Pipe Tobacco - overwelmed

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Master Chief, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

Been hitting the pipe off/on for 20 years. (mostly off)
    Back at it. Bought a blend at my local cigar/pipe shop.
    My question, I see all of the thousands of tobacco out there and wonder how to purchase online?
    How do you figure out what you like? My stuff is a local blend, no way to cross it.
    I would like to stock up before taxes go up but need to figure what I like.
    How did you guys do it?
    Where does the un-informed start ? Just by trail and error ?

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Hi Master Chief... welcome to the forums! I am still a newbie.. 1 year at the pipe. I mostly read the forum and post question after question. These guys are very intelligent and no question is thought upon as menial. There is a good site Tobacco Reviews where you can read reviews and ratings (star)...
    Like you I am still learning and would like to stock up, but what to stock up on - ugh! there are too many choices - I feel your pain..

3. Jay

Jay Active Member

Greeting Master Chief. For me, it helped to figure what types of tobacco I enjoyed. Burley, Virginia, Latakia, aromatics etc. Then based on those likes or dislikes, explore what is offered in those strains of tobacco. A lot of it is trial and error, reading, research and such. If you have a chance, sign up for the next box pass as they are full of stuff you may never have the chance or budget to try on your own.

J

4. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

What is a "box pass" ?

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

+1 on tobaccoreviews.com
    You can search tobaccos by star ratings, which can give you a good idea of what is well liked (or what to avoid). Unfortunately a lot of tobaccos get 3-star ratings (recommended), so it's not that simple, but that's where endless hours of research come in, though it's usually interesting, anyway. If you know what kinds of tobaccos you like (Latakia, Virginia, etc.) you can use the advanced search function and display only blends with specific components.

I won't tell you that trial and error don't play a roll, nor that you won't occasionally spend some hard-earned scratch on something you wind up not liking. That's where we come in. There is a trading forum where you can offer up something you might not want for something you want to try, and lots of folks have good luck there. As you participate in discussions, you may well find a member who will happily send you a couple of bowls of something from their cellar to try, too. There are also box passes organized by members that look like great fun (I plan on getting in on the next one; search "box pass" in the forums to read the thread on the current one). In short, you've landed in the right place.

Don't get too anxious about it though. I know taxes and prices go up over time, and it gets harder to afford to try everything you want to try for that reason, but pipe tobacco is still a bargain compared to cigars or cigarettes. Right now, my benchmark is about $10 for a 50g tin of premium leaf, plus shipping for an online purchase or a couple extra bucks if purchased at a B&M. In my state, that's about 2 packs of cigs (2 days smoking for a pack-a-day smoker), or one to two moderately priced cigars. 50 grams of pipe tobacco will outlast either of those things by a long shot. There are also a lot of good bulks and OTC's that can be had for less. Just sayin', keep price in perspective and enjoy your hobby.

Great to have you here, BTW. I look forward to your future posts.

Herb

Rewster66 and nitehawk like this.
  6. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

HC....you hit the nail on the head. Everyone's tastes are a little different, what someone say's is great, you may think is garbage. And, vice-versa, so trail & error does play a part. So, try one or two at a time, and find your own way......BTW.....HC...is...the Chairman of the Bored....inside joke.....LOL

HCraven likes this.
  7. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

OK Thanks to all. Looks like I have a little research to do. As you said that is part of the fun.
    Thanks Again

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Now I'm gonna have to pay Woody $25 so that can be my tagline. Happy to do it, though. This place is great and deserves my support. (hint, hint)

Payday's tomorrow Woody...

nitehawk likes this.
  9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Spot on advice!:th1:

HCraven likes this.
  10. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Welcome Master Chief! A box pass is something that both you and I missed out on, grrrrr. Something about a box full of pipe goodies that gets mailed to members on a "list". Did I mentioned I missed getting on the list?

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Welcome, MC! Alternatively, you
    can try trading other members for
    samples in the Trading Post. Send
    out requested toby, and receive some
    (more than you send, probably) new
    ones back. This is a great way to try
    new tobacco.

dp

12. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Most smokers have favorite blenders and tobacco types. Thru some experimentation, learn what tobacco blends you like, it really isn't that difficult. Look for ones similar to what you like.

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

14. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

15. Prof

Prof Member

Again, I have had the same problem - I have extensively reviewed TR, read what folks on here and elsewhere say, and purchased accordingly - I have picked up some extra tins of popular blends, and I figure, if I don't like them - I will trade and or sell them and at least probably recoup what I have into them - also, worse comes to worse and I will have a hot commodity if big brother decides we are all too stupid to make *any* decisions for ourselves, and reduces our freedom of choice to "zero" tolerance because "they" know better than we do...so, stock up my friend, cellar and enjoy.

B

16. cellophane

cellophane Member

Next time you are in the shop just ask them what the blend is. If they are worth their salt (imo) they will happily tell you what the blend is and be able to recommend something similar, or even dissimilar so you can expand your palette. You may even be suprised by what they sell as a house mix.

17. Beale

Beale Active Member

Welcome to the site!!

I will be honest? I started in the aro's and am now smoking flakes? I asked for a kind donation and got one!! I also use the trading post with great results. Experiment, enjoy, have fun! I know I am! Beale.

18. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

If you were to ask a hundred smokers what the "best" blend is, you would get a hundred answers. The only way to find the blends that will be your favorites is to sample dozens of different ones. On the positive side, finding those "perfect" blends is part of the fun. Happy hunting.

19. Redone

Redone Member

I find just hanging around on this board with all the experienced smokers you will see allot of tobacco names keep popping up in threads. I then search them, see the reviews and think if i might like them and then order. If I dont I know I can use the trading forum. There are allot of great guys on here that will even offer to send out samples and have done so for me and I thank them. There are some great people on this board with good advice.

20. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

Ahoy MC,
    I'm just buying one of everything and trying a bowl full out of each pipe I own. With being deployed, I have a year to figure it out.
    It sounds crazy but some tobaccos just don't do well in some pipes, and some combinations are well... "oustanding".

Visit a local tobacconist and get an ounce of everything and see what you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.