Price of Tobacco in my neck of the woods.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Danek, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Danek

David Danek Member

Good day all. I purchased my first pipe after a pipe sabatical of nearly 10 years and love the pipe. I picked up a Peterson System Pipe and it smokes like a dream. I was struck by a sledge hammer how ever when I asked the price of pipe tobacco.. 1 oz for 18 bucks. I decided to go back to pipe as these backwoods ive been smoking to stay alert at my work are costing so much. At present they are a pack of 5 for 15 dollars.... Insane I thought and I remembered the price of tobacco was quite reasonable.... Think again. with my pipe I ordered 4 packages of one ounce each and they were 18 dollars per ounce. I hope im not the only Albertan who is disgusted by this outrageous tax on Tobacco products. Is there a way around this insanity? I talked to Customs today and they said for example if I was sent 300 grams of tobacco from the U.S. and it cost 10 dollars, The wonderful government would slap a 75 dollar tobacco tax on that little 300 gram bag, and if that wasnt enough another excise tax of around 35 dollars. so that 300 gram bag would cost around 100 dollars plus the cost to ship it up here.. Oh and im shure the brokerage would take there pound of flesh as well.
    If anyone has a good sudgestion to keep my pipe filled please let me know.. hehe This is nuts.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I'm sure eventually organized crime will find a way to profit from tobacco smuggling if this kind of stuff keeps up.:whis: Also, I guess you could try growing your own if the climate up there permitted it.:beck:

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If ya ever drive to the states ... get a 5 lb bag of something and take it home ... surely you can stash it in yer car and get it back in . I doubt they have tobacco snifing dogs at the Canadian Border . If they do ... light a pipe .. lol

4. David Danek

David Danek Member

Nope no chance of growing where I am at. its winter 6 months of the year and summer this year I think was a couple weeks or so and fall was the flavor of the rest of the year.
    Im hoping to find others in Alberta who order south of the boarder to see if they know other ways.
    I contacted smokingpipes.com and they said as long as you order less then 7 ounces your ok. Would love to have some confirmation from others in my neck of the woods.

Thanks..

P.S. DAMN I cant believe the responce so quick to my introduction... you guys are amazing... :)

5. Albert

Albert Active Member

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

How far a drive is it from your house to the States? Just how thoroughly would they search your vehicle? Kind of sad when we have to ponder "hypothetical" tobacco supply scenarios. Does this make us criminals?

Mark w4mms likes this.
  7. David Danek

David Danek Member

From where I live its about an 11 hour drive to the boarder. So, sad to say wont be hapening as I work from 5 AM to 7 PM monday through saturday. hehe Dont think I would be able to fit it in on sunday. :) but It has crossed my mind.
    As far as this making us criminals, Thinking the government officials who make up these laws and such are door knobs, would in itself put us on the fence of criminal behaviour im shure.. haha

8. ruffinogold

Nope .... makes the Government Asholes

Wicklow likes this.
  9. David Danek

David Danek Member

Im shure we all can agree with that one. They tax tobacco so high up here and disguise it as " We want to tax the heck out of tobacco so people quit!" YEA right!! they tax tobacco so high because they know its there second best source of income other then the biggie Incometax.

10. ruffinogold

If you guys could export snow .... ya wouldnt need any taxes . So get busy on that ... ay

11. RTOdhner

They made tobacco illegal in prisons. The logic was that it caused health problems, but I suspect the real reason was the "get tough" crowd wanting to deny inmates any sort of enjoyment because they were in prison to be punished, not to smoke. Fair enough, I guess, but when they did that they turned an issue that was really no more than a minor nuisance into a major security problem, forcing prison officials to have to spread their already over-extended and under-staffed manpower resources even thinner. And to make the pot even sweeter, it did very little to curtail tobacco use. (Did a lot, though, to create/enhance a more lucrative inmate vice racket).

These dipshats never learn. Look how well prohibition and the war on drugs turned out. Just another money maker in the wings for drug cartels, organized crime, and security threat groups like the Aryan Brotherhood. People are still gonna smoke, so now we can all look forward to the potential that we will become criminals. Will they put us on probation, or give us 5-10 for possession (or possession with intent to distribute)? Or will "progressive" jurisdictions create tobacco courts to supplement their drug courts?

Wicklow, Mark w4mms and albot9 like this.
  12. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I'm sure if the "anti's" have their way, we'll all be criminals one day soon.:(

13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I guess no one has tried to "mule in" pipe tobacco yet. If swallowing it didn't work I guess you could try an extra large prison size suppository. The end justifies the means.

Ol Brokedik.

14. Albert

Albert Active Member

:eek:

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  15. RTOdhner

Ah, I see a money maker here: Old Keister Tobacco Company. Is that their Latakia that I smell, or the mode of transport?

Jayson H Bucy, HCraven, MarkC and 3 others like this.
  16. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Geez, I pay $2 an oz for tobacco and $15 for a tin. I feel for ya.

17. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Customs today and they said for example if I was sent 300 grams of tobacco from the U.S. and it cost 10 dollars, The wonderful government would slap a 75 dollar tobacco tax on that little 300 gram bag, and if that wasnt enough another excise tax of around 35 dollars.

How would they know you had been sent tobacco if it came in a plain brown wrapper and the return address was not a tobacco retailer? I wouldn't lie if they asked me but I sure wouldn't be a blabber-mouth and volunteer info.

18. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Yes! There is an easy way around it, and Customs just doesn't want you to know the "magic numbers" as it were. Currently, tobacco through the mail falls under the same regulations as tobacco purchased while across the line - so, basically, if you want duty-free leaf, you need to follow these simple guidelines:
    1) The order placed can be for a maximum of 200g of tobacco, 201g will get dinged for duties on the entire amount
    2) The order placed must have a maximum declaired value of $20 CAD. If it is declared at $20.01, you will be dung on the entire amount. Shipping costs are not calculated in this figure.

That said, the CBSA agent that actually inspects your package comes into it...in all honesty, bulk blends in envelopes seem to slip past without being looked at too hard, and even boxes with a declared value under $30 seem to be given a pass.

19. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Borkum Riff

Mark w4mms likes this.
  20. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Hey, RTOdhner. This is great stuff! You brought a smile to my face. I live for humor. Keep up the great work. Too funny. Thanks for stopping by.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.