Problem with Cigars International

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by holymolar, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holymolar

holymolar Member

I've ordered tobacco from Cigars International several times with no issues. But recently I placed an order for 20 packages of pipe cleaners and nothing else. The next day someone called and said that they couldn't verify my "name to my address". (The same address I've had for years). She asked me my age and I told her, 66 yrs old, and I gave her my birthdate. She then asked me to fax or email a copy of my ID. I told her that I wouldn't do that because that is the kind of thing that leads to people getting their ID's stolen. I told her to cancel my order for the pipe cleaners and that I wouldn't be ordering from her company again.

Have any of you had something similar happen to you? What do you think about it?

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I know last year JR Cigar's requested a copy of my driver's license for shipping tobacco to me, they said they had to have this on file to show the name and address they shipped to was of legal age to recieve tobacco products.

3. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I can understand them asking for ID confirmation if you are a new customer, or if their policy changes, but in either case it should be posted where you can find it or at least at/before checkout. And I don't see why it would be an issue at all for pipe cleaners.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Regardless of what is shipped, if it is shipped from a tobacco retailer it may be a requirement now, compliance and regulations seem to change all the time and can differ from state to state, carrier to carrier, etc.

5. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Well color me educated. :puffy:

6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I'd still be wary about giving out my personal documentation. Isn't the use of a credit card an indication that the buyer is 18?

I'm loathe to give out any of my personal documentation. My dad got his identity stolen and it's a gigantic pain in the ass.

7. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Not necessarily... A child could easily go into dads wallet or moms purse and use a credit card online. Or take it to the mall. Or worse, take it and lose it.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I had no qualms about giving JR Cigar's a copy of my license and have had no issues with identity theft, but I do check my credit report on a regular basis and also have alerts set up with all three credit bureaus.:beck:

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  9. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

I've never had that come up with cigarsinternational.com, but I did have Holt's Cigars say that they would not fulfill any more online orders unless they had a copy of my DL on file. Consequently, I've never done any more business with Holt's.

10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

This is also required by JR Cigar's, it's a compliance thing for shipping tobacco products and I think is has something to do with the USPS or UPS or both, for a tobacco retailer it's called CYA!

11. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Yeah, I understand what their reasoning is. I'm not certain it's a postal regulation, because not everyone adheres to it. I regularly do business with several online retailers that have never requested that.

If it's a corporate policy, then they have the right to require it, but then I also have the right to do business elsewhere. I get nervous enough putting my CC info out there, but then to have DL info on top of that...?!? I'll pass.

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

To each his own, you only limit yourself.

13. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Exactly - to each their own. I hardly feel limited though. My pipe/cigar/tobacco needs are fulfilled regularly. :D

jpberg likes this.
  14. bosun

bosun Active Member

The only tobacco internet retailer that I've done business who 'verified' my age was C & D. They asked me to give them a call. That way they could easily tell that I'm a 60 plus year old smoker (cough, cough, rasp, choke) instead of one of these boy band falsettos! (big grin)

Hawkwood likes this.
  15. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

I have done on-line with both JR and PC within the last month or so and had no request for ID? Maybe it is something they have to do randomly?

16. zwolanek

zwolanek Member

I don't have any problem with this request. Your drivers license is far from sacred and can easily be discovered. And if you stop to think about it, it is another method to ascertain your proper identity for your credit card billing, which is a protection for both you and the business.

As a probate attorney, I get this kind of thing all the time. One common item - one of the heirs will refuse to give the social security number for a life insurance claim form. I used to try to reason with them, but I found a more effective method. It goes like this:

"Ms. Johnson, I understand your reluctance, but you know I am your brother's lawyer and I'm assisting with collecting on Dad's life insurance. The company needs it for the 712."
    "Yes, but I'm really uncomfortable giving anyone my social security number. Even you."
    "Okay then. That's a disclaimer. I'll direct the company to pay your share to the others. Thank you." and then I hang up immediately.

You guessed, it. That phone rings before I can even set it down!

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  17. macthenife

macthenife Member

I've worked in the world of online retail. Now I'm not sure what the exact issue was for being contacted for additional documentation to confirm your identity but it could have something to do with fraud prevention. If you ordered online with them before using the same billing and shipping address, then there shouldn't be an issue but maybe the quantity you ordered threw up a red flag. Credit card fraud is at an all time high and they may need to do this to assure your account wasn't compromised. Requesting this information really upsets people sometimes but it is an unfortunate necessity sometimes. Just confirm you are indeed sending it to the correct party. Your previous order history should be considered if the company is dealing with the legitimate party they have done business with in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.