Problem Purchase Put Right

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by nesta, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

After much lamenting the crappy imported cob purchased yesterday, I decided to take a few bucks and go to the nearest carry out to pick up a sixer...

It's a smoke shop, too, though they carry little in the way of pipe gear. Cleaners, a few OTC blends...but I figured I'd take a look....and what do they have? Good old Missouri Meerschaum! Partial display of bent "Legend" pipes.

And guess what? I didn't even have to go without beer. For 5.53 I picked up an authentic MM cob and a 40 of swill (yeah, swill....but I'm broke and just want to relax today). Without even having smoked it I can tell this pipe is of supremely better construction than the one I got yesterday. And the sad part is what I bought yesterday (simply a pipe, no beer) cost me a few cents more than what I bought today...

SO....I've got what I expect to be a QUALITY cob now. Is there anything I should prepare for or expect or otherwise know about the early stages of a cob's life before I fill her up with some PA and go to the porch?

I haven't even smoked it yet, and just holding it and looking at it I know this was a good purchase...

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

Corn-gratulations!

3. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

Let us know how it goes, after reading your last thread I fired of an email to MM this morning checking shipping to Scotland.
    Jordan

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

wider bowl, sturdier bottom, denser cob, everything about this is already better. I'm gonna go fire it up :groucho:

Oh, and I heard from my other thread that cobs can taste funny for the first couple of smokes. This one is filtered, but I don't plan on keeping it that way. but will leaving the filter in for the first few smokes be of benefit? Never smoked a filtered pipe before.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Save yourself the trouble and pull out the filter now.

They absorb a little moisture, which in a cob shouldn't be present anyhow, and generally obstruct airflow (imho).

Cobs taste... well, a little corny. Same as Jack Daniel does. It's all right.

6. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I tend to want to pour coke into my jack will I get the same sensation smoking a Cob? :crazysmile:

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

JD is nasty stuff :)

This cob isn't. And both smokes and tastes far better than the last one. If this is as bad as it gets, I can't wait for a few smokes from now when it tastes better

8. qwik

qwik Member

I had a cob attack, placed order with MM Direct-> Country Gentleman, Diplomat, Eaton and couple freehand bits. Marilyn said should have Monday :flowers: The simplest things makes me happy :eek:hyeah:

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If this gets better over the next few smokes I'll probably be an enthusiastic convert. The neighbors will surely laugh at me this summer as I have a cob in my gob while I push the mower :idiot:

10. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

The 0nly "problem" you might have is the shank protruding into the bowl...it can give a woody taste until it burns clear. I solve that by using the dremel to cut away the extra shank material. You can also use a sharp pocket knife...carefully.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The problem was yesterday's purchase...a really poorly made cob.

Yes, the stem protrudes into the bowl. I'll let it stay that way, I don't want to mess up the pipe trying to remove that part

12. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Good thinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.