Pipe tools and style - doctor's knives

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by derangedhermit, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

I like to have things that I find pleasing to use, and that seem appropriate to me when they are part of a few things used together, like a pipe tool and a briar pipe. I haven't been satisfied with the appearance of either the common steel "pocket knife" style tools or the Czech-style.

My solution is a "doctor's knife", a small folding knife; specifically one that come with a spatula, that I will use to clean the bowl, and I'll tamp, when need be, with that characteristic flat butt.

I found a knife on ebay that suits me very well, stamped with my home state, with Bois D'Arc for the handle. Bois D'Arc wood is native to Texas, and has some unique characteristics - it won't rot and won't burn. Hundred-year-old Bois D'Arc fenceposts are still on the job holding up barbed wire all over east and central Texas. It's a Case, a good knife, at a reasonable price, to me, for what it is. Not all pipe accessories are.

I always carry some sort of pocket knife anyway, so this will often mean one less thing in my pocket.

I thought this doctor's knife might be an example of an alternative that someone else might find and enjoy.

2. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Thats a lovely knife :) I've always liked czech tools, just because they're what I know best. That said, your knife blows it out of the water in aesthetic terms! I never really use to prong/picker on my tool anyway, so it wouldnt be missed

umfunix and Just Smitty like this.
  3. derangedhermit

Thanks, Lukasaurus.

4. vmfa314

vmfa314 Member

The biggest problem I see is the knife blade is pointy which will gouge out the bottom of the pipe rather quickly. Now if it had a rounded tip then I would say yes to it being a pipe tool.
    Mack

umfunix likes this.
  5. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

That is a nice knife! I carry a Czech tool because it's lite, but i also carry a knife at all times. I may need to look into a dual purpose tool as well!

6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

7. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I like it. What is the purpose of the flat tipped blade? And why is it called a doctors knife?

umfunix likes this.
  8. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

that is a very cool pocket knife, and i know case makes quality, but derangedhermit OMG I JUST NOTICED YOUR AVATAR!!! o)

urza's block FTW!

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have that knife, but mine is bright orange. Impossible to misplace.

BradNTX likes this.
  10. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

I think the flat tip blade is called a spatula blade if I'm thinking correct and it was used to count out pills/mix pharmaceuticals

umfunix and MikeInMaine like this.
  11. derangedhermit

Check the "spatula" thingy. Old-time doctors used it to scoop powders or count pills.

umfunix likes this.
  12. derangedhermit

Good idea. I have two, for when I lose the first one. They come in John Deere green, too - and doctor's knives in general come in many colors.

If someone goes for one, they need to remember to look for the spatula. Not all knives called doctor's knives have them.

13. derangedhermit

These are close. They try to combine a knife blade and a bowl scraper into one blade. The doctor's knives have the spatula for cleaning the bowl, and a good general-purpose knife blade that will be superior for other uses. At least ideally that's how it works out.

14. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

You can't go wrong with a Case pocket knife--or in this situation a Case Doctor style knife. As was already stated--keep that pointed blade out of your pipe bowl. A pointy knife can do a lot of damage to the heel of a pipe bowl in short order. I carry a Case three blade Stockman always. I have one blade that is rounded--I made it that way specifically for my pipe blade. The other smaller blade I use as a box and package opening blade. The larger blade sees a lot of use for scraping and such. I have carried a Case Stockman style knife in my pocket since I was a young child. That Doctors style knife you are looking at--if you get it and take care of it--your Great grand children could have it someday--they are are well made--right in my home state of Pa. in Bradford.

Spuddaddy and Summit like this.
  15. derangedhermit

I enjoy owning "well made things" that are meant to last. Your idea of modifying a single blade of any knife you like, to use as a pipe blade, opens up many more opportunities for getting just the right pipe knife - a great idea. I hope the folks in Bradford keep it up for a very long time.

Super K likes this.
  16. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Good timing, one of my Christmas gifts was this Steel Warrior Doctors Knife. $10 via an online knife site.
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Frost Cutlery/Frost Cutlery┬« Steel Warrior™ Mississippi River Bone Doctor's Knife/FRSW120ASB.html

That flat blade is actually a little wide. I'm going to round it off with my bench grinder to work better in the bowl.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That Case sure is a beauty! (and the blade looks better shaped than mine). I guess Doc's used the flat blade to count out pills?

17. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

Kinda off subject but I wrote the case knife company a year or so ago and asked them to make a pipe smokers knife, and to bring back the fly fishing model of knife from the 60s/70s. A customer service woman said she would pass the request along to research and development.

With that said, why don't some more of you interested in a good quality smokers knife made by case write the case company and ask them to produce one as well.

18. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

The thing is in the Case Doctor style knives they make two sizes--the regular Doctor style and what they call the Baby Doc.. The Baby Doc has smaller blades--if my memory serves me right--about 2.5 inches in length and the spatula type blade is also smaller and more narrow than the regular Doctor style knife.

umfunix likes this.
  19. derangedhermit

What changes would you make to the Case pictured above?

20. derangedhermit

Your memory is excellent. I got a Baby Doc (well, I got two). If it's too small, I'll get a Doctor - and I may get one anyway. I have a weakness for Case knives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.