Pipes in the comics

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Whalehead King, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

With the links I provide, you would think that I spend all day reading about old comic books:
    http://www.politedissent.com/archives/8867 Aside from the head mirror highjinx, what captured my eye was that in the first illustration is that the man is smoking a pipe in his doctors office in 1971 in a book that is primarily written for children. Since this is a romance comic, we can assume the intended audience is young girls. Smoking a pipe wasn't too strange then.

When my nephew was eight, I showed him my pipe tool and explained how it worked. He was baffled. My sister spoke up. "He doesn't know what a pipe is," she whispered to me.

You can tell I visit often.

WK.

2. Jay

Jay Active Member

Ha!

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

:xd: that's kind of funny,
    Although it does suck that pipes have come so far out of the mainstream that some youngsters have no clue about them.

4. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

I resemble that remark!

When I was looking for an avatar here, I recalled a few comic book characters who smoked pipes and did some Google searching. All the pictures that came up seem to be from before 1980. Prior to that, pipe smoking was not a big deal - a lot of the fathers of the kids reading those comics were probably pipe guys. But pipes got caught up in the anti-cigarette tsunami that began soon afterwards. Now, having a character like Reed Richards or Henry Pym smoking a pipe in a comic book would probably result in congressional hearings.

Preacher1611 and Whalehead King like this.
  5. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Looks like a nice silver band Dunhill !

Whalehead King likes this.
  6. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

My library has a collection of comics written in the 30's that the title escapes me, but the main character is never without a pipe...much like 99% of PSF users

Preacher1611 and Darkly like this.
  7. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I think the world needs more comics with characters who smoke pipes, heck the world needs more pipe smokers!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.