Pipe smoking "console" I want on my desk / table

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by derangedhermit, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

I see pipe stands and open ashtrays, and some combo things that add a jar or two for tobacco. But I find nothing so far like what I envision for placing on my home office desk, my den table, and my nightstand.

It is a single unit that has:
    - a tall cup or cylinder that will hold 100 pipe cleaners upright, for easy access.
    - a tall thin bottle (or provision for same) for holding Everclear or whatever one wants for pipe cleaner / sweetener between smokes - to dip the pipe cleaner in.
    - a shallow cutout for a 20z / 50 round tobacco tin.
    - a place that holds a Zippo, or other pipe lighter, and/or 100 matches or so.
    - room for a small pipe stand of my choice.
    - a shallow cutout for a metal container for smoking waste. Ashes smell bad, and after every smoke I have ash, a dirty pipe cleaner, and maybe a paper towel or other wiping item. Putting them in a trash can lets the odor out; I want a handy desktop container with a lid, maybe 8" tall and 4" wide.
    - a place to put my pipe tool.

Maybe others can share how they deal with avoiding ash smell, organizing their main smoking area, etc. Or just point me to just the thing I have in mind but did not know existed.

Thanks,
    Lee

mitchell and just5042 like this.

2. Jayson

Jayson Member

Following along. Want one for my sun porch/smoking room.

3. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Like you said, just empty the ashtray and throw out pipe cleaners, they are what stink! :confused:

4. derangedhermit

When I smoked cigarettes, I used an ashtray with a lid (actually a Fortnum and Mason tea tin). That keeps the ashtray stink down to zero unless you are in the act. I'd have to fold pipe cleaners up to fit in their standard large tin. I guess I could do that.

PlumberKing likes this.
  5. derangedhermit

Attempt to insert a picture of a prototype "smoking tray". All components found at Target last night.
    [​IMG]
    Tall bottle on left will have small hole in cork for pipe cleaner to fit though and be filled with Everclear. Next is 100 pipe cleaners in an 8oz Kerr jar. Next is some empty space filled with a pouch to be smoked. Last on right is a candle holder for a motive or tea scented candle.

Next row, first on left is a pint jar for smoking detritus - ash and dottle, used pipe cleaners, wipes, etc. I'll spray paint the outside to hide the contents. Next are three jars of baccy.

The front is rather sparse and unsettled. The tray is too large. I will line the bottoms with something soft, to prevent marring the pipes. The Doctor's knife i use as a pipe tool got left out, and I want to make little cubbies for both that and the lighter.

Again, this isn't my pipe and supply storage area, or my cellar. It's to be on an end table or my home office desk. I may need two or three of these, once the design is set.

6. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

You are onto something here. Some thoughts from my own routine:

1. I don't think I would need the Everclear bottle because I'm not sweetening my pipes constantly. I think this would be a nice place to keep a rag or tissues, making that space a bit larger.
    2. 100 pipe cleaners is a lot. Making the first space a tad wider would accommodate the rag/tissue space and would just let you lay a suitable amount of fresh cleaners alongside the pouch. This might widen things a bit to be too large for the votive candle, which I think is an excellent touch. Putting the cleaners under the pouch is acceptable.
    3. I prefer to smoke directly from tins rather than jars, but this shouldn't be much of a problem if they're tilted.
    4.I agree the front is too large. There only needs to be room for four pipes plus the one in the rest. Too much space invites clutter and the second vertical slot is too large for most pipe tools. The whole point of this is to be organized. Any spare space will be filled up with stray coins, pocket lint, and whatnot, which is against the spirit of this endeavor.

Did you make this tray yourself or is that from Target also? I think this would be better as one piece, an actual tray, rather than two interlocking pieces. I think it would be nice to carry a tray from place to place around my house with everything I need. It would be much better than the back and forth I usually go through before I settle down, again and again.

I've been thinking a lot about an in-house kit, as you seem to be also. Maybe there is something in the air. I haven't gone so far as to start to assemble the equipment, so you've inspired me. I like this idea a lot and it's a worthwhile project. I'll be thinking about it more seriously now. Unfortunately, I have no woodworking skills.

Smoke in good health.

dBear, derangedhermit and mitchell like this.
  7. derangedhermit

A man after my own heart! Comments / questions on your remarks:
    1. What do you use the rag/tissues for?
    2. The pipe cleaners fit in an 8oz Kerr/Mason jar, which seems to be the standard size around here for cellaring. And they are cheap. A smaller container could be used, but keep in mind if you want to store the pipecleaners upright, a wide base adds stability. The jar can't be much shorter. The possibility to lay cleaners horizontally is a good idea. Strange, you like the candle idea, my wife saw no reason. Optional.
    3. I was thinking about tilting the jars / tins also. I'm saving old tins to measure their dimensions. Either flat or tilted should be possible, and tins up to 100g. But tilted does make it harder to reach low stuff behind. Maybe they go in the back, although I figured most-used in front, least-used in back, and also low stuff in front, tall stuff in back. I think it makes no sense to tilt the aluminum tins like C&D uses.

The tray came from the kitchen drawer organizer section of Target. They had a non-expandable one that is about the right size, but did not have a large enough open area for the flat jars. I would have had to start hacking immediately. Small handles like on some serving or TV-dinner trays would make moving it easier.

I'm thinking the best set-up is a tray that can be tranported (or not), and that is flexible in accommodating different setups.

I think the maximum number of pipes and tins that need to be accommodated is a key size factor. Also if people want room for an ashtray of some sort, and it's max size. 17"Wx16"D is what you see in the picture; 16x12 is doable with what I have in there. I don't know if that is a good size to shoot for, though. Small is good.

BTW - the Everclear container is an olive oil bottle, now with a wine cork cut down to fit, with a small drilled hole in the cork to dip the pipe cleaner into without having to open the bottle.

I seem to also be assembling a mini-version for the bedroom: 1 pipe, 1 aromatic blend, and accessories - lighter, pipe tool / doctor's knife, pipe cleaners, lidded jar for ash and other smelly refuse.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  8. aquaholic

aquaholic Member

Nice idea! I use an empty 8oz glp tin to put my spent pipe cleaners in, keeps the stink down.

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have a clay pot my wife made, that holds my pipe cleaners on my desk. Also on the desk is a wood box, made from Mesquite with a carved lid. It holds my lighters and tampers. Pipes are on their own rack above the desk and leaf are in the cabinets to either side.

I like the sound of a tray for the back deck. I wouldn't want it too big though. I don't need the booze for cleaning either, as I only do that 2 - 3 times per year. Now booze for drinking... That might need a spot.

10. Whalehead King

1. I use a rag to wipe of the tenon (mortise?) when I'm cleaning the pipe, also to do a quick tissue ream after a smoke, especially with some of my smaller bowl pipes. It's like carrying a hankie (or a pocketknife), you don't need it, but it comes in handy when you have it.

2. Your wife is right, but that's why I like the candle. "I'm going to smoke my pipe and I think I'll light this candle. That will be nice." It's just a nice touch to something that is essentially masculine. Plus, what if the power goes out? (See the handkerchief example above).

3. I see what you mean about the tins. I'm sure it will work itself out after living with it.

I agree, handles would be the icing on this cake. I might just get a tray without all the compartmentalization and see how I like it, then customize from there.

Thanks for bringing this up!

derangedhermit likes this.
  11. derangedhermit

I kinda liked the candle too. Mood-setting. Man likes open flame. Some scents, too.

The compartment thing came mainly because I'm using a lot of glass, and a couple tall things, one containing flammable liquid, I wanted to keep from sliding around or off. A plain tray with a lip around the edge would do nicely in many or most cases. I am kind of an organization fanatic, though.

You're most welcome.

12. Whalehead King

You're right. Set the mood. As long as you are contemplating the flavor, you can stare at the candle flame and daydream. I'm all for it. It isn't necessary, just nice.

I've put a tray from Amazon in my shopping cart, a bright red Zak Designs tray with handles made of space age melamine! I would have preferred wood, but all the good-sized wooden serving trays (with the handles we're thinking of) came with legs for breakfast in bed. I didn't see a need for legs. I just use the tins or tubs tobacco comes in, so I don't have a lot of glass worries, though I may use a ceramic ashtray with cork knocker, which I also think is a nice touch (but somewhat defeats the purpose of the "ash can").

I smoke in back of my house most of the time, and I'm always walking back and forth through my long house to fetch things I need or have forgotten, so I think it will be nice to have a central supply depot in my study and a portable kit to stock and carry to wherever I happen to settle. I am not organized at all, which makes the imposed organization of compartments attractive, but using the free form tray may teach me what compartments I really need to be organized and build off of that. I also suspect that even with compartments, my tray will just become a pile of this and that, so it's probably better to field test what I need and don't need before committing to a set structure.

I think we are onto something here, a sort of silent butler.

13. derangedhermit

Pipe smoking tray, v0.2. I removed the sliding drawer, and reattached the front piece from it to make a simple box. I'd also remove the one remaining divider, but it's glued to the bottom and attempts to remove it threaten to destroy the tray.

The Everclear bottle is gone, and the pipe cleaner jar replaced with an elastic band used for ponytails. I pull a cleaner out as needed. The right jar is my waste jar; I like having it. The empty front corner is "work space".

I lined the bottom with self-adhering cork I found at HD for lining drawer bottoms. Quiet and things don't slide easily.

I suspect the next iteration will be home-built, with somewhat different dimensions. Then I can nix the divider, lower the side heights some, and maybe incorporate handles into the sides.

[​IMG]

14. Whalehead King

I like the cork. I notice there's still room for the candle. Right on!

ruffinogold likes this.
  15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

interesting ;) . . ya got my brain ticking

16. derangedhermit

Pitch in here when your tray comes in and you get a preliminary setup.:th1:

Whalehead King likes this.
  17. derangedhermit

Amazon link: Wood serving tray with handles, $20. About the same size (11.5"x17") as mine. Search on "wood serving tray with handles" yielded many results of different sizes, shapes, styles, price.

Cork can be added. Mine came in a roll 18"Wx48"L.

18. ruffinogold

I like the idea ! Maybe a thicker piece of wood [ bottom ] with the sections routed out for the items to fit in , instead of sectioning off with rails . Everything would have to be measured for a good " easy tight " custom fit . It would be a nice item for when youre going to the porch to smoke or to keep as ready to go . The key would be to pick the items [ jars , bottles , lighters etc .. ] with a good amount of thought as to replacement and looks . Damn you , deranged ..... now I want to build another damn thing !:beck:

The labels on the top of your jars rock !

dBear and derangedhermit like this.
  19. derangedhermit

Yes, I thought about a thicker slab with areas routed out, but I don't have the skills. Say two circles for round 50g tins (or jars), two smaller rectangle for 50g tins, a trough for pipe cleaners, a rectangle for the Zippo to stand upright in, a pipe tool hole, maybe even a couple areas for pipes, with at least one upright, for resting a lit pipe for a moment, or letting a finished one cool. Maybe a round one with a cork bottom for a tumbler of a refreshing beverage. An inset so you can lay cork flush with the surface for a small pipe-fiddling work area.

Thank you. Avery 22830 (2.5") or 22807 (2") round labels, download template, screw around in Word or LibreOffice Writer with the font of your choice. That's a font I made from my own handprinting.

ruffinogold likes this.
  20. ruffinogold

Yes :thu2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.