1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

pipe smells like the cabinet my grandmother keeps stinky candles in

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by hagbard, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hagbard

hagbard Member

I picked up this pipe on Ebay of a design that pleases me more than any other style I have seen before. Well, when it came it stunk. Not like a nasty old pipe but like it had been sitting in either an old lady's stinky candle drawer or next to something I don't want to think about in an antique store. So I reamed it and blew a couple blows of 5 bros. through it. Still smelled like hell. So I reamed it a little more and gave it a salt/booze treatment. Still stunk. So I reamed the **** out of it until I could start to see wood and then gave it a several day salt/booze treatment. Damn thing still smelled like bad old lady candles! So I tossed it in the basket where I keep the rest of my pipes and decided to think about it later. I took it out a couple days after to demonstrate for someone how bad it smelled and low and behold, the smell had noticeably decreased. So I brought it back to my "tobacco to be smoked trunk", opened up an 8 Oz. bag of STOE, stuffed the bowl full and buried the pipe in the tobacco. That was Saturday. I'm now smoking the pipe and there is very little trace of the smell left. Hopefully it will go away after a few lat bombs are doped on it. If not does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the bayberry candle stink out? And No, I'm not going to just dedicate the pipe to aero's.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Congratulations, dear boy, you have discovered the "Lakeland Essence". I have a beautiful little Caminetto lovat that I still struggle with, after about 3 salt alcohols, a couple of pouches of 5Bros and 4 months of smoking it's finally coming around.

3. hagbard

hagbard Member

?

It certainly wasn't a Lakeland "florals". It was a candle smell as far as I can tell. Or at least somethign my grandmother keeps in that drwar where she also keeps chop sticks. I can't eat with those sticks.

4. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Seems to me that I read that one of the better known pipe repair establishments had an ozone chamber for de-stinking pipes. I can't remember where I read that but I'll look around....

EDIT: Walker Briar Works.

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/ozone.html

5. hagbard

hagbard Member

Yeah I think that's actually the only place listed in the pipe repair section here. I knew about that one too and was ultimately planning on sending the thing out there if all else failed.. Ozone works. When I was a kid we grew grass to pay the rent and keep smoking. Nothing would control the smell accept ozone generators and it was like night and day.

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I have an estate Sav with a similar ghost. Bought it back in May and the taste is finally going away, its still present down in the heel, but hopefully that will fade as well. The previous owner must have known about it because it was reamed down to bare wood before I got it. What a pain in the ass.

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Just a couple things I learned as usual - the hard way.

First, the ozone treatment does work!

Second, if the smell is persistent you may need to drill out the shank a little to remove a small layer of contaminated wood. It's surprising how much pipe taste and odor emanates from the shank - not the bowl! All that's needed is to remove just a thin layer usually does the job.

Just my $.02 worth. Sounds like you've got the problem solved, anyhoo... :whistle:

BTW, I had a pipe, bought on eBay, that I believe was soaked in some sort of urinal deodorizer/disinfectant. It couldn't be saved. Nice pipe too!

Will

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

It's the Mix XX curse......

The only way out is with Five Bros. and/or PA and smoke it out.

It can be done, man......we have the technology......do it!

9. hagbard

hagbard Member

Right. Well the thing is I don't think the odor is from anything that was smoked in it. Sounds nuts because we all are used to having to deal with a nasty ghost or a sour pipe but I believe this was not smoked to nastiness. I think it was stored next to something nasty. I'll burn this whole pouch or 5 bros. through it (thanks BTW Rugs!) and then continue to lat bomb it. The smell can't be any kind of tobacco. Can it? I wish I could send sample smells to people to inspect. The smell is obvious from the outside of the pipe and after all the cleaning there is little odor in a drag from it. Well I have it in front of the fan now and in a little bit it goes back in the bag with the STOE. That's where it's going to live until this is finished.
    Oh and BTW, once I was done smoking and rubbed the bowl out with a paper towel I gave the pipe a sniff. It's still there! WTF! Back into the lat hole you go until you learn to behave!

What if I soaked the entire thing in a bowl of bleach for a couple'a days?

Nice. I will keep that as a disaster recovery plan.

Is that the pipe in your barn you let the pigeons **** on? :whistle:

10. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

My poltergeist smelled/tasted like I was smoking a retirement home, but I'm positive it was from something smoked in the pipe, some nasty aromatic or lakeland, nothing could work its way so deeply into the briar if it wasn't smoked in. Ghosts are funny that way, its not going to taste exactly like a particular blend and in all probability its an unholy union of a variety of blends that come out smelling like a candle cabinet or an old folks home.

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

smoke dark flake scented or black XX twist in it. you won't notice the candle smell.

12. Jay

Jay Active Member

I had a stinker and it didn't get better until I completly reamed it to the wood S/A teatment over and over then I read about using vinegar and thought I messed the pipe up because it wouldn't stop stinking of vinegar. Then I left it out for a week and didn't touch it and the stinky baccy smell (vanilla??) and the vinegar smell was gone.

I would only recommend this as a last resort. Maybe someone else has done similar.

J

But Granny's candle drawer might be impervious to nuclear bombs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.