Progress So Far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbagump

I've got two separate "crops" going. One I started on 3/20 in foam cups...and a second that I started in a 72 pod seed starting tray on 3/26. This morning was the first sign of life. The plants in the cups are right on time (the estimate was ~13 days)...the ones in the tray are a few days early.

I've got Kentucky #5, Virginia Gold, and Golden Burley going. I counted about ~8-10 shoots this morning when I left for work. When I came home...there was about 20.:)

I'm blown away that you're growing your own tobacco, that is so cool. I guess living up north it never occurred to me that it would be feasable, when I think of tbacco I think of those huge plants that are planted row on row.

Can't wait to read more on this adventure.

bubbagump

I'm blown away that you're growing your own tobacco, that is so cool. I guess living up north it never occurred to me that it would be feasable, when I think of tbacco I think of those huge plants that are planted row on row.

Can't wait to read more on this adventure.
I know there's at least one forum member up in Canada growing his own.

As for the planting...I'm going to do a row behind the house (I have a raised bed around my deck...should be good for five or so plants), a row on the side of my house (good for maybe eight plants), and I'll get a few five gallon buckets and try a few in those. I may even try spray painting some buckets to match my front porch and put a few out there and some next to it (on the driveway). I'm thinking 20-30 plants at the moment.

I know there's at least one forum member up in Canada growing his own.

As for the planting...I'm going to do a row behind the house (I have a raised bed around my deck...should be good for five or so plants), a row on the side of my house (good for maybe eight plants), and I'll get a few five gallon buckets and try a few in those.

I may even try spray painting some buckets to match my front porch and put a few out there and some next to it (on the driveway). I'm thinking 20-30 plants at the moment.
Interesting! I'm amazed it survies here, when we grow grapes up here only certain varietals will thrive, usually white, hearty rapes. I wonder if it's the same form tobacco varieties.

bubbagump

Interesting! I'm amazed it survies here, when we grow grapes up here only certain varietals will thrive, usually white, hearty rapes. I wonder if it's the same form tobacco varieties.
I'm not sure. Provided you start them up in a heated/indoor location with plenty of natural light...I would think they'd get off to a good start. I guess the key would be waiting as long as possible (i.e. into the summer) to put them in the ground.

Summit

Live Simply.
bubbagump said:
I'm not sure. Provided you start them up in a heated/indoor location with plenty of natural light...I would think they'd get off to a good start. I guess the key would be waiting as long as possible (i.e. into the summer) to put them in the ground.
Once the threat of frost is gone you can get em in the ground. You will have to harden them. Get them used to natural unfiltered sun light a little at a time. We usually plant veggies around Mother's Day after several days of hardening.

bubbagump

Once the threat of frost is gone you can get em in the ground. You will have to harden them. Get them used to natural unfiltered sun light a little at a time. We usually plant veggies around Mother's Day after several days of hardening.
I'm going to work on getting them outside here and there. I managed to do it a couple days ago when it was nice out. I had yesterday off, but it was too cold to get the plants outside (at least it seemed too cold).

bubbagump

I decided to conduct a little experiment. The seeds in the tray sprouted up quite a bit faster than the ones in the cup. One variable that is at play is the soil. I got Miracle Grow potting (not flower & vegetable).

A couple things I'm curious about. Will the heat generated from the glass sitting in the sun make a difference? Will taking those faster growing shoots from the pods and putting them into the other soil have an impact on their growth? Yeah...I was bored after dinner...so this is what I ended up with.:xd:

From this (Day 12 for these sprouts) to the glasses. If you decide to tinker with them at this stage...be delicate about it. It doesn't take much pressure to get them seated. There were no immediate casualties.

I'm going to give them the window seat.

bubbagump

I would recommend these. You can start your seeds in them and then plant the whole thing in the ground. We usually put them in a plastic tray. You don't have to mess with getting the plant out of the cups.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202250740?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=seed starter&storeId=10051&N=25ecodZ5yc1v&R=202250740#.UV4VkXDtrjA
I'll have to keep my eye open for those. I'd like to use something like that as my next step up once i remove the rest of the plants from the tray.

bubbagump

Remember I know nothing,have you any drainage in the glasses ?
and at the moment mine are on a North facing window sill and not in direct Sun
I do not. I was sure to not over water them though. That's the one concern that I have with the glasses...drowning and killing them. What I should do (when I get the time) is get a big bag of those plastic shot glasses (disposable type), poke holes in the bottom, and seat them in a tray to drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.