Presbyterian what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jayson H Bucy, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I ordered this on the strong recommendations of this and other sites. I anxiously waited daily by the mail until it finally came in! I instantly loaded up a bowl and went to the garage to smoke it and bleh, blek, garfle. I'm trying to figure out what is in it that made me dislike it so much. Is it the orientals?

2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Well, give the tin some time to breathe after opening, 20 mins will do it. This goes for most tinned tobacco. Try it again after that, or on a smoke by smoke basis, leave it in the bowl for a while before lighting up.

Having said that, I am not Presbyterian's biggest fan either.

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Same here.

4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I think is started with the Scottish Reformation:) -David

Wicklow, zirrow, 50rayj and 9 others like this.
  5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I like Presbyterian but it is not on my list of favourites. It is one that certainly improves with a bit of drying and as mentioned the delayed gratification technique works well with this one. There are many better mild English blends around

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It may not be for you, revisit the leaf, it may turn you around 180.

Some are crazy about this leaf while others could take it or leave it. I"m a "tweener". It's a good blend and for those days, it was possibly the best around.

Ed
    Puff

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

What went wrong??? Ask the blender! :xd:

Just kidding! But it's definitely not for me.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

You are not the first to snork PM and then throw up a little in your mouth. I like it but, like Bracken Flake or 1792, it has some profound elements and can be polarizing.

Let it dry out a good bit, like they said. You may decide it's worth permanently stinking up an otherwise good briar with a power-ghost. :D

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Also try it with different pipes. Sometimes that does make a diff whether it's briar, cob, meer. etc.
    Or, just put it away for a while and come back to it. Tastes change.
    I am speaking from experience on both my above mentioned suggestions.

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

'Orientals' can be a perfect addition to a blend, or a purgative, in my experience. (I've hurled on Red Raparree(sp?).) I can imagine that they just don't agree with you at the amount Presby has. Then again, it could be any number of other reasons. I think giving it another shot may suprise you, but yeah, maybe dry it out first and use another pipe. Maybe also try it with a full stomach, with a beverage...basically, change up your experience when smoking it. If that doesn't work, into the cellar or into a trade it goes! With 4000+ blends around, it's no big loss...

Mington likes this.
  11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I had a similar initial experience. I'll smoke just about anything and have come across very few tobaccos that I really didn't like, but PM was just... bad. Not like 'uninspiring' or 'a little too thin' or 'not my cup of tea' - like gross nasty bad. I can't figure it out. My guess is that the topping they spray on it just doesn't agree with me and it stays trapped and concentrated in the plastic wrapper. I'd probably give it another go sometime, but with a very well-aired tin only.

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

See what happens when you listen to these jokers?

HCraven, Old Ted and dmkerr like this.
  13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Presbyterian is now blended by Planta of Berlin. They also make "The Banker's"....Whatever Planta makes is RUBBISH! PERIOD!

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  14. Mister Moo

Truer words never spoken, Mings. I find orientals are sometimes profoundly affected by the pipe-de-jour and typically demand a dedicated puffer.

15. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I ended up trading it to another PSF'r. I was mainly trying to figure out my tastes. This has really scared me away from orientals and solidified why I like Frog Morton and PS English Luxury so much.

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I love the stuff! That is, when I'm in the mood for it. When everything lines up just perfectly, its one of the best blends around as far as I'm concerned.

If something is just a littttttttle bit off (my mood, the weather, moisture of the leaf, pipe I choose, packing, cadence) then it goes from sublime to sub par rather quickly.

Keep the tin sealed up nicely (or better yet jar it) and revisit it in a month or two. It may grow on you with time.

I love the stuff, and when it's on it's perfect, but I think there are more even keeled, well mannered Oriental-forward English blends out there which are much easier to approach.

17. Capt

Capt Active Member

Hey, ya can't love em all, right?

PM did nothing for me either.

18. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I like it as an occasional 'diversion' but do prefer 'Punchbowle' - when feeling like that kind of blend.
    OT

19. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I like Presby and I don't like Frog Morton. One man's trash....
    I generally don't recommend blends because I have unusual tastes - especially compared to nearly everyone else on this board.

Ol Brokedik and Mister Moo like this.
  20. Mister Moo

You're not alone on that Frog stuff, Arkle. I first tried the poutine of english blends long after I'd acquired a taste for the braised asperagus tips, filet mignon with bourdelaise- and peppercorn sauce, twice-baked potatoes and heirloom gooseberry pie with homemade vanilla ice cream burned with dark rum of the genre.

It's hard to go back...

:laff:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.