Please suggest a good pipe lighter

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by johnb, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnb

johnb Member

Hi all,
    I have been looking for a good relatively inexpensive pipe lighter. I have a zippo pipe lighter and use a disposable bic from time to time, but have been looking at thes xikar lighters, are these good? any other suggestions? I am looking at the $50 range.. As much as I would love a ST Dupont lighter I think my wife might have something to say about that.. :p

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

For indoor smoking I like the Savinelli "Old Boy" lighters.

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I agree with cobb the "Old Boy" is great, however for less than half the money you can buy the Xicar and it is very very similar to the "Old Boy" just a little less refined. I love mine and it never gets a rest and I have never had a problem out of it.:th1:

4. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

I got my colibri barrington which works like a charm, although I don't know if they make them anymore. I have heard good things about the colibri and the old boy, so it comes down to pricing I guess. Have I helped??.....survey says: No

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

You already got a zippo. Some others may look classier or be more fuel efficient, but since pipes aren't usually lit with torch type flames, they won't be more effective or make for a better smoke. If it were me I'd rather spend the 50 bucks on tobacco or a new pipe.

That said, the Old Boys are very popular, and there must be a reason for it....

Guess my post was less enlightening than CalPipers ;)

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I've had several lighters under $50 and had to poopcan all of them. If I was you, I'd buy a quality lighter like the Old Boy. Spend the $100 and get a lighter that will grow old with you.

Ol Brokedik.

HCraven and mtsgsd like this.
  7. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Don't mean to hijack this thread but what's the best outdoor lighter? It's been really windy here and while my Zippo didn't go out the flame was going everywhere either burning my hand or making it too hard to draw.

8. DanielO

DanielO Member

If all you have is $50, stick with the zippo. It's my second choice for a good pipe lighter. My first choice is the Old Boy. but it's in the $100 or more range.

And as far as outdoor smoking goes, I always use a Zippo. Other lighters go out.

9. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

Been there, down that. I've had the $8 Bently (gas tab broke in two), a $14 Fujima that had a serious flaw in the ignition system that causes it to break in a month, a $24 ?? that also broke it's ignition and a $24 Evertech that developed a problem in the gas metering after two months. That last one is still kind of usable since it's a dual flame and the torch works most of the time, but the soft flame is an 8" flame thrower when you can get it to work at all. And that's on the lowest gas adjustment!

Sticking with my $16 Zippo that never fails until my wife nags me too much about the smell (she's hyper sensitive) and then I'll spend some real money to get something better.

10. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

For the money, zippo's win! I love zippo's, and have been collecting them for years. I startd collecting the Peterson zippo sets too.

I also got sucked in by the Xikar, but even turned all the way up, it doesn't give much flame. Thinking about sending it off for readjustment. However, I see an old boy in my future.

11. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

For about $10-$15 you can get the Thunderbird insert for your Zippo. It uses butane, so there's no odor, the fuel lasts a lot longer, as it doesn't evaporate when you aren't using it, and it works. I love my Old Boy, but the Thunderbird is my second choice, and it works pretty well outdoors, too.

12. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Wooden matches.

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

I recently bought one of the Xikar knockoffs of the Old Boy... Almost half the cost and it still has a lifetime warranty. I know others have said there is a difference, but while I was at the store I looked at both. I must also say that Xikar's reputation as a great company (I have some of their cigar products) also had a strong influence on my decision. And while I'm sure Corona also has a great reputation, I was very impressed with the Xikar lighter!

I also have a Dunhill pipe lighter that was my grandfathers.

But for everyday, I still carry the cheap Bentley lighters. I have several... they are light, fit well in my hand and pocket, and I like them.

Finally, I also like the Zippo lighters. They, to me, probably have the best "hand feel" and I am not bothered at all by the "taste" that some people will tell you they give off... hold the flame far enough away and "draw" it in for your light, and there won't be any taste (black fuel can - not the cheaper knockoff stuff). If you do happen to hold it close and get a bit of taste, it dissipates as soon as you're done lighting (20 seconds) and then you can enjoy 40 mins to an hour without the taste... a heck of a reward in my opinion! Plus, you can always buy a Thunderbird insert and still enjoy the look/feel of a Zippo with the "convenience" of butane. I have several Zippos - some with regular inserts, some with pipe inserts, and some with Thunderbird pipe inserts (well, one of these), but my regular go-to Zippo is just a regular fuel, non pipe insert and I like it best (after my cheap Bentley pipe lighters)...

Elwin likes this.
  14. johnb

johnb Member

i pulled the trigger on a xikar pipeline, i was looking at the old boys but my wife would have had a problem with me spending more money, I am well over $1000 in my first month of pipe smoking... I think I am done for a while.
    The wife agreed that if I can just be happy with what I have now, until the summer I am allowed to buy a Dunhill pipe :)
    I think this is a fair trade.. I can buy the necessary things like tobacco and pipe cleaners etc but thats it.,.. lol

15. dbwittkopf

dbwittkopf Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOBON-Dual-...947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d5b11b3
    I bought one of these a while back and even though I expected to get a piece of garbage it is a really nice lighter but what i really like is that it is a dual flame one way is a side facing soft flame and when you flick the other side it is a single jet just great for lighting stogies plus it has a cigar punch i really like it in fact Colibri makes one just like it which is a bit more expensive ( about your price range) and im sure is really nice i have had a colibri and they are quality lighters. http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLIBRI-DUA...693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bbe35a75 and of course I have my brass zippo armour pipe lighter
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zippo-Armor...870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b8248946

16. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Necessary like a couple hundred pounds of tobacco, 20 flats of mason jars, and 5 or 6 pipes (only one of them a Dunhill)....yeah, I'm right there with ya...just the necessities.

17. johnb

johnb Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.