Pipes & Razors

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Well said!

TWolf likes this.

2. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

I use a safety razor as well. I was tire of the multi-blade, shave gel, generic swipe. I've enjoyed the change. I haven't used a fountain pen yet though. I do most everything on my computer, and rarely use pens at all when home. At work, everything is computerized or filled out in pencil. Besides that, or perhaps because of it, I have bad penmanship and if I try to write out more than a sentence or two, my hand starts to cramp.

3. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

According to the seller I bought a 1959 Gillette DE "clamshell" safety razor a few years ago ( the year I was born) and a silver tipped badger hair brush with a hand turned box elder handle, I don't shave much of my face, just my neck and cheeks but it has changed the process from a dreaded chore to a pleasant ritual. I don't see me ever going back to those goofy eleventyseven blade razors or the canned whip cream soap.

Wow I'm sounding more like an old codger every day...;)

TWolf likes this.
  4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

I wouldn't jump from electric directly to a straight. You might want to get the lathering and prep deal down while switching to a DE and then ease into a straight. btw, you won't want a one swipe shave with a straight. folks over on badger and blade will school you on everything shave related.

TWolf likes this.
  5. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Switched to DE safety razors about a year and a half ago and have never gone back. I was sick of paying $30 for a pack of carts that I only got about 3 shaves from. Now I pay about $16 for 100 DE blades. I only get 3 shaves out of them since I shave my head and face every morning but it hurts a lot less to toss a spent blade now. The straight razor intrigues me, but haven't gone that way just yet...

TWolf likes this.
  6. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Shows you how much I need to learn about it, then. Thanks for the tip on the Badger & Blade site. :sailor:

TWolf likes this.
  7. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Cool. I just got a 1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable that has the butterfly twist to open head which makes for easy blade changes. I love having a razor that was made the same year as me :)

8. Eddie

Eddie Member

I've just ordered a slant bar, this could be interesting.

9. Eddie

Eddie Member

And a tip about fountain pens: My handwriting is truely shocking so I bought a Pilot 78g with the fine tip. This is equivalent to a western extra fine. It helps keep my writing legible. These are aimed at school kids so are cheap as chips.

10. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

I've had the same norelco electric razor for almost a decade because I'm lazy but have considered an old school razor or a straight razor for special occations. Have no idea what makes a fountain pen different than a Walmart pen. This pipe smoking adventure is teaching me more about relaxation than those stupid guided meditation "tapes" ever will. Will have to check out the shaving thread for a how to and Google for the pens.

11. Eddie

Eddie Member

With a fountain pen the ongoing costs are very low and IMO the feel nicer.

12. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

I have just shy of 10,000 posts on a well known wet shaving forum. I took up wet shaving about 5 years ago, when I was PIFed a Gillette Tech DE Razor.

My small (small on purpose) arsenal has 3 DE Razors (the Tech, and two Lords), 2 Schick Injectors, and a Gillette Trac II (one of the best cartridge razors ever made). I also have about 6 brushes (3 boar, 2 badger, 1 horse), and at least a years supply of shaving soap, and shaving cream.

I've went overboard in the wet shaving hobby at one point, having 20+ razors, and 5 years of shaving cream/shaving soap. I have slowly paired it down though.

Wet Shaving is probably what sparked my interest in Pipes, as the wet shaving forum has a quite active area dedicated to pipes, and cigars as well.

13. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Cool. I have a couple of Shick Injectors. They were the first old school razor I used last year before I order a new safety razor. One of them has a bakelite handle and the other ones are molded plastic. I remember seeing one in the American History wing of the Smithsonian and thinking, "Hey, I got one of those." I collected them long before I ever shaved with them because I thought they looked cool. I recently picked up a 1965 (same year I was born) Gillette Slim Adjustable safety razor with the twist to open butterfly top. Great razor! Got it for $4 at a thriftique...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.