Pipeworks & Wilke

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by FlatbushPaul, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi All,
    It's funny, I worked in NYC for 25 years. I visited many smoke shops through the years and Wilke's was one of them. Whenever I would be working in the area I would saunter in and browse. I never bought a pipe from them as the prices were beyond my means in those days. But I did buy tobacco from them several times, I do not remember the names of the tobacco's but I always enjoyed whatever I purchased. Now after all these years I am buying tobacco from them again, but over the internet/phone. I always wondered what had happened to them.

I just received an order of a few different tobacco's. I have tried 515 so far. Tonight I will try the Dummerston. I will try 400 and 622 over the weekend. They smell amazing in the bag!

The 515 has piqued my interest. It has some underlying flavors that I can't put my finger on. Toast and rum and ...I don't know! As I am smoking it changes very often. Of course this is the tobacco that they say Basil Rathbone smoked. I don't know how true that is but it makes for good conversation. I can also see how he might have been drawn to it. I think back in those days men might have stayed with what was tried and true to them more than today. If they liked a tobacco they may not have smoked much of anything else. I could not just smoke 515 by any means. Especially today with all the great blends that are so easy to purchase and store. Still I can see how it could get under your skin and become a mainstay, if that's your bag. The toasted cavendish that Wilke uses is very interesting. Not overly sweet like aro's can be, but drier in flavor and more savory, and it has some nuances that make you think. I like that in a blend. Not something that you smoke in a mindless state.
    I will let you guys know about the other blends as I smoke them. So far I like the first one alot.

Carole Burns is a master blender and a pleasure to deal with as well.

Paul

Dondi and Rodfather like this.

2. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

That's pretty cool Paul, thanks for the post. I'll have check out their website. :puffy:

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  3. furious

furious Junque collector

Carole is great and I really like 191 in the aro dept. and Perfection Burley is the best around. Bleeker St. is a nice aro, too.

Rewster66 and FlatbushPaul like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Fan of #400 and Nut Brown Burley! :th1:

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I have to admire this person for her tenacity and mental strength. I believe Carole is running the business by herself. I know she's had some health problems recently. Immagine you have a loyal, but demanding customer base. Blending with consistancy, everytime, without mistakes, on time, takes a skill found only in the perfectionist. I wish her continued success and good health.

Ol Brokedik.

Preacher1611, Dondi and FlatbushPaul like this.
  6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Carole and P&W get the Ming 2 thumbs up.
    They repaired some pipes for me, including a new stem on my Dunhill and in a timeley matter.
    Carole also sent a couple samples of her tobacco (24 and 191 I believe) and was always kind and courteous both on the phone and via email. A class operation that I would do business with anytime and will buy some more of their tobacco one day soon! :th1:

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Never heard of them.

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I'll send you some samples so can try them out.

9. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I love Nut Brown Burley! :puffy:

osogordo3 and FlatbushPaul like this.
  10. jpberg

That would be nice, but I'm not really receptive to new blends. Thanks anyway.

ruffinogold and dwaugh like this.
  11. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Ok, I tried. What about Ten Russians, you might like that.

jpberg likes this.
  12. jpberg

No thanks, I'm not a big fan of the Russians. We whupped them in Lake Placid - they haven't been the same since.

13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Once, the Red Menace. Now, they're Pink.

ruffinogold, IrishRover and jpberg like this.
  14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Carole Burns is a solid e-tailer, I've bought a couple of estate pipes from her and her blends are quality. I like Gotham Court and Bohemian Mixture.

Mington likes this.
  15. FlatbushPaul

Nut Brown Burley will have to be on my next order from them. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Paul

Mington likes this.
  16. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I got a sample of 191, and frankly that stuff was... AMAZING!

Rewster66 and Mington like this.
  17. FlatbushPaul

Last night, instead of Dummerston I tried the 400. What a wonderful English blend. I have to say it goes right to the top of my English list! Thier website says "not for the timid", I would agree. This is full flavored with volumes of smoke from just the slightest of sips! The Latakia is dominant but you can get real good bursts of Burley here and there. Then when you think you got it down pat, there comes a little Va. and then a little Perique. There is some other things going on that I just can't put down in words. Suffice to say it was an amazing smoke. All the different condiments working together. A very well balanced English type blend. No one flavor really overwelms you like you can find in some English blends. I smoked this in a very wide mouthed Guildhall Pot that is great for English blends and it did not disappoint! Another two thumbs up for Carole!:thu2: Next up, Dummerston.

Paul

jpberg likes this.
  18. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Thanks for the review/update....I am going to have to check out their site..

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  19. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I have some Rumcake from Carole that is a good public tobacco, I always get compliments when I smoke it. It is one of the few areos that I smoke, I really like it.

20. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I'm glad to hear that Carole is back. I really like their Churchill blend (contains cigar leaf) and their Bestmake as well.

Mington and FlatbushPaul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.