1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Precision Pipe Repair

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by beeftip, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeftip

beeftip Member

Greetings,

First, I want to stress that the purpose of this post is not to besmirch the name or reputation of Precision Pipe Repair. It is simply an attempt to gather information and advice.

In March of 2010 I sent 3 pipes to George at Precision Pipe Repair for refurbishing and some stem work. Nearly a year later I don't have my pipes back nor do I have any idea of their status. I sent George a couple of emails last summer and finally called him in August looking for an update. In all cases I was told it would be about six weeks as he was incredibly busy. Apparently getting the Greg Pease seal of approval will lead to an avalanche of work.

Recently I've left him a voicemail and sent an email and am waiting on a response.

The pipes I sent aren't super valuable in terms of dollars. One is a Cavicchi, one a Savinelli and the third is a Hardcastle. So I can understand why my pipes might get pushed back in the order if he has other more prestigious pipes to repair or if he has repairs that would be more profitable for him to work on than mine.

Do any of you have any experience with Precision Pipe Repair? Is this kind of wait normal?

At this point I would just like to get my pipes back and locate a different repair shop. Can you make any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. cellophane

cellophane Member

I don't know about Precision, but my dealings with Walker Briar Works have been top notch.

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I can only say that Ronni at Night Owl Pipe replaced the tenon of a pipe for me in less than two weeks, including shipping time.

I think a year is completely unacceptable, especially if you weren't told it would take a year. It seems to me that without a warning to the contrary, that anything over about six to eight weeks is too much.

4. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Ask him to just send them back....and hope it doesn't take ANOTHER year.....that's an unacceptable length of time.

5. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Walker Briar Works is a very good alternative for when you get your pipe back.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Same as above!

I used WalkerBriarworks last year - Dave gave me a quote online once he'd received the pipes, when I said go ahead he gave me an order number and scheduled the work - I was able to check it's progress on line. At every stage I was kept abreast of what was happening and got the work back when promised and in a satisfactory condition. Dave even gave me advice on how to pack the meers before I sent them.

Cannot recommend this firm too highly,

Gerry

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I think you ought to give Greg Pease a heads up if he pumped Precision. Maybe he has the juice to get your pipes fixed or, at least, returned from a shop he endorsed(?). Sorry your pipes have gone down a black hole; has to be a bad feeling.

I have (had or) heard about only good results from:

Walker Briar Works
    Night Owl (Ronnie)
    Norwood's Pipe Repair (Floyd)
    American Smoking Pipe Co. (Mark)

8. beeftip

beeftip Member

All fixed. George is a great guy. He ended up having some fairly serious trouble over the summer that caused him to be unable to work until just recently.

He agreed to send me my pipes back without charging me shipping. I would have had him go ahead and do the repairs, but really, we're talking about a bunch of pipes that aren't even worth what it would cost to have him do the work I requested.

Please don't let my experience discourage you from calling on him if you need pipe repair. I would just make sure to contact him first to find out if he has the capacity and what kind of timeframe you're looking at.

9. Prof

Prof Member

+4 for Walker Briar Works . . . Top notch, getting some pipes back in the mail, and I will post pictures.

B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.