Pouch Moisteners

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Badcompany, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hello Form,
    Is there any need to add a pouch moistener when storing tobacco in Mason jars.
    Badcompany.

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

In my opinion, there is no need to add a "moistener". The whole object behind using Mason jars is that they seal the tobacco and keep the existing moisture from evaporating. What you want to do is keep the same moisture level as the blender put into the product, not add more.

Dan

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Only if the toby is crispy.
    Like some Independence I have.
    FWIW

dp

4. ted

ted Member

My way... Storing 4 ounces of dry tobacco, I wet 4 fingers with distilled water. Shake what I can into the jar, and seal. 3 ounces= 3 fingers. 1 ounce = 1 finger.

Moisteners do little after the jar is sealed..

Works for me.... ted

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

most tobaccos i smoke don't need it. in fact, it helps to let some dry out (one pound of gawith flake takes about a month to dry to what i consider a smokeable level leaving the jar lid on but not screwed on).

a lot of shag and ribbon cut tobaccos might at some point need it, but probably won't. my little rule is, leave them alone til there's a budding problem, then get a pouch moistener, leave it in for 1-2 weeks or til its properly rehydrated. my favorite method for rehydrating is actually just a paper towel damp with distilled water, with the jar lid screwed down over the towel. that'll rehydrate ~ half a pound of toby overnight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.