Progress So Far...

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by bubbagump, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I've got two separate "crops" going. One I started on 3/20 in foam cups...and a second that I started in a 72 pod seed starting tray on 3/26. This morning was the first sign of life. The plants in the cups are right on time (the estimate was ~13 days)...the ones in the tray are a few days early.

I've got Kentucky #5, Virginia Gold, and Golden Burley going. I counted about ~8-10 shoots this morning when I left for work. When I came home...there was about 20.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Calidadd, Orson, Mr Blandings and 7 others like this.

2. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

3. bubbagump

I had a couple burley shoots pop up yesterday, in addition to more Virginia and Kentucky. North of 30 shoots at the moment.

Ksummers99, Moose and Summit like this.
  4. bosun

bosun Active Member

It's like watching your wife getting fat when you're waiting for the first isn't it?

Jonesy and Moose like this.
  5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Keep us posted on the progress.:popc:

bubbagump likes this.
  6. bubbagump

I'm a bachelor, so I guess my equivalent would be my motorcycle getting fat (new bags added).:xd:

Will do. There's already a noticeable difference between the shoots that popped up yesterday and the ones from a couple days ago.

Old Codger likes this.
  7. inkybat

inkybat Member

I'm blown away that you're growing your own tobacco, that is so cool. I guess living up north it never occurred to me that it would be feasable, when I think of tbacco I think of those huge plants that are planted row on row.

Can't wait to read more on this adventure.

Ksummers99 likes this.
  8. bubbagump

I know there's at least one forum member up in Canada growing his own.

As for the planting...I'm going to do a row behind the house (I have a raised bed around my deck...should be good for five or so plants), a row on the side of my house (good for maybe eight plants), and I'll get a few five gallon buckets and try a few in those. I may even try spray painting some buckets to match my front porch and put a few out there and some next to it (on the driveway). I'm thinking 20-30 plants at the moment.

Ksummers99, Old Codger and inkybat like this.
  9. inkybat

inkybat Member

Interesting! I'm amazed it survies here, when we grow grapes up here only certain varietals will thrive, usually white, hearty rapes. I wonder if it's the same form tobacco varieties.

Ksummers99 likes this.
  10. bubbagump

I'm not sure. Provided you start them up in a heated/indoor location with plenty of natural light...I would think they'd get off to a good start. I guess the key would be waiting as long as possible (i.e. into the summer) to put them in the ground.

inkybat likes this.
  11. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Once the threat of frost is gone you can get em in the ground. You will have to harden them. Get them used to natural unfiltered sun light a little at a time. We usually plant veggies around Mother's Day after several days of hardening.

Ksummers99 likes this.
  12. bubbagump

I'm going to work on getting them outside here and there. I managed to do it a couple days ago when it was nice out. I had yesterday off, but it was too cold to get the plants outside (at least it seemed too cold).

13. bubbagump

I decided to conduct a little experiment. The seeds in the tray sprouted up quite a bit faster than the ones in the cup. One variable that is at play is the soil. I got Miracle Grow potting (not flower & vegetable).

A couple things I'm curious about. Will the heat generated from the glass sitting in the sun make a difference? Will taking those faster growing shoots from the pods and putting them into the other soil have an impact on their growth? Yeah...I was bored after dinner...so this is what I ended up with.:xd:

From this (Day 12 for these sprouts) to the glasses. If you decide to tinker with them at this stage...be delicate about it. It doesn't take much pressure to get them seated. There were no immediate casualties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to give them the window seat.

[​IMG]

Old Codger likes this.
  14. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Ksummers99 and bubbagump like this.
  15. Moose

Moose Active Member

This intrigues me bubba. I have never thought to grow my own, so to speak. Please keep us updated on your progress.

bubbagump likes this.
  16. bubbagump

I'll have to keep my eye open for those. I'd like to use something like that as my next step up once i remove the rest of the plants from the tray.

17. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

Remember I know nothing,have you any drainage in the glasses ?
    and at the moment mine are on a North facing window sill and not in direct Sun
    [​IMG]
    any one any comments
    [​IMG]

18. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

That's the coolest thing I have ever seen! I gotta follow this thread!

Ksummers99 likes this.
  19. bubbagump

I do not. I was sure to not over water them though. That's the one concern that I have with the glasses...drowning and killing them. What I should do (when I get the time) is get a big bag of those plastic shot glasses (disposable type), poke holes in the bottom, and seat them in a tray to drain.

Ksummers99 and Summit like this.
  20. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Where does one get tobacco seeds?

dwaugh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.