1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Please help me a choose my second pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Ingor, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingor

Ingor Member

As I have explained on my my introduction post I got this Peterson and I'm in love with she, but I need a second one so I can let her to rest at least 24 hours.

I decided I want another Peterson, part because of the p-lip, part because this one is so nice, part because I'm in love with the brand :P

So I have 3 options:

1) Get another one like this one from the same place I bought my current one. It would cost 175 euros, and I can get it right away with no waiting. The downside is that maybe I should try a bigger bowl or a system pipe.

2) Get a system pipe from here. Not really sure about which size I'd buy but definitely something bigger than my current one. Do you know by any chance if this silver cap is a small bowl or a medium? By the problem I have packing non flake tobacco in it I think it's a small one but not really sure. So if it's small one I'd get a large one, if it's a medium I think I'd go for an extra large one. After paying the transport to Spain from UK, and wait for about two weeks I guess it'd cost about the same as the option 1. In case you recommend me one of these I could also use some advice about the best smoking shape/size.

3) The third option would be Peterson Sherlock Holmes Meerschaum - Professor The problem with this one apart of the price which would end up around 250 euros probably is that I think it's quite delicate and I'm afraid that carefull with it that I'd end up not smoking it too much so I won't damage it somehow. I understand that meer smoke cooler than briar with less problems when changing from one tobacco to another one, etc.. The other problem I have with this one is that I can't manage to get an idea about it's size I think it's quite bigger than my current one, but not really sure about it. The other thing I don't manage to find is that if it uses the peterson system which I assume it doesn't. So here the problem really is to know what do you think would work better for me. No I don't have money for two of them. Nor for the three. :P

Thank you!

2. cellophane

cellophane Member

Have you thought about a cob? For about $10 you can get two pipes, giving you another $100 to spend on tobacco :devil: There are a few folks around here that swear by them. I smoke mine all the time personally, more than my Savinelli.

3. Ingor

Ingor Member

I already have one of those which has some replaceable filters, but it smokes way worst than the peterson. Then the filters cost about 2.5 euros 10 of them. So in one month or two the peterson is actually cheaper. I have also tried smoking it without a filter. It stays lit better, burns down homogeneously, but it burns out quite fast no matter how much care i put on it.
    Right now I'm still smoking a pipe I lit three hours and a half ago and filled with some peterson university flake, and it still has some unburned tobacco. And this peterson I'm quite sure is a small bowl... anyway, smaller than the cob one.
    Note that my cob pipe might actually not be a cob pipe but some other wood pipe...

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I would say that the Pete you have is medium for Petersons - some of the XL shapes will be larger, particularly the 5 (the original Sherlock Holmes calabash shape).

If you want a really big pipe, look at Peterson "House Pipes". They aren't cheap but they are nice, and absolutely huge. Also the 2009 pipe of the year was fairly large, as was the 2008.

5. snowman

snowman Member

Hello.

If you want to stay with a peterson pipe, Take a look at the Peterson System Pipe #307. It has a good size bowl and you should be able to get atleast a 60 minute smoke.

I have a 7 day set of the 307s and i really enjoy them. What ever you go for good luck.

6. Jayhp

Jayhp Member

+1

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I think between those three, I would go for the meer. It's pretty neat looking, and should smoke very nice. Plus you already have a briar Pete, so it would be something different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.