Plug recommendations

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BernardLerring, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I am debating purchasing a plug for the first time when I put my next internet order in sometime next month, can anyone recommend a good plug that is available in the UK?

Many thanks in advance.

2. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Peterson's Perfect Plug is one of my favorites--I'd assume you can get it across the pond?

3. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Yes, it's available over here. Thank you for the recommend, that is one I'd had my eye on, just not sure as it's completely out of my experience.

4. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Just be warned that plug expands when it burns--a lot! I learned the hard way (big hole burned through my robe) to leave plenty of room for expansion. PPP comes in one very solid plug. I use a big, sharp chef's knife to cut it into flakes, then pull them apart and cut them up.

5. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I know about it coming in a block, didn't realise about the expansion, thanks for the warning. Is it a case of packing it a little loose then?

6. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

I'll second 3P's. I like to shave very thin shavings and then rub it out to an almost fuzzy consistency.

BernardLerring likes this.
  7. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

It really depends on how you cut it up. After shredding the flakes, I cut them up into little bits. Pack normally, but leave a good bit more room in the bowl than you normally would as it will fluff up as the bits expand. A little experimentation and you'll get the hang of how much you can pack. My first experience was in a full bent Pete System--I was reading and couldn't see the bowl--best to keep an eye on it at first.

8. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I get you now, thanks, I used to make that mistake when I first started and got plenty of burns holes in my house clothes to show for it.

9. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

What does PPP taste like? Can anyone sum it up for me in a sentence? I've fancied trying for a while.

10. fordy

fordy Member

Warrior Plug & Mick McQuaid Plug are very nice, I preferred them over 3P which I found a bit too fruity, a bit like concentrated University Flake.
    MySmokingShop has some SG plugs I do know. Haven't tried the GH plugs. Old Ted is your man when it comes to UK plugs I reckon.

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I've got to try some of these myself. So far, JackKnife Plug is the only plug I've tried. I loved it. so the others seem most interesting.

12. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Cheers for those. The Mick Mcquaid was another I was looking at, hadn't thought about Warrior. I've seen the SG plugs on there too, not sure whether or not to try them though, half expect to find them swimming in a vat of water inside the tin. Completely overlooked the GH ones, thanks for the reminder.

MacNutz, you've obviously done your homework as GL Pease is about the only US tobacco we get over here, unless I've not been looking hard enough. I do see the JackKnife is available on Gauntley's of Nottingham. I think I've got alot a bit more thinking to do.

13. Biggles

Biggles Member

Revor & G&H's Dark Plug are regular favourites of mine. SG's Cob Plug is a good 'un too. FWIW I'de recommend packing any pressed bacca on the loose side; also the plugs from Kendal are usually sold as bulk blends, so no tins and they do actually seem to be noticably dryer than some of the tinned offerings (FVF, St. James & 1792 come to mind). Enjoy! :puffy:

David Emond likes this.
  14. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Bern, I don't know if you've seen this before but you should look at the 4noggins store. He is friendly to the commonwealth country's. That is if you do what to order some US tobaccos :). So don't limit your self to just mysmokingshop.

MacNutz and BernardLerring like this.
  15. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Thanks for the tip David, I trying not to order from abroad as I know what my luck is like with customs charges from previous experience, that might change if I get a job I'm going for though. I tend to stick with mysmokingshop as I've had nothing but excellence from them for the past two years and their prices seem to be amongst the best.

David Emond likes this.
  16. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

To me it's a rich dark chocolate mingled with stone fruit and just a whisper of leather.

For several years I've enjoyed my morning coffee with a fine cigar,usually a Bolivar Petite Corona.3P's has replaced the cigar.....and as many of you know the Boli PC with a little age is one fine smoke.Well that's my .02 on 3P's

Ron

17. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Living in a Common Wealth country, Canada, I can relate to the customs fears. What I have found, in Canada, is that even if I get hit with customs duties the price from 4noggins plus duties is still considerably less than it costs at a store here. Especially considering the 12 percent sales tax that I don't have to pay on foreign purchases. Still, I don't know how these things work in the UK. I know it is really bad in Australia, even worse than Canada.

David Emond and BernardLerring like this.
  18. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Sadly, its alot more expensive here, there's £15 customs charge plus an £8 handling fee that the Royal Mail tack on, and the cost of the tobacco and the international delivery on top. Compare that against £11 or £12 for a 50g tin of most tobaccos over here, there's no contest really. Shame as I'd love to order stuff from the States but my current financial status pretty much rules out. Still, one lives in hope.

Old Codger and David Emond like this.
  19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

3Ps is good....but I'd recommend Revor Plug. Definitely Revor Plug.

Grousemoor Plug and Kendal Plug are also fantastic.

David Emond and BernardLerring like this.
  20. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Thanks Nesta, is there any comparison between Grousemoor Plug and the Aromatic?

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.