Pipe smoking in San Francisco?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by DanielMelange, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Hello everyone. In about a month or so I am going to SF for five months, and of course I expect to continue smoking my pipe when I'm there. (as well as to be able to order some online which I can't get to Sweden due to insane customs fees)

Now, I'm curious, are there any laws that prohibit smoking in public places, pubs, clubs, restaurants and whatnot?

Are there any good pipe/tobacco shops (and no, I do not mean head shops, which there are plenty of) around the city? My googling turns up a lot of places, just not that caters to tobacco, but rather the wacky tobbacy, the Mary Jane variety.

2. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

...and of course mere seconds after posting this I find there is another thread on the topic on the same page. Yet, my question remains about the legislation :)

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Unfortunately Daniel, smoking in SF is illegal in: "city parks, restaurants, common areas of buildings, within 15 feet of business doorways - practically anywhere but homes, portions of the sidewalk and the middle of the street." (SF Chronicle).

I am not a local in SF, I'm an hour and half south of there, but I've definitely spent some time there and tobacco tolerance is very very low.

4. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I'm visiting in two weeks for a holiday, ill be taking my pipes. I'll let you know if I get arrested or anything.

5. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

So maybe I can just tell them I'm smoking weed that just happens to smell like delicious tobacco!

That sucks though, especially since considering the accommodations I will be having will likely limit me from smoking at home as well. I hear pipe smoking is making a resurgence among hipsters, and SF is full of them, surely someone is doing something to rectify this problem. They have T-1.5 months! :P

Thanks TheKiltedOne, I appreciate it :)

jgWatson likes this.
  6. Jazzzzzzz1

Jazzzzzzz1 Member

7. BigB

BigB Member

There is a Tobacconist just north of the golden gate called Telford's that has a smoking lounge area.

Also, in my experience, while it is illegal to smoke in many outdoor area's like parks, it's almost never enforced here in California. Stay away from playgrounds, give the other people some space, and you'll probably be left alone.

Smoking indoors isn't allowed at all except in tobacconists shops and your own home. Even your own home is illegal now in some cities if you share a wall with other people.

8. Spillproof

That's a good point BigB.

In general, the SF police are looking for blood. In the absence of blood, they'd rather just let you go about your business.

Old Codger likes this.
  9. BigB

BigB Member

Yeah in my experience I've never gotten even a second looks from a police officer while smoking in public. Some goofball sitting alone on a park bench with a pipe or even one of those evil cigarette's is the least of their concerns in a city full of traffic, drugs, homeless, etc. I imagine that even if they received a complaint, the worst you're probably going to get is an officer asking you to put it out and move along. I doubt they want the paper work from writing a smoking ticket, and while they do exist, I've never met anyone who's actually received a smoking tickets. Heck it takes the police 2 hours sometimes to show up for a car accident if no one is hurt, they might not show up at all for a "guy smoking in the park" complaint..

Spillproof likes this.
  10. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Don't try smoking on the the strand or sand in Santa Monica/Venice Beach, because you will be ticketed there.
    San Francisco is a great town, with friendly, interesting people, outstanding restaurants, and a killer music/nightclub scene. Just don't expect to enjoy tobacco around any of it.

11. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I got back home yesterday. I was quite surprised to be offered the choice in smoking or non smoking room when I checked in, I didn't have any trouble while smoking when out and about. I was given the recommendation that it was okay to smoke on the street while walking but that it wouldn't be appreciated if I was stopped to look in the window of a store extra.

As an aside the whole time I was there I couldn't find any Carter Hall or SWR, Captain Black on the other hand was fairly easy to get a hold of.

12. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

I've been out and about in San Francisco for just over two weeks now, smoked in numerous places, and never had any complaints. Earlier today I sat in a park, but a bit to the side of everyone, and no one said anything. A bicycle cop even went by, looked at me and then continued on his way. So it seems like people are way more chill here than what I was lead to believe by googling, as long as you don't blow smoke in their faces.

Spillproof and TheKiltedOne like this.
  13. Spillproof

Good to hear. It's really cigarette smokers that are reviled.
    Good chance people think you're smoking pot and are therefore tolerant ;-)

derrickyoung and Thuber88 like this.
  14. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Just thought I'd make another little update to this thread. Went out today on a 25 mile bikeride and passed by Telford's up in Mill Valley. The pipe and cigar shop is something beautiful to behold, and to smell, really, to let your senses really take it in all the way. Great selection of pipes and pipe tobacco. Ended up leaving there with some sorely missed Nightcap and some of their own blend which smells suspiciously similar to Stanwell Melange, I look forward to try it hopefully later this evening. Great smoking area both outside and inside. Hopefully I'll make it back there before I leave San Francisco. If you're ever in the bay area, do definitely step by.

highstump likes this.
  15. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I was in SF about a month ago and smoked my pipe while walking down congested sidewalks and had no problem, other than a few crappy looks from some people. But I could care less about those people. :)

16. Thor

Thor Member

I was still smoking cigarettes when i visited San Fran. And we smoked outside bars walking down the street and had no issues at all.

Eric Pierson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.