1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Poll: What is your pipe stem/bit of choice?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by user2725, Sep 6, 2012.

?

What is your pipe stem/bit of choice?

1. Black Ebonite/Vulcanite

45.1%
  2. Cumberland

19.6%
  3. Black Acrylic

23.5%
  4. Colored/swirled Acrylic

37.3%
  5. Amber

3.9%
  6. Other

3.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Just curious to see what people prefer as a stem/bit for their pipes, my favorites are Cumberland and swirled acrylic.

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've actually only owned/smoked vulcanite and swirled acrylic. Based on that, I do prefer the acrylic for it's durability and feel.

3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I voted Black Acrylic. The only other type I've owned is Vulcanite. I like the feel of Vulcanite a little better but I find the low maintenance of Acrylic more attractive.

user2725 and krusty like this.
  4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I like the feel of vulcanite. A little softer I guess.

Albert and Rewster66 like this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I voted for black and swirled acrylic. It depends on the meer pipe. Some look better with one and some with the other. I tolerated vulcanite on companies that used it and I tolerate it today when Baki uses it on some of his pipes, but I prefer the harder acrylic.

6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

:popc:
    (I like both, but tend to go for old-school)

Rewster66 likes this.
  7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

swirled acrylic for me!

8. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Most of my pipes are black vulcanite type stems except my meer and my Iwan Reis those are swirled acrylic. I voted that way 'cause I LOVE the stem on my IR!

9. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

hmm, still a tie between vulcanite and swirled acrylic

10. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

That's me.

11. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I am torn on this one, If I had to choose on feel alone it would be Ebonite but with it's high maintenance and ease of damage factor I also like the low maintenance and durability of Acrylic although I do find them more difficult to clench, I use softy bits on the majority of my pipe not only to make them more clenchable but to protect them from damage, I have mixed emotions on them as I think they detract from the experience, I guess I could go without them and just have the pipe re-stemmed when needed, it just pains me to see damage on a pipe I spent what I call a lot of money on.

Rodfather and Albert like this.
  12. smokerpipe

smokerpipe Member

Black Vulcanite is my choice. :bing:

13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I voted Black, Colored/Swirled Acrylic and Other, other being the ABS plastic stems they use on Dr. Grabow pipes and the stock plastic stems that come on the Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes.

user2725 likes this.
  14. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Comfort is more important to me than stem material. I have had pipes with all of the mentioned stem material. Some were more comfortable regardless of stem material. The maker has all the influence in the comfort of the stem.

jdto and user2725 like this.
  15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I like acrylic for its low maintenance, black or colored/swirled depends on the esthetic of the pipe. Vulcanite is comfortable, just a pain to keep up. I can't stand to see oxidation on a stem, and I don't like risking my markings by having to buff regularly.

user2725 likes this.
  16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Savinelli and Stanwell...I have pipes from them with acryllic bits that are so thin and comfortable in the mouth that I like them. In this case, they're great because they require so little maintenance.

In general I prefer the feel of vulcanite, though.

But looks are important, and hell, I just LOVE Cumberland!

So Cumberland it is. All the comfort of vulcanite, but looks sharp as a tack

Jussto and user2725 like this.
  17. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I voted other.....I use the rubber softee bits so it really doesn't matter to me.

18. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

I'm with Jussto!

The only acrylic I've seen that wasn't hard / uncomfortable was on my Savinelli Oscar Aries Canadian, it's off white with some gray to simulate bone I think, and is a hell of a lot softer than other acrylic bits I've tried, almost has a hard rubber quality to it, but still has that squeaky plastic like feel sound to it from acrylic. Not sure why it's different from every other acrylic stem I've seen? :confused:
    [​IMG]

Preacher1611 likes this.
  19. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I saw a video the other day on Castello pipes and they mentioned a special custom formula acrylic used for their bits which is softer and more like Vulcanite.

20. jdto

jdto Active Member

I was convinced I liked vulcanite, but the two black acrylic stems I have are really nice. So overall, I like both.

user2725 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.