1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pre-carbonized Petes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by HenryEnglander, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryEnglander

HenryEnglander Member

Good day pipe smokers!

I just have a question regarding Petersons and the pre-carbonised coating. I have just ordered my first Pete and was wondering whether it was pre-carbonized or not. It is the Donegal Rocky 006.

I have read in various places that all new Petes come pre-carbonized these days. Is this true?

I should add that I am not bothered one way or the other but would just like to know! I'd also appreciate an easier break in (whether the pre-carb gives that or not...).

Thank you in advance! :thankyou:

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Ive never seen a Pete that wasn't precarbed. If you're not sure just look down into the bowl. If you don't see bare wood its precarbed.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Time was that rusticated and sandblasted Petes were coated, and smooths were not. In any event, their pre-carb is not terrible tasting stuff, and I'd take it over a stained bowl.

Almost invariably, the solution to any new Peterson issue is to smoke the pipe heavily for 2 weeks, at which point the problem will be gone.

4. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

My 80s wasnt pre carbed. My 606s was. Both smooth. Tasted fine to me and tghe pre carb is building up cake much better out of the two new ones I bought.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All

Bought a Donegal Rocky 999 earlier this year and it was the first Peterson I've ever had that didn't taste vile for the first fortnight due to the stain they used to have inside the bowl.

With other pipes I prefer to break thenm in myself, but with Peterson the pre treatment is great, I think, and I wish they'd always done it!

Happy smoking!

Gerry

6. HenryEnglander

HenryEnglander Member

Thank you, everyone!
    :thankyou:
    :D

7. Johnny

Johnny Member

I received two new Peterson's System Standards in the mail today, both smooth, one had the bowl coating and the other had the stain. Just smoked the one with the coating and it tasted fine. The one with the stain is getting the cotton and alcohol treatment to try to leech some of the stain out

8. Jay

Jay Active Member

I have 2 Peterson's they tasted terrible for the first several smokes. Once they are broken in they are great.

I believe they were pre-carbonized

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.