Pipe tools and style - doctor's knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffstone

What changes would you make to the Case pictured above?
If I were going to commission case to make a pipe knife for myself it would be similar to the baby doc but instead of the blunt end being the tamper, I'd have a actual round tamper as the shoulder of the knife. The reason the baby doc has that blunt end is to crush pills, I'd want it more tobacco chamber shape and an actual solid piece of metal that won't get all gummed up with tobacco cake. It may also be beneficial for the tamper to be at a slight cant as it will be a heftier tool that may unintentionally tamp to hard with its own weight If tamper is placed on a 90 degree angle. I would also want a spoon shape instead of the spatula blade and a blunt end pen type blade made for scraping cake instead of regular pen knife blade. I would also incorporate a slim tooth pick width poker on opposite end of riveted spoon blade and scraper blade. Lastly I would want genuine red stag handle scales and a brass pipe shape or brass mans head smoking a pipe silhouette under the script writing of case xx on the handle scales. Obviously all brass bolsters and rivets and all this packaged in an appropriate leather pocket sheath.
With case and zippo being nearly the same company, Packaged in a tin with a similar designed zippo all for the price of $99 seems about right to me.

If you would consider purchasing what I've described above like this post and I will send it across to case again as an idea

Well, the Case MiniDocs arrived. They are as expected, and the spatula works fine for removing ash and dottle. An unexpected hitch is that the spatula sticks out a bit on the side when folded in, so when trying to use the butt as a tamp, you either have to fiddle a bit to keep from getting the spatula hung on the pipe wall, or, easier, just open the spatula and tamp. Bit of an irritation.

The MiniDoc is almost exactly the same length, open and closed, as the common Czech pipe tool, and the spatula is the same length as the spoon on the pipe tool.

ruffinogold

Mayor
If I were going to commission case to make a pipe knife for myself it would be similar to the baby doc but instead of the blunt end being the tamper, I'd have a actual round tamper as the shoulder of the knife. The reason the baby doc has that blunt end is to crush pills, I'd want it more tobacco chamber shape and an actual solid piece of metal that won't get all gummed up with tobacco cake. It may also be beneficial for the tamper to be at a slight cant as it will be a heftier tool that may unintentionally tamp to hard with its own weight If tamper is placed on a 90 degree angle. I would also want a spoon shape instead of the spatula blade and a blunt end pen type blade made for scraping cake instead of regular pen knife blade. I would also incorporate a slim tooth pick width poker on opposite end of riveted spoon blade and scraper blade. Lastly I would want genuine red stag handle scales and a brass pipe shape or brass mans head smoking a pipe silhouette under the script writing of case xx on the handle scales. Obviously all brass bolsters and rivets and all this packaged in an appropriate leather pocket sheath.
With case and zippo being nearly the same company, Packaged in a tin with a similar designed zippo all for the price of $99 seems about right to me.

If you would consider purchasing what I've described above like this post and I will send it across to case again as an idea
You freakin nailed it !

I'd like a knife like that too ! This is what I carry and it's been a favorite for a long while ..
H&Htamper.jpg

After a week of use, I can say the knife is working out very well. The spatula works better on straight bowl walls than a spoon, and it works well in place of the spike in case I overpack. The one time the small draw hole clogged, I used a pipe cleaner. It tamps fine. So this is working out well for me.

BradNTX

Wow, those Bois D'Arc handles are killer! I like the little Texas emblem too.

I would definitely be in! I could even do a 2 blade- 1 flat on the end for bowl scrapping and 1 long toothpick for poking. I never use spoon myself. The tamper on the end would be great too.

I have quite a few pocket knives. I may have to put one to the bench grinder if Case doesn't agree to knock these out.

I'd be in on an order like this, as well.

A while ago, some one posted in Latest Pipe Smoking Purchase with a pic of a killer pocket knife/pipe tool. It was beautiful, built for our purposes, but quite pricey. Does anyone remember that? I'd like to bookmark that company's website, but can't remember.

For now, I'd like to pick up a Baby Doc, if I find one that suits me. I do love Case knives!

And just my personal opinion, 3 blades seems right. A clip point or similar for everyday use, a pick, and a blade for reaming (sheepsfoot or similar).

Riff Raff

Most of those Case pieces shown are too big to be tampers. In fact my Doctors Knife is so fat, it only fits into a few of my larger bowled pipes, so check before ordering (mine was $10...so no loss)

Puffstone

Most of those Case pieces shown are too big to be tampers. In fact my Doctors Knife is so fat, it only fits into a few of my larger bowled pipes, so check before ordering (mine was $10...so no loss)
I do think there are 2 doctor knives. The doc and the baby doc. The baby doc being significantly smaller. Am I correct about this? I do plan to write case again this week or next. I think we can get them on board with this especially with zippo under the same parent company.

Status
Not open for further replies.