production from leaf to store shelf question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

How fast does a tobacco go from leaf to a tin and then to the store shelf? do some companys age the tobacco for a few months ?

could it be just a few days from leaf to the store and then home?

ol gto likes this.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Some tobacco's are aged years before being used in a blend. take McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2011 for instance. They state that the VA in it is from a 2007 crop that has been aging up to the production date which I would assume would have been early 2011. I've seen some blends mention VA's that have 20 years of aging/curing before processing.

3. David Emond

wow 20 years ? thats crazy, man i would love to go visite a place that produced pipe tobacco.

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I don't know how long it takes, but I suspect that some manufacturers use their leaf sooner than others. If I buy it from my B&M, it doesn't matter as many of the tins have already been "aging" for a year or two. I even bought a ten-year-old tin of Robert Lewis' Tree Mixture from them once. I know it was that old because I'd seen it on the shelf every time I went in there for the last ten years. It was a mercy purchase. Still very good, though.

Mark w4mms and ol gto like this.
  5. David Emond

yeah some tobaccos have a quick shelf life like Squadron leader or the frogs but some just arent popular and may stay at the store for a long time. Too bad most tins dont have a packing date

HCraven likes this.
  6. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I suspect MacBaren stockpiles their various types of raw leaf for years and mixes it for uniformity and consistency. Their blends taste exactly like they did 40 years ago.

7. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

The tobacco from field to to production varies widely, from tin to store shelf is as fast as they can ship it. I am aware of only one, the McClelland/PCCA mixtures that would age the tins before they would ship it. Dealers.shops do a pretty good job of shelf aging I got some 7 and 10 year old tins of GLP's Abingdon mixed in a mail order shipment last year.
    A bit off topic but if you haven't seen these videos from pipesm agazine.com will give you a pretty good idea what goes into pipe tobacco production. Look around you tube for other information. :confused:

http://pipesm agazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/cornell-diehl-good-ol-american-tobacco/
    http://pipesm agazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/mac-baren-tobacco-factory-tour/
    http://pipesm agazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/orlik-tobacco-company-video-tour-part-i/
    http://pipesm agazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/orlik-tobacco-company-video-tour-part-ii/
    sorry the paranoid filter has made this work. :shead: cut and paste the link then remove the space between m and a in pipesm agazine.com

8. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I was told by a NC commercial tobacco grower, that all tobacco was aged for a least 1 year... even cig. tobacco.. The longer it ages.. the better. Tobacco unaged and uncased, flavoring,etc:, is not very tasty........

David Emond and Mark w4mms like this.
  9. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Cool videos, thanks for sharing.

What are the spun coins in segment 2, Roll Cake?

10. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Totally awesome vids... thanks for posting the links!
    Im pretty sure those coins were PS LBF... She looked like she was rolling the main blend and then inserting a rod of the cavendish... VERY COOL!

11. David Emond

wow thank you very much for the links, these are so informative, im watching the macB`s factory tour at the moment.

12. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Awesome, I've always wondered about that. Thanx for the vids davinlax!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.