Probably the strangest question ever......

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Pastor Charlie, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor Charlie

Pastor Charlie Member

This question will reveal just what a newbie I really am. I've really never been a tobacco user other than some "cheap" cigars while at the beach or while at deer camp or fishing. For some reason I love the idea of smoking a pipe. My question is is it possible to enjoy pipe smoking without particularly enjoying tobacco. Told you it was strange. In other words, I love the nuances of pipe smoking and I love to smell it. I think I enjoy the ritual and history of it all and the relaxed and contemplative atmosphere that it affords. Perhaps the taste of tobacco, in and of itself, will grow on me, but is there anyone else who can even remotely relate to what I'm describing? Have at it!

Blessings,

Pastor Charlie

2. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Hmmm, well if it interests you enough to create a PSF account you might as well give it a try. I think you'll find that pipe smoking is a hobby and not a habitutal addiction. A lot of the fun is in collecting and trying new things. It sounds like you are interested in trying something new so you've already taken the first step.

I think the taste of tobacco will probably grow on you. Kind of like coffee or beer. Most people don't like these when they first try them but they are intrigued enough to come back. And at some point something clicks and begin to actually enjoy the flavor.

3. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

I do love tobacco but I think I like the idea and ritual of pipe smoking even more.

SmokeySwamp and Pastor Charlie like this.
  4. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

Try some aromatics. Mac Baren Vanilla Cream doesn't taste like tobacco at all, it tastes like vanilla. There are also different blends and tobaccos you might find that you really do like. If not, just have a pipe as a prop. People do it all the time; anything, as long as you find it enjoyable.

Preacher1611 and ruffinogold like this.
  5. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

By the way, I love those dogs.

Rodfather and Pastor Charlie like this.
  6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Hi Charlie! I only indulge once or twice a week (1 bowl only). I enjoy it very much. But also do not want to become addicted. I only enjoy it as an occasional treat and to relax. I enjoy only on the front porch with no inhalation.

I would recommend you buy a nice MM cob, and a few types of baccy, such as a burley, a virginia, and your favorite smelling aromatic. Experiment to see the one's you enjoy. Remember to take it very slow. That is when it is most enjoyable. If you don't enjoy the baccy taste, you won't enjoy the experience. Also, realize that while smoking you will not enjoy the smell as you would as a bystander.

If you don't like the tobacco taste, you might want to try incense!;)

Good luck!

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

If all you've ever had was cheap cigars, then you may find that like tobacco more than you thought once you get a nice cob and some decent burley or a sweet virginia burning in it.

I never loved cigars, the tastes were all off to me, and cigarettes weren't about flavor at all. My pipe smoking, however, has opened a totally new world of taste and enjoyment that I wouldn't have known existed before.

8. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I am a died in the wool nicotine addict. It wasn't until I started with the pipe that I actually started to like the taste of tobacco. It wasn't instant, either. There was a time that I didn't like any of the stuff that I was smoking. It all tasted like smoke, with nothing else to it. But my addiction made me keep at it, and I'm glad I did.

The big "ah-ha!" moment came when I got some higher-end tins, specifically latakia-heavy blends. Ten Russians changed the way I smoke. The scales fell from my eyes and I was able to tell the differences between the different kinds of blends. I liken it to a hard-reset of my tastebuds. Now, I like a few aromatics and Carter Hall became one of my go-to smokes.

So, maybe you should try some *insert-tobacco-type-here*-heavy blends. Start picking out the different behaviours of different blends. Not that i know what the hell I'm talking about, but that's what worked for me.

9. Waino

Waino Active Member

I hope there is. Indians smoked in ceremonial way.

There is something between human being and smoke. A man can use also fire, incense and candles.

Tobacco addict has only two alternatives: quit or die. I know that and that´s why I am grateful to a pipe. It saved me. Two packs of cigarettes a day for a years, nowadays 2-3 bowls a day.

Blessings.

10. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

I too love the ritual of taking an hour out to sit down with a coffee or stronger beverage and enjoy smoking a pipe. The taste and Vitamin N dose is a big bonus. However there are some tobaccos that make me want to smoke it on taste alone...mmm...Carter Hall...

Professor and Artistik like this.
  11. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

I don't see why it would be impossible to enjoy a pipe while not particularly enjoying tobacco. Guess that the only way to find out is to try it and see.

Pastor Charlie likes this.
  12. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

They may come for me with pitchforks for saying so, but enjoying a pipe without enjoying tobacco is quite possible with many aromatics. They smell nice, taste barely sweet, and don't have any noticeable nicotine or real tobacco flavor. Having said that, there are many who enjoy aromatics primarily, and are just as serious about pipe smoking as anyone else.

Try it, you might like it!

13. Pfeifenraucher

Pfeifenraucher Member

I totally agree with Pecci... You can't enjoy the room note when you're the one producing it. When choosing a tobacco or blend, I always trust my nose and it rarely fails me. There is the odd batch that smells great before lighting it up and then tastes like something totally different when smoked, but I find that to be rare. The great thing about pipe smoking and pipe smokers is that no two are alike and the blends of pipe tobacco are endless. I know there is a blend out there with your name on it. Good luck.:th1:

14. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I just saw on your info page that you have only tried Captain Black and a couple others. I just pm'd you.

Lets fix this.

Preacher1611 and Pastor Charlie like this.
  15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm the same way about coffee - love the smell and the "ambience", hate the taste.

I'm starting to flirt with flavored coffees with some success. I'm told that I will one day "graduate" to more natural flavors. Perhaps that's how you should approach pipe tobacco... some heavily flavored aromatics to start.

16. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I agree that aromatics are the way to go for this scenario. I'm not big on them because I think most of them are flavorless, but that appears to be what you are looking for. However, there are two aromatics that I think do have a wonderful flavor: Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. I think that these two blends strike a perfect balance between the flavoring agent (which is applied with an even hand) and tobacco (which is of good quality). Give them a try - they might be just what you're looking for.

17. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Second that. I don't like the flavor used in SWRA, but i think it's one of the best examples of an aromatic I've ever found.

18. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

If it's aromatics that you're looking for I will throw in a recommendation for McClellend Holiday Spirit 2012. I'm not a big fan of aromatics either but Holiday Spirit 2012 has a very satisfying flavor. It's a limited edition blend and it will only be available for a few more months but it's available now.

I bought a tin by recommendation and I really like the blend. I'm a proud owner of 3 1/2 tins at the moment and I just might buy some more before it's all gone.

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think what happens is that a guy might get going with a pipe for the ritualistic/relaxation aspect, and either learn to appreciate at least some tobaccos, or at least find some that don't offend. It's pretty enjoyable, and when you do find a taste that you like, there's basically no other way to reproduce it. Pipe smoke fills your head, overwhelms your senses - it's literally a very sensual experience and not one reproduceable in any other way. Couple that with a taste that you enjoy (when you find it you'll know), and it's pretty incredible.

I'm a dedicated recreational pipe smoker. I don't like or handle nicotine very well, I have no cravings of that sort - I just enjoy the heck out of a pipe when I can find the time and mental space to do so. I would never smoke a cigarette in place of a pipe - it's a completely alien idea to me.

Get a tin of Chesdin or Frog Morton, and the light will go on.

20. Pastor Charlie

Pastor Charlie Member

I sure do appreciate everyone's input. Great words of encouragement! Soon I plan on visiting my newly discovered local B and M and I believe that will help. Quite honestly, I really haven't been exposed to that many different kinds of pipe tobacco to know if I actually like it or not. I do know that I enjoy pipes. Thanks again to each of you. A great community, indeed!

Preacher1611 and RTOdhner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.