Pre-carbonization coming away

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Spam, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spam

Spam Member

Hi all,

I've been slowly breaking in a Parker Rhodesian, and noticed today that some of the pre-carbonization is coming away from the walls of the bowl. What should I do!?

Part of me thinks I should just ignore it, because it doesn't seem to affect the smoking, and carry on as I am. The other, more logical, part of me thinks that I should do something about it because the cake is building on it, and if it comes away it'll take the cake with it.
    And, as a small part has come away at the heel I'm worried about the heat there.

EDIT: Here's a picture of what I mean...

[​IMG]

Any advice?

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Smoke her more!

That precarb is for your first few smokes mainly so just smoke thru but watch the heat in the barren area(s).

Ed
    Puff

shadow likes this.
  3. Spam

Spam Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! I'll see what others have to say, but I sure hope you're in the majority, Puff :)

4. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

I have an estate Stanwell this happened to. The pre-carb peeled right off by finger nail after a few bowls of Skiff mixture, she works fine though.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    This looks like a fine pipe! Any chance of a full picture perhaps?
    As for the carbon coming off: You could even sand it down to raw wood which is what I'd do... and then smoke it slowly to build up a PROPER carbon cake:)

6. Spam

Spam Member

I'll see how we're going after a few bowls, but sanding it down is something I'll definitely bear in mind.

As for that picture, here you go...

[​IMG]

It's quite a nice pipe, especially for the price (£20!). My only complaint - apart from the pre-carb coming away - is that the the hole in the stem and the hole in the shank don't line up perfectly, it means I can't pass a pipe cleaner all the way through... But it doesn't hinder the smoking, so it's no biggy.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Nice one, Spam!!! And a good price, too!
    As for passing a pipe cleaner all the way through: Once you're through the stem try and twist the cleaner a bit, and you might get it all the way into the bowl.
    The thing with bent pipes is that the smoke canal of the bowl has to be drilled at a different angle to the tenon to ensure it meets the bowl at the bottom.

8. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Yes.....great looking Parker, have a Parker Dublin myself.

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Many bent pipes suffer this minor irritation. Try variations on a slight bend to the insertion-end of the pipecleaner; when it hangs up, try the well known "twist and poke" method until it finds the route. Some are like picking a lock but mostly it's easy.

10. Paul

Paul Member

My peterson 05 does this, its impossible to get a pipe cleaner through there with the stem on. i just take the stem off and do it that way

11. user1975

user1975 Active Member

My favorite pipe shape is an Oom Paul, and it's almost impossible to find one that will pass a cleaner all the way to the bowl, even doing the twist and poke.

12. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

My Peterson 80s is the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.