Pipe storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

buistd

Hi there - Just a quick question to get people's opinions - What are the benefits of storing pipes bowl-down (as with most pipe racks)? I am currently waiting for a well-priced pipe rack to come up on ebay but in the meantime I am keeping my pipes bowl-up in an old (clean!) ceramic mustard jar. Any thoughts?

HCraven

I've heard that residual moisture can work it's way into the stem and leave a fowl taste on the tongue if you store them upside down, but I've never tried it. My understanding is that it's more traditional on that side of the pond to store them upside down, though, so maybe it's just us Americans trying to come up with a reason why our way is better.

Herb

The only benefit to bowl down that I can think of is that gravity will help the moisture work it's way to the bowl as has been mentioned. Theoretically speaking that should speed drying since the bowl gets more air circulation. I would agree that slow drying moisture in the stem could impart a bad taste.

buistd

Good point about the moisture slipping into the stem. I nearly always clean my pipes after every use - yesterday I just started a charring light and had to stop and run a pipe cleaner down the stem. Maybe I had not cleaned it the previous time but I suspect that I probably had, and the bizarre residual taste was due to it being stored bowl-up.

Good work chaps.

TheKiltedOne

There are a few cheap pipe racks on eBay just now, I got one last night for under a fiver and there's a couple more that end in the next day or two

beaupipe

I store mine bowl up (ringed round various old tobacco tubs) and I've never noticed any problems. I invariably give my pipes a good cleaning a couple hours after a smoke, so maybe that's enough to rescue the stems from foul tasting, creeping moisture.

Ol Brokedik

I store all my pipes stem down. I used my drill press to cut twenty one 1/14" holes in some shelves. If you have any kind of a display case you can do this with ease. Also, my stems are all acrylic so no problem with foul taste. I believe this way I give my pipes the best opportunity to air out. I don't have to worry about balance as there's no chance any pipe can fall over.

OBD.

buistd

There are a few cheap pipe racks on eBay just now, I got one last night for under a fiver and there's a couple more that end in the next day or two
I just got one of them - Was yours from trammys? I bought the oak 3-a-side rack they were selling. Cost £15 including delivery which was perhaps a little over the odds but I liked it and needed it so why not?! Have you seen the new UK trading section by the way? I asked Woody to create a separate area for us lot.

IrishRover

I've heard that residual moisture can work it's way into the stem and leave a fowl taste on the tongue if you store them upside down, Herb
Yep that's what I've been told too. I never tested the theory out - I doubt I will either..no need to have the nasty taste if I don't have it now...

TheKiltedOne

I just got one of them - Was yours from trammys? I bought the oak 3-a-side rack they were selling. Cost £15 including delivery which was perhaps a little over the odds but I liked it and needed it so why not?! Have you seen the new UK trading section by the way? I asked Woody to create a separate area for us lot.
I've no idea where mine was from the seller said it was branded as Talent, so I'll just have to wait until I get hands on with it.
I've seen mention of the new uk trading section but haven't gotten round too looking at it yet

t-bear

Both...I have a 30 pipe wall rack that has the bottom 10 pointing stem down. As long as I clean my pipes after every smoke, I've had no problem.

Whalehead King

If I recall, the most contentious topic ever to appear in a Dear Abby or Ann Landers column (I could never tell one from the other) was which way was the best direction in which to hang the toilet paper.

I keep the seat up.
WK

Puff The Magic

Just smoked bowls are kept bowl down until I run a pc through it. Either on a rest or an Ikea toothbrush holder (Puff's DGT rack). Some of my Petes are so thick shank'd that they won't fit bowl down so they hangout upside down....but only after the pc.

Ed
Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.