Presbyterian Mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be a lot more hestitent to buy a tin of something I didn't know, but knowing I can trade it is always settling and lets me "branch" out to new tobaccos. Often times I find that I really enjoy them.

dmkerr

PG- free since '83!
Staff member
. I have found that I love certain tobaccos that the vast majority on the reviews hate; as well as hate some that are raved about on the reviews. I guess we don't all have the same sense of taste or preference.
This is the beauty of the hobby.
A good review should tell you a little about the tobacco in an objective sense... what it looks like, smells like in the tin, the component tobaccos, how it burns, etc.

The subjective part, which is also part of any good review, is the part that is way too personal for any reader to take much stock in, except as entertainment.

So reviews should be both worthwhile and somewhat pointless. :D Anyone that buys a blend that has excellent reviews and ends up hating it has no one to blame but themselves. You obviously march to your own drummer, which is exactly what everyone should do.

A good review should tell you a little about the tobacco in an objective sense... what it looks like, smells like in the tin, the component tobaccos, how it burns, etc.

The subjective part, which is also part of any good review, is the part that is way too personal for any reader to take much stock in, except as entertainment.

So reviews should be both worthwhile and somewhat pointless. :D Anyone that buys a blend that has excellent reviews and ends up hating it has no one to blame but themselves. You obviously march to your own drummer, which is exactly what everyone should do.
I often just look at the reviews to see what the blend consists of, then I just look for commonalities with many of the reviews.

FlatbushPaul

Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker
Sometimes I look for a reviewer that I can relate to. If you see a tobacco you like and agree with a reviewer, you can look for that reviewer with other blends and it can be helpful. Of course it might not be as well! Taste is such a subjective thing.

Paul

dmkerr

PG- free since '83!
Staff member
I often just look at the reviews to see what the blend consists of, then I just look for commonalities with many of the reviews.
Excellent advice. That will give you a bit better perspective. But the proof comes one way only... in the smoking.

dmkerr

PG- free since '83!
Staff member
Sometimes I look for a reviewer that I can relate to. If you see a tobacco you like and agree with a reviewer, you can look for that reviewer with other blends and it can be helpful. Of course it might not be as well! Taste is such a subjective thing.

Paul
I got nailed on that. One person who follows my reviews emailed me and said I "let them down" by giving a certain blend high marks. Silly. My personal taste is good for one person only - me! It may work 50% of the time for someone, 75% of the time for someone else and even 98% of the time for our third contestant, but it only works 100% of the time for me. :D

FlatbushPaul

Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker
I got nailed on that. One person who follows my reviews emailed me and said I "let them down" by giving a certain blend high marks. Silly. My personal taste is good for one person only - me! It may work 50% of the time for someone, 75% of the time for someone else and even 98% of the time for our third contestant, but it only works 100% of the time for me. :D
Lol! Damn you kerr! Letting the population down like that!

No, my point is just as a reference. Everyone’s taste is so different. It's all a crapshoot anyways.

Maybe the plum tin note was due to fermentation? When I first tried Presby several years ago, I didn't much care for it. At the time I loved Squadron Leader, H&H Sunjammer and GLP Piccadilly. Those 3 have faded in my Top100 listings while Presby has gone to the top tier. Still don't quite tune into Red Rapparree and EMP. All of these Orientals with small portions of Latakia are my breakfast blends, along with Preludio, Gordon Pym and Pelican.

hp
les

RTOdhner

Love the stuff. It's a very mild "English/Balkan" blend, with the Orientals taking the stage - such as it is. Nothing Earth-shattering, just a pleasant little blend for those times when you want a bit of Oriental spice.

Status
Not open for further replies.