Pipe Tobacco - overwelmed

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Master Chief, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

Thanks again all. Great suggestions !!!

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Carvin' y'er way through 4000+ blends ain't easy.......... without TR and forums like PSF, I'd be lost, broke, and with a pile of toby that was "hit/miss"!

Puff's Madness TAD Tactics:

Research 3 and 4 star TR rated toby. Read the reviews, especially paying attention to how many times a toby has been reviewed. A 4 star with only one reviewer is way more askew than a 4 star with 500 reviews........ and the 500 has more credibility. Initially, I only spent time with the 3 & 4 star's toby, can't go wrong with these, many folks like 'em and if you don't and your revisit shows you still don't like it, it's great trade-bait.

Only problem with sticking with the 3 & 4 stars is that some of the 2 star and even the 1 star toby is quite good or at least I found that I like them too. But to be safe, stick with the 3 & 4. I used to carry around a printout of the 4 star toby so I could make a somewhat informed decision in the event I stumbled upon a dusty old tin that was in hiding in a b&m.

Advanced research methodology is scanning online etailers and keep track (mentally) of the "out of stock" toby, somebody's gotta be clearing the shelves! It must be liked by many (or a rich SOB who just plain likes the stuff!). If it's seldom in stock, or disappears quickly, that speaks volumes.

Try every toby at least a few times prior to giving up on it. Sometimes just by opening the tin and letting it set for a week or two (sometimes it's just hours) makes a world of difference in the toby's performance.

Get in on the next "box pass".

Oh, and WELCOME Master C !

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Arkie and Rewster66 like this.
  3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Ditto! Great advice Puff!

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I think finding those blends may be more than half the fun. Most cigarette smokers have found their brand, and you don't really see a cigarette smokers forum online. Of course, who knows, there might be one, but I'd guess it's a little depressing...

Now Smoking

Camel Light in a dank alley. I wish that bum would throw his empty bottles of Night Train in the trash can I put out here for him.

Marlboro Red in the men's room, urinal cake on the side.. Hiding from my boss.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's the thrill of the hunt. Trying new to you tobaccos is exciting, finding one or several that you really like is what it's all about. True, you find some "duds" but revisiting them later may completely change your mind where the "dud" turns into a "diamond" for you.

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.