1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

Please, what's best material for replacing white stem logo

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by olddog, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olddog

olddog Member

Hello. I've been attempting to replace a missing white Dr. Grabow spade logo, and have tried a number of things with poor results, the last being a white epoxy paste. What is the best material to use in replacing white inset logos? Is there a plastic that can be softened and pressed, sanded, etc., or something else? Thanks in advance

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

You could try a white paint marker.

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Hardware store.
    Light switch face-plate ;-)

A white one.
    And a black one.

Have fun.

4. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

If it's a recent, still-in-production model, the factory has a replacement stem service. If I remember correctly, it's only about 11 or 12 bucks. And a lot less aggravation, I suspect.

Spillproof likes this.
  5. woody

woody Admin Admin

Polymer clay might work but it has to be heated to harden.
    http://www.amazon.com/Polyform-Sculpey-Original-Polymer-Clay/dp/B0016N6CMU

6. olddog

olddog Member

Thank you for the advice guys, and I'll probably try something along the lines of Woody's idea next if I can't find a white resin or polymer that will dry rock hard. (If it works, I should have enough left over to mail small amounts to whomever needs some for the same kind of project). A hard plastic would have been my first choice, but my peepers ain't what they used to me to do the fine shaping. The early Grabows had more oddly shaped spades unlike today's shape, which kind of eliminated the factory service on this particular pipe but I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks again.

woody likes this.
  7. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Smalt used in decoration can help,the problem is that you have to by the bottle and the catalyse together and to have the proper tool for applying.In jewellery supply stores they have all the colours and a jewel repairer can do it for you in one day. Another simply solution is an industrial marker,scratch softly the logo with something spicate and choose one marker with thin nose.

8. Billy Ockham

Billy Ockham Notice when you’re happy.

The easy fix is a white crayon. Rub it over the logo, it's soft enough to fill it in, but won't scratch anything. Just buff off surrounding area with a soft cloth.

Bobby Stubbs likes this.
  9. Bobby Stubbs

Bobby Stubbs Member

The white crayon works..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.