Pipes in the Family Tree (pipe roots)

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by briarhoff, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

James Crawford Thom is an artist, a few branches up in our family tree. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Crawford_Thom We also have some nuts in the tree but we're not discussing them right now. My Dad discovered some old photos of him a while ago and I loved them, mostly because they look old and cool and they are playing acoustic instruments. I eventually got a copy of one and hung it in my office at work. It recently dawned on me that he is smoking a pipe in the picture. I took a picture of the picture, pretty bad quality, but here are some of my pipe roots. J.C. is in the middle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any other pipe roots caught on camera out there?

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

To my knowledge my great Grandmother smoked a cob. And she was probably rough as one too! Lol

My Son, who now has a collection of 50's era low end pipes that I gave him (4 in total) just requested a clay from me the other day. And I couldn't resist giving it to him. I give it less than a week before he breaks it...

3. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

My Grandpa, a captain in the Navy, smoked a pipe. That's all I know of for sure.

Brit abroad and briarhoff like this.
  4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

My grandfather on mom's side smoked cigarettes and a pipe as I recall, my dad smoked a pipe but really can't recall ever seeing him do it, but he had all Grabow's, that I have now.

5. Artistik

Artistik Member

Grandpa smoked pipes and cigars. His collection of pipes were drug store pipes (probably Dr. Gs and Kaywoodies. He smoked Edgeworth RR always. He quit smoking while I was in the Navy and I have no idea what he did with the pipes. Sure wish I had at least one of them.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

My uncle Danny was renowned for his corn cob pipes. He always had two Legends (or Legend-sized, anyway) cobs on him, and rotated his tobacco. He seemed to be particularly fond of Velvet and Granger, but I'll bet he smoked others. He smoked those pipes until they literally fell apart, and would keep applying mud or some other such bonding agent to them when they cracked. Eventually he would have to give up on one, and then he'd go out and buy a new one. He was my favorite uncle, and I have no memories of him that do not feature a cob in his mouth.

7. brumoon

brumoon Member

My grandfather on my mothers side had 2 pipes - Dr. G I think. The cake was thicker than the bowl wall - I don't remember him ever using a pipe cleaner or cleaning the pipes in any way. He'd smoke one pipe one day then the other the next.

8. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

My great uncle Eddie ( I'm smoking his Rhodesian at the moment) on my mothers side, he worked on the Settle to Carlisle Railway and before that in a slate quarry in North Yorkshire (see wicker man pics of Settle), he lived and worked around Settle until he died six months short of his one hundreth birthday, he never owned a refridgerator and bought his food fresh everyday, stopped off at the local pub for a few pints the walked home, I always think of that great man everytime I smoke his pipe, shame I don't have any photo's!

highstump and briarhoff like this.
  9. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

Alot off memories with this.
    A good long story but my dad's uncle took the role of grandfather in the family years after my dad's father passed trying to save others in a work accident.
    As far as I can remember he always had a pipe in pocket or hand. Even as grandkids, great-grandkids everybody knew him as "Uncle Harvey".
    My dad smoked a pipe off and on a couple times a year till at The Kutztown Festival in Pennsylvania he bought a handmade pipe. Here's dad and me thirty years after he bought that pipe.

[​IMG]

10. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Some great legacies here. I love reading these. :puffy:

WalkinStick likes this.
  11. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I was talking with my Grandmother about building a stand for my pipes one day a year or more ago, and she says "I'll have to show you the one your Grandfather made for his father."

I didn't even know great-Grandad even smoked a pipe at all.

Next time I saw her she had this beauty in the back seat of her car. Which she let me keep.

[​IMG]

In the drawer were two of Great-Grandpa's Dr. Grabows. One has a broken bit.

I took them apart to clean them and found what I assume was at one point a filter ... when I got them, the filters were almost solid goo. I'll bet he never changed them.

briarhoff, DakOOk and Brit abroad like this.
  12. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

Great storys and pictures!

13. capt dave

capt dave Member

my grandfather on my mother's side, told me that his grandfather grew tobacco in eastern kentucky. my grandfather remembers his grandfather trying to teach him how to twist tobacco. they sold it in the store for a dime a twist, alot of folks bought half a twist for a nickle. he remembers his grandfather keeping a tin of twists by his chair, with a couple of slices of apple in the tin. says he could smell the apple while great great grandpa smoked his pipe. he died in a logging accident while my grandfather was still young. the pipe still exists, my uncle has it.

briarhoff and Brit abroad like this.
  14. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

I was told by my Grandfather that his Grandmother (my great-great grandmother) was a pipe smoker. No photos exist that I'm aware of, and to my knowledge, no other pipe smokers until I picked it up.

Pretty thin branches on my tree...

15. zippo

zippo Member

Both my grandfathers smoked a pipe. My moms dad smoked a pipe until one day my mom found them and started acting like she was smoking it so he tossed them all (now he wishes he would have kept them since I am into pipes). My pap on my dads side smoked a pipe but I never saw him smoke them. When he passed I was giving the 3 pipes they could find and thats what got me interested in pipe smoking. I'm almost 100% sure my great-grandfather smoked a pipe because I remember seeing a picture of a man in a uniform at the home he was in and I'm pretty sure it was him but I was to young to have an interest in pipes.

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

My Grandfather smoked a pipe . My Uncle smoked a pipe . The other Grandpop and uncles smoked cigars or cigarettes or the pipe to lesser extents . My dad smoked a pipe but not often , the guy can smoke some cigars though . My pipe smoking Grandfather , I just learned from my father , early on smoked Country Doctor [ blended by Herscel someone or other ] . By the time I came around and was old enough to ask , he was smoking a black Cavendish that he said he bought at the Drug Store . He had a pipe going most of the time and I thought it was very cool ! He was a Salty Dog Navy Guy with a damn fine heart . He smoked bent billiards , Kaywoodies mainly . My other Grandfather smoked cigars and cigarettes and sometimes a pipe . This guy was awesome and is where I get anything good about myself from . He was Navy during ww1 and ww2 and was the ultimate man in my mind . My mother tells me she has a box with one pipe of his , but would have to find it one day [ looking forward to that ] . My pipe smoking Uncle was a Canadian RAF during WW2 . He was shot down twice . He was a complete and total Gentleman and was a pipe smoking connoisseur . He had a large collection of many Dunhills , Kaywoodies , GBD etc ... . I was lucky enough to get about a dozen of them but they weren't his high end stuff . That stuff had gotten stolen at some point . He smoked Three Nuns [ and I don't blame him , it was the limit ] and had quit the pipe at some point when he was in his mid to late 80's . All may family reunions or get togethers when I was a kid .... Everyone smoked something . There were other guys with pipes and cigars but I had so many uncles and cousins that I couldn't tell ya who was who smoking what ?

17. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Grandad on my moms side smoked a pipe, no pipe smokers until I came along (on that side) Grandad on my dads side tried a pipe, but did not stick with it. My uncle smoked a pipe for awhile, too, but I seem to be the only one who sticks with it. My brother has a cob now, but has not stuck with it either. I donĀ“t know about previous history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.