Pipes & Wives

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Greasy Neale, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

I need some advice. How do I convince my wife to let me smoke in the house? I'm confined to my truck, the garage, and the great outdoors. I'm thinking daily compliments, going into stores with her when she shops, and helping her grade papers for school might do it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Greasy

inkybat and Gothicmace like this.

2. Butts

Butts Member

Tell her your the damn paterfamilias! I'm sure that will help!! :). Seriously mine finally caved in last night. It was kinda nice sitting in my chair not freezing my ass off for a change.

Lucky Duck, RTOdhner, Jwb and 8 others like this.
  3. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

Hey, be happy. All I have is the great outdoors!

4. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Try smoking some aromatics that she might like the smell of.

5. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

Congrats on getting the wife to cave Butts! It must be nice to sit in the comfort of your own home that you help to provide for everyone else to live in and do as they wish, and smoke your pipe. I'm currently trying for just aromatics, since she doesn't mind them as much; even though I only enjoy maybe one or two aromatic tobaccos. She's not a big fan of English tobaccos which is what I want to smoke through the colder months. Anyway, I'm glad you're at least living a life of freedom in your own home. Good for you, and don't forget to compliment your wife.
    Greasy

mitchell, Gothicmace and umfunix like this.
  6. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

My wife hates the English blends smell. None of my other pipe tobacco bothers her but those do.

7. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

This is my current approach Smokey Tom. Her argument is that one smoke takes me an hour. She says if it smelled good and lasted as long as a cigarette a couple times a day that it would be no big deal.

8. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

9. Josh Gillis

Josh Gillis Member

Sounds like you need a pipe with a smaller bowl, there are some very small pipes that give 10 minute smokes.

Gothicmace likes this.
  10. JohnG

JohnG Member

Well, as I sit here watching the New Years day Honeymooners Marathon, I suggest using Ralph Kramdens approach.
    Just tell her that you are the King of the Castle and she is a mere peasant. See how that works out for ya.
    Good luck,

CptBeefheart, Kevin Keith and jpberg like this.
  11. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

My wife smokes cigs, so there is no big problem with my pipes. when there is a blend she does not like, I'll take it out of the rotation for a few months.

12. moosecop

moosecop Member

This thread sounds like something Eric P would write..

CptBeefheart likes this.
  13. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

This sounds like its going to be a case of trial and error. It might take a while to find a "magic blend" that she and you both like. I personally am in the same boat as you, but mostly because my wife and I agree that it is not a good idea to subject our children to the second-hand smoke.

14. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

This is what happens when you're on the sharp end of emancipation.

15. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Start with proven family friendly mix like 1Q. Limit yourself to just a bowl a couple times a week and go from there. Moderation is the key. As long as her clothes don't start smelling like smoke you'll be ok. :confused:

gunsmoke likes this.
  16. Waino

Waino Active Member

There are some rules.

When pipe smoker will enter into a marriage he must have his own house. There is his name in door sign. Before marriage a verbal agreement is enough. Like this:

a) I smoke in the house.
    b) I have sex twice a week. You can decide are you at home or not.
    c) et cetera.

After twenty years of marriage things might be chancing a bit.

What do I do? I smoke on porch and wife has asthma.

17. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

My girl and I have agreed that I can smoke what I want in the basement (furnished), as long as I burn a candle during and after. I also have a small, one room ozone generator on the way to attempt to kill some of the left over odor. I get permission to smoke aromatics in the living room on special occasions.

Try getting her allow a designated smoking room and do what you can to eliminate the odor after the fact. If all of that fails, find a new wife.

18. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

So if I ever get to visit any of you I should proceed either directly to the garage or to the basemenet?

Gothicmace, Dimik and critter like this.
  19. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

I want to thank all of you for the fine responses, I realize how good I have it here, smoke in the house whenever I choose to do so. Find a blend with a favorable room note. Make note of the blend, train for a week eating Chili, Tex-Mex food, Bean soup, sauerkraut and pickled eggs and beer. Prepare yourself for when she brings the pipe and tobacco to you and asks you to light up.

Stinger

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  20. JohnG

JohnG Member

Nope, not at my place..... I own the house....and my girl is fine about me smoking indoors. I have found that pipe smoke, to this point has not left any lingering odors, unlike cigarettes or cigars. I do turn on the kitchen exhaust fan when I light up..

Gothicmace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.