Pipe tools and style - doctor's knives

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by derangedhermit, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

And to dip out a dose of a powder, I think. Many years ago, my great-aunt used that spatula to serve herself snuff.

2. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

If I were going to commission case to make a pipe knife for myself it would be similar to the baby doc but instead of the blunt end being the tamper, I'd have a actual round tamper as the shoulder of the knife. The reason the baby doc has that blunt end is to crush pills, I'd want it more tobacco chamber shape and an actual solid piece of metal that won't get all gummed up with tobacco cake. It may also be beneficial for the tamper to be at a slight cant as it will be a heftier tool that may unintentionally tamp to hard with its own weight If tamper is placed on a 90 degree angle. I would also want a spoon shape instead of the spatula blade and a blunt end pen type blade made for scraping cake instead of regular pen knife blade. I would also incorporate a slim tooth pick width poker on opposite end of riveted spoon blade and scraper blade. Lastly I would want genuine red stag handle scales and a brass pipe shape or brass mans head smoking a pipe silhouette under the script writing of case xx on the handle scales. Obviously all brass bolsters and rivets and all this packaged in an appropriate leather pocket sheath.
    With case and zippo being nearly the same company, Packaged in a tin with a similar designed zippo all for the price of $99 seems about right to me.

If you would consider purchasing what I've described above like this post and I will send it across to case again as an idea

3. derangedhermit

Well, the Case MiniDocs arrived. They are as expected, and the spatula works fine for removing ash and dottle. An unexpected hitch is that the spatula sticks out a bit on the side when folded in, so when trying to use the butt as a tamp, you either have to fiddle a bit to keep from getting the spatula hung on the pipe wall, or, easier, just open the spatula and tamp. Bit of an irritation.

The MiniDoc is almost exactly the same length, open and closed, as the common Czech pipe tool, and the spatula is the same length as the spoon on the pipe tool.

Puffstone likes this.
  4. derangedhermit

Finally figured out pics.
    [​IMG]

rigormootis, Benton629 and Tsalagi44 like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You freakin nailed it !

I'd like a knife like that too ! This is what I carry and it's been a favorite for a long while ..
    H&Htamper.jpg

mitchell likes this.
  6. derangedhermit

After a week of use, I can say the knife is working out very well. The spatula works better on straight bowl walls than a spoon, and it works well in place of the spike in case I overpack. The one time the small draw hole clogged, I used a pipe cleaner. It tamps fine. So this is working out well for me.

BradNTX likes this.
  7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Wow, those Bois D'Arc handles are killer! I like the little Texas emblem too.

I would definitely be in! I could even do a 2 blade- 1 flat on the end for bowl scrapping and 1 long toothpick for poking. I never use spoon myself. The tamper on the end would be great too.

I have quite a few pocket knives. I may have to put one to the bench grinder if Case doesn't agree to knock these out.

8. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I'd be in on an order like this, as well.

A while ago, some one posted in Latest Pipe Smoking Purchase with a pic of a killer pocket knife/pipe tool. It was beautiful, built for our purposes, but quite pricey. Does anyone remember that? I'd like to bookmark that company's website, but can't remember.

For now, I'd like to pick up a Baby Doc, if I find one that suits me. I do love Case knives!

9. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

10. esteban

esteban Active Member

$276???? Pesos maybe.....^^^^^^^^

mitchell likes this.
  11. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

BradNTX likes this.
  12. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Yeah that looks like it. The specific one that was posted on that thread I believe was ivory or bone, but I think this is the one.

I agree, to pricey for me, I'd rather spend that on a nice pipe or a ton of tobacco. But a Case, or maybe GEC, pipe knife would be sweet!!!

13. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

[​IMG]

this Case Jr. Scouts seems to run about $80. lenght 3 3/8"
    - replace leather punch with a simple round pick.
    - replace the the can opener with a sheepsfoot blade (see below, back blade on right)

[​IMG]

LutzSpearo and Puffstone like this.
  14. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

That's a good idea. We also need a flat-end bolster or something for tamping.

15. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

If we got Case to agree to this, or any other pocket knife maker, and we got the pattern down to something any pipe smoker would love... I could see a PSF TOY (Tamper of the Year) evolve out of this, each year a different handle color or material. What fun!

buckarooman, BradNTX and Puffstone like this.
  16. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

And just my personal opinion, 3 blades seems right. A clip point or similar for everyday use, a pick, and a blade for reaming (sheepsfoot or similar).

17. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Beautiful pocket knife.

18. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Most of those Case pieces shown are too big to be tampers. In fact my Doctors Knife is so fat, it only fits into a few of my larger bowled pipes, so check before ordering (mine was $10...so no loss)

19. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

I do think there are 2 doctor knives. The doc and the baby doc. The baby doc being significantly smaller. Am I correct about this? I do plan to write case again this week or next. I think we can get them on board with this especially with zippo under the same parent company.

20. Islayphile

Islayphile Member

You are correct, they do also make a Baby Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.