1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe type comparison

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by E Mursed, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E Mursed

E Mursed Member

I put in an order today for a pipe that is made in Holland, and I am under the impression that the bowl is ceramic at it's heart.

My question is in regards to heat. I have a cob now, and smoked a bowl of CH in it today. It got a little hotter than my briar, but manageable. Is the ceramic pipe going to have similar heat characteristics as my cob, or am I way off in assuming there is a similarity.

As an aside, the cob was great with the CH.

2. zwolanek

zwolanek Member

Carter Hall in a cob is classic. Unfortunately, CH bites me really bad - it's the sugar. Other OTCs don't - Half and Half, Sir Walter, and Prince Albert are all nice to me.
    I'm pretty sure the heat index will rise for you in a ceramic bowl. I have some The Pipes and notice that in those quite a bit.

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

The Dutch ceramics have a double bowl design...on the order of Calabash pipes...with an air space between the inner and outer bowl. This keeps them fairly cool, but they *can* get hot! What is the brand/ manufacturer on that pipe?

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've never had Carter Hall bite me. I would think the ceramic pipe would be similar to a clay in regard to the bowl getting hot.

I've learned proper smoking cadence in practing with a clay. With some practice, you can actually smoke your ceramic or clay without the bowl becoming too hot to hold or touch. It's a beautiful thing!

5. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Let us know how it works out for you. A pic would be nice too.

6. E Mursed

E Mursed Member

It is a Zenith off of Etsy...

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/98...rans_email&utm_campaign=shipping_notification

My family is from Dutch descent and I thought it would be good to have a pipe from my families homeland.

7. E Mursed

E Mursed Member

Received the pipe over the weekend - it was a sale from ********* on his Etsy store.

First I have to say that the pipe was shipped fast and packaged very good - kudos to John.

I loaded it with some Peterson's Luxury Blend and was greeted by a very clean draw.
    The Luxury Blend is a great tobacco with Burley, Black Cavendish, Virginia and a honey vanilla flavor.
    The pipe smoked great and only got a little hot when I got aggressive with the draw.

Being of Dutch descent I am glad to have a piece of my heritage.
    This pipe does not cake, so it doesn't get ghosted and let's you taste the tobacco in it's pure sense.
    Really happy with my purchase and I will be using this pipe to test any new tobaccos I get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.