Please suggest!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Trendsetter, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Two things folks.
    First, I am looking to buy something with Burley, since I heard it smokes perfectly in cobs, which I have just purchased two of thanks to PSF recommendations, but I have yet to ever explore Burleys. In this category, I am completely a newbie, so please suggest your favorite Burley blends.
    Second, I want to buy some Samuel Gawith toby when it comes out; however my funds are extremely limited, so I only plan to buy three tins max. Top three SG favorites ppl?

Oh and if SG makes any good Burley blends, I would be ecstatic to kill two birds with one stone.
    Thanks for everything as always PSF, you guys rock!

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

MacBaren Golden Extra is tops and SWR and PA are standard icons . SG stuff I wouldnt know but there's many here who will

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

'When' is the operative word with SG, unfortunately. I actually don't know of any SG burley forward blends either. Top three SG blends to pick up would probably be some of their best sellers: 1792, FVF and Squadron Leader.

For burley, maybe you should spy C&D's offerings out. Also MacBaren's BLB and Solani's ABF are well liked. (I have no experience with them, though.)
    Good luck, and happy shopping!

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Let me suggest CH. Good stuff and smokes easy, no bite for me ever. It's heavenly in a cob.

While a bit OT, I think some OGS would be good in that cob too.

5. yinyang

Hmm...just remembered, Tambolaka is a burley....

6. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

CH? Tambolaka? What are those?

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

CH = Carter Hall by Middleton Tobacco.

Other popular PSF abbreviations can be found here.

8. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Burley does taste better in cobs for some unknown reason.

Carter Hall, Prince Albert and Sugar Barrel are very good OTC burleys.
    Butternut Burley is an excellent Bulk Blend.

If you want to try a light burley based English 4noggins bulk Bald Headed Teacher is quite good, and Walnut or Spillman's Mixture also fit the bill.

As for SG:

Full Virginia Flake, Squadron Leader and 1792 seem to be the first to sellout.

9. mpchem

mpchem Member

I'm starting to be a fan of burleys as well. MB Burley London Blend is good, and I just ordered tins of MB Golden Extra and Solani ABF. The Solani is supposed to be one of the best burleys out there, but everyone's taste is different.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I just got some burley tobaccos in, but have not tried them yet. I will vouch for the Solani Aged Burley Flake, though; I love it.

11. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Thanks everyone! It looks like the winner is gonna be Solani Aged Burley Flake. But is it flavored? tobaccoreviews says its coffee flavored, but the description says it has "no additives or flavos"
    As for Samuel Gawith...FVF is probly what I'll choose.

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

for a great burley, mac b london burley or uhle does a couple great burleys, one of his cube cuts (no. 44 iirc) was amazing. and i'm not a burley dude.

SG doesnt really do burley. they do great virginias and better-than-average-but-not-spectacular-englishes imho, so i'd play towards their strengths, aka, virginias.

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't think ABF has any artificial topping. The "coffee" taste may be someone's person view of the flavor, although I don't get that myself. TobaccoReviews.Com says this in the write up:

TobaccoReviews.Com

14. yinyang

Tambolaka is an uber strong burley grown overseas. Hard to get, and most likely not up your alley, unless you chain smoke or have a death wish. I only mentioned it as a joke.

Another well received flake is Wessex Burley Slices. If you're still looking around.

15. sounds7

sounds7 Member

MacBaren Golden Extra is my favorite Burley other than Stonehaven which is a blend of Burley and Virginia.

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Tambolaka ... LOL ... about killed me :death:

17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

As for Burley Blends - an OTC blend called Prince Albert has a good following

SG - not sure of all their baccy but FVF is the one to get if you can find it..

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.