1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pot Shaped Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stoked, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoked

Stoked Member

Hey guys, I've recently purchased a pot Savinelli briar and I find it smokes vastly different than my other briars. With the wide bowl upper diameter and the conical shape it makes lighting very tricky as well as keeping it lit. It smokes very cool so my tobaccos taste different in this pipe. I've also found that it is very particular as to what cut should be smoked with this shape.

If you do a search on the internet you don't find any information on how to pack this pipe, nor what tobaccos this pipe is best suited for. The only information I've found is that its a good "outdoor" pipe.

Thanks to Sas, I've learned that the cannonball/Frank Method of packing works well. I've also discovered that ribbon cut/rubbed flake also works with my 316 EX. And to get it lit it's best to use a lighter rather than my preferred matches.

I'm hoping that this thread would serve as a knowledge base for this particular shape where pot pipers could share their experiences.

Let's make this a good thread as there's nothing like it to be found anywhere on the net, and it's bound to come up while googling. :cursing:

Cheers!

[​IMG]
    ~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

2. Stoked

Stoked Member

Best tamping method? Thin cake or thick cake? Moisture level of toby?

:cursing:

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Calling Oglethorpe, the self proclaimed Pot lover!!!! Oglethorpe your Pot loving input is needed! :cursing:

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Our fellow PSFer stummelbum sold me a pipe he made that could be described as a pot. It's perfect for OGS which I always rub out prior to lighting up.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I have two very good pots, one of which is the finest pipe that I have ever smoked. I don't discriminate on cut of tobacco, but flakes really shine the brightest. It's what these pipes have in common with other shapes; great briar, great drilling, and great craftmanship, that make them enjoyable to me, as opposed to any unique characteristics of the shape.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm gonna guess that the airways on those pots are wider than the average pipe.

I had a Peterson 606 that I couldn't keep lit because I just had to suck and suck on it, with it's wee little airways. Savinelli at least offers a guy a chance to pull enough air without having to work at it.

I think the challenge of a pot is to get the whole thing lit nice and even, and the cannonball/airpack seems to be the best way to make that happen.

7. jpberg

Funny you mention the 606, I have a Kapmeer 606 with a p lip. I want to throw the thing against the wall after every smoke, but it's got sentimental value....the draw of a swizzle stick, but sentimental nontheless.

Edited to add that yes, the airways on those are a bit wider than most two lane roads.

8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

So its safe to assume that since this 1 particular pot was the best pipe you've ever smoked that Sas wasn't the carver :whistle:

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Stoked,

If you are referring to shape 316, I have one (316 KS),
    that I've smoked for almost 10 years. three step
    method works quite well with VA blends. Used to smoke
    Independence in it exclusively, but that ghosted it
    bigtime. Anyway, sliced cake partially rubbed out.
    Hope this helps.

dp

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Okay, that's it. You're off the list.

PS Snake, is that blank verse or what?

11. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I think you need a :bing: (just not from me :sick: )

And just for you Sas... :whistle:

:dunno:

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

pots are either great or total crap in my experience, probably due to sas's favorite pipe ailment "narrow airway syndrome". any rate, once you get used to packing them they're great though i've noticed mine do better with well rubbed flakes than ribbon cut tobaccos.

either way mess around with it til it works for you. good luck.

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Huh?

14. jpberg

Lines that don't rhyme, but are in the same meter. You need some sleep, Bannard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.