Pipe Smoking a Hobby?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Coastal Bend, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

From time to time I see references to pipe smoking as a hobby. Everything is subject to personal definition, but for me pipe smoking is something I do, something I enjoy. I also enjoy eating steak, walking on the beach and playing games with the granddaughter -- but I don't regard those activities as hobbies either.

To me a hobby is like collecting coins, woodworking or building model trains -- to name a few of the many hobbies people enjoy.

When it comes to pipes if one collects pipes, even if part of PAD to add to an ever increasing rotation, that can be a hobby. Also restoring pipes and/or modifying pipes can be a hobby. (It can also be a business AND a hobby in some cases.) Collecting and cellaring tobacco can be a hobby and the trading of pipes and tobacco that result from any of these activities can also be considered a hobby. But the smoking part -- I just have trouble thinking of that as a hobby.

2. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

It could be argued that both the collection and smoking of pipes and tobacco is a hobby.

User4408 and Coastal Bend like this.
  3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....of course you do! - me too!, 'cos it aint!....my hobby (one of them) is making things on my machines, while doing that I smoke a pipe or small cigar - but that's not a f#*@in hobby!:old:
    OT;)
    I suppose some will say collecting lots of tins of tobacco - as a stock for the future, is a hobby, well, if I asked the wife if that row upon row of canned foodstuff was her hobby - she'd most likely throw one at me!.

rondel65, MikeInMaine, dwaugh and 3 others like this.
  4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

It's funny you say that. I feel the same way, but, which is part and parcel of the other? Is smoking part of the tobacco collecting or part of the pipe collecting? Is pipe collecting or tobacco collecting part of the smoking aspect of it. Are they two different things/hobbies? Where does one overlap into the other. Is the action not part of the hobby?
    I raise these questi0ns and now you can see why my Bride of 35 years thinks I am crazy.:ohyh:

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I'm a pipe and cigar smoker, not a pipe and cigar hobbyist, that's silly.

Otoolefan, Artistik and Coastal Bend like this.
  6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

well ask her if her hobby is grocery collecting!;)

Coastal Bend likes this.
  7. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Hobby= What polite folks call an obsession

mongo and Coastal Bend like this.
  8. Coastal Bend

Right. I agree. If someone thinks their pipe smoking is an obsession they probably need to enroll in a program.

9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

That would not get me very far, as I am the grocery shopper of the family most of the time. I have to, she eats like a bird!

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

mine does!.....a £#*$ing vulture!;)

11. bosun

bosun Active Member

Eats like a bird? Her weight in bugs every day? (G)
    Anything that isn't a necessity can be a hobby..
    Unless it is an addiction, then it becomes a necessity!

User4408 likes this.
  12. Robin

Robin Member

I suppose that would depend on the smoker, when I smoked cigarettes there was no question about it, I was addicted to nicotine. I only smoke a pipe now, and no longer have "nic fits", I rarely leave home with a pipe, and on weekdays smoke no more than one bowl of pipe tobacco, weekends two or three bowls max. I'll say I'm a pipe smoker, but to me it has the aspect of a hobby too, trying different tobaccos, getting a new pipe, or other pipe related gizmo etc. makes it as much a hobby as an addiction. I know one thing for sure, either way, I find my "pipe time" very relaxing at the end of a long day. :)

Smokey and User4408 like this.
  13. Artistik

Artistik Member

I smoke my pipes, buy pipes I like and tobacco that I enjoy, with an occasional new one thrown in to try out. I don't think of it as a hobby, collecting or an obsession. Like breathing, it's just something I do.

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

well said young man!:th1:

15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Pipesmoking! Hobby, pastime or addiction?

Don't be ridiculous. It's merely hobbitual.

16. Coastal Bend

:haha:

17. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

It sure cost $$$ like a hobby.

18. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

I am just curious how much time you spend on Steak eating forums, or beach walking forums. I think it all depends on how a person wants to define it, but to me, my Grandfather was a pipe smoker. He had two pipes and smoked one kind of tobacco that I know of and I don't ever remember him talking about pipe smoking, he just smoked them. I think if someone like trying different tobaccos, admires different shapes of pipes, and spends time on forums or talking to other pipe smokers, its probably a hobby. However, if you are uncomfortable calling it that, I don't think anyone is enforcing any rules and I agree pipe and cigar hobbyist sounds riduculous.

19. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I wish I could afford to a lobster-tail hobby.

Robin and surlysoul like this.
  20. Coastal Bend

Well, I did acknowledge in the OP that it is subject to "personal definition." I will say that I managed pretty well on my own for over 40 years smoking my pipe regularly without being part of a club, organization or forum. I found this forum when I was trying to learn more about corn cob pipes, to be honest. I've enjoyed sticking around to learn what others are thinking and maybe offer a wee bit of advice or input now and then. Parse it how you like, for me, I will maintain there are aspects to pipes that qualify as a hobby, but I don't consider the smoking part to be a "hobby." It is just what I do.

surlysoul and Robin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.