Problems with Telegraph or GL Pease?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by D-Pap, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

(Do I have a problem with them, not, do they have a problem)
    Bought a tin of GLP Telegraph because of the rave reviews of his product. However I found it to be extremely harsh on my throat. I've never had that experience from a tobacco before. The only way I can describe it is as if the smoke was cutting the back of my throat. Anyone else had an issue with this or other GLP blends? Don't know why my experience would be so different from most.

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

How many other VA blends have you smoked? I believe some can have a good bite if smoked at all hot. Try slowing way down, perhaps, even if it means more relights. And/or perhaps the rum doesn't agree with you?

D-Pap likes this.
  3. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Thanks Tony, straight Virginias and VaPers are what I normally smoke. Which is why I started the thread. I smoke a lot of navy flakes so I don't think it's the rum. Maybe I got it too hot trying to get it lit and that caused the chain reaction. I just thought it was weird that I didn't get bit but irritation in my throat. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this in any other GLP blends as well. I'll have to try again with a different pipe.

4. Tony Malerich

Very interesting then. The only GLP I've had thus far is Sextant so I don't have much to go by. I have heard that his English/Balkan blends are generally better than his VA blends, but as you said this one has got good reviews. If it keeps causing you trouble I'd be happy to trade it off you, though :D

D-Pap likes this.
  5. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

I'll give it another go and if I get the same results I'll just give it to you for the samples you sent me.

6. TheSmoker

TheSmoker Member

I don't think that Telegraph Hill has any rum in it. Its just Virginia and Perique.. or maybe I am wrong. Its been a while since I had some..

D-Pap likes this.
  7. Tony Malerich

You are quite right! I had the new Navigator in my mind for some reason... 'cause that sounds so much like Telegraph Hill >.>

Brit abroad and D-Pap like this.
  8. Johnny

Johnny Member

If it's a new tin, you may want to let it age for a bit. I know that C&D mixes the tobacco and ships it fresh. It may just be a bit too green for you.

Ol Brokedik and D-Pap like this.
  9. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

It was probably just a bad pack which caused me to huff it to get it and keep it lit. I'm smoking AnniKake as I type. I've had no issues with any VaPers. The reason I asked about it was because its the first and only GLP blend I've tried. I thought maybe there was something I wasn't handling with the way the GLP tobaccos are prepared.

10. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Hadn't thought about that. It was a fresh tin, and I smoked the day I received it.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Or perhaps it doesn't agree with you or you don't like it. It's not the smoothest tobacco that was ever made, and that isn't it's pedigree. It was designed for maximum VaPer flavor. I could definitely see where it may be too strong or harsh for someone. It's quite a bit more robust than AnniKake... which is neither good nor bad, just is.

D-Pap and Tony Malerich like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.