Progress So Far...

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by bubbagump, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamison

Jamison Member

That looks great.

bubbagump likes this.

2. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Here's my Friday afternoon update. I can't get over how quickly they're drying out. They're getting pretty...smelly...too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

bubbagump, what variety of tobacco is
    this ? the leaves look good.

bubbagump likes this.
  4. bubbagump

Just curious...does anyone have input on if I NEED to do anything different with these...or am I ok leaving them as they are? They seem to be drying out fine where the are.

I think they're Virginia Gold. I had an issue early on with my planting tray (I planted Kentucky #5, VA Gold, and Golden Burley in the same tray). I accidentally rotated the tray without keeping track of which pods were which.:oops: As a result I ended up with a slew of ? plants. It just so happens that those were the ones that made it.

As a result, If this stuff were to be great to smoke, I'd have no way of knowing which seeds I need to re-order for next year.:( It has been a good learning experience though.

dBear and Jeebs like this.
  5. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

my 2 cents worth..leavin hangin 6 - 8 weeks

bubbagump likes this.
  6. bubbagump

Thank you.:toast: I just saw your thread. It's obvious that you have a better grasp on this than I do.:D

Jeebs likes this.
  7. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

yours loook great..how long they been hangin..bout a week. just dont let them get wet while curing 6-8 weeks total cure time

bubbagump likes this.
  8. Moose

Moose Active Member

Thanks for the update bubba. The leaves are looking great.
    Yourz, Wicker Man's and Jeebs' threads have motivated me to try this myself next spring. Keep us posted.

bubbagump and Jeebs like this.
  9. bubbagump

They've been up just over a week now (hung them up Tuesday the 27th).

Here's the just over a week update. The harsh smell is gone. My $.02...it's starting to smell like...well...tobacco. Several of the pieces are pretty well dried out already (feel like parchment paper to the touch).
    [​IMG]

dBear and Jeebs like this.
  10. bubbagump

Another update. I know that it hasn't been long, but how do I know when it's time to chop them up? Most of them are so dry and brittle at this point that bending a leaf will tear a piece off.
    [​IMG]

I hosed each leaf off individually and somehow this little turd slipped through the cracks.
    [​IMG]

He apparently did a LOT of chomping over the last week.
    [​IMG]

11. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

cutworms wil destroy it. i've seen them get 6" long and fat from eating tobacco leaves.

bubbagump and dBear like this.
  12. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

hornworms is what i ment to say, mot cutworms

13. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

put some moonshine in spray bottle and spay leaves. hornworm will get drunk and leave and head back underground.looking for other hornworm to eat or jus kick their a..

el guero, WalkinStick and bubbagump like this.
  14. bubbagump

It seemed to be that one line of leaves impacted. What should I be looking for (before it gets that big and noticeable)?

How much longer do you think I should leave the leaves up? I was concerned about how brittle some of them seem to be.

15. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

hornworms start out at 1/2" that is what you are looking for. If you have one you see, you have more. they only attack green or moist uncured leaves. britle, britle leaves are what you want. look for worms on your most unbrittle leaves. once all leaves are brittle brittle, the worms will leave. i sprayy plants in field before pickin, so i dont have worm problem. because they will desttou

bubbagump and dBear like this.
  16. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

i will pm u and tell you how you can get rid of all of them in about 5 minutes. it.s a Jeebs secret remedy. my texting and driving aint workin wrel

dBear and bubbagump like this.
  17. bubbagump

That explains it then. Those two leaves that were chewed up were the only two that had much moisture left. The others...I think...are about as dry as they're going to get. My concern is that if they get much dryer...they're just going to crumble up when I go to cut them.

18. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

nooo dont crumnle thrm, jud holf tight. I've got this big rig rollin down the interstate at abouy 85, my fingers keep boincing off the keys..i grt back to you when i deide yo sloe downn

19. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

bubbagump, the crispier your leaves get, the better they are curing, uncured tobacco is unsmokeable. just let them hang, and when it is time, you make leaves pliable again. I use the humidty where I live, but if you have no humidity, mist with distilled water until leaves are pliable, soft, flexiable, then you can do whatever you want, destem etc: I box most of mine up whole. I make them pliable, flatten them back out and stack in cardboad box and seal with shippi.g tape. when I want to get some leaves out to work with, I hang them out overnite and next morning they are pliable to destem, roll up in a ball, tie them in a knote, or even make a sanwich with them..jus kidding about sanwich. in old day tobacco farmers would bring their cured crispy leaves out of the barn when it was gonna rain to make pliable, so they could work with it. The leave the hornworms ate, I would discard them because not much left, but if you want to get hornworms off of it anyway, pm me and I'll give you secret remedy to rid them. I hope this helps, but remember, this is just my opio

dBear, Albert and bubbagump like this.
  20. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Here is what I was trying to explain, these leaves were cured, dry & brittle,crispy. I sat them out overnite, and with nite dew, now leaves are pliable.
    [​IMG]
    http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/jeebs1/2013-09-
    17080042.jpg
    [​IMG]

bubbagump and WalkinStick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.