Progress So Far...

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by bubbagump, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Ok...that's pretty cool.

Jeebs likes this.

2. bubbagump

Shortly after I cut the tobacco plants...they started growing...again, lol.

Yes...this picture is from today...not a few months ago.
    [​IMG]

3. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Mother Nature is such a tease.

bubbagump likes this.
  4. bubbagump

Looks like they're at about six weeks at the moment. I'll have to take some more pictures (they don't appear to have changed much).

5. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

yea, they want grow very much,,those are simliar to the sucker leaves, the ones that you pinched off of the main,plant, that grows out if stalk were the main leaves grow. sucker leaves, if not pinched out, will keep main leaves from reaching potential size.

dBear and bubbagump like this.
  6. bubbagump

Oh, no. I was talking about the stuff that I've got hung up. To me...it looks like it's about as dried out as it's going to get.

Those plants out back are still growing though. Hell...the leaves are already as big as some of the ones that I hung up. I may just got ahead and cut those too (that'll give me a second round of leaves).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

gotta, i misunderstood...sorry

bubbagump likes this.
  8. bubbagump

Crappy picture (it's been raining all day and I'm home sick from work), but here's round two coming along, lol.

[​IMG]

9. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

just what you need :rolleyes: now

10. bubbagump

Ok...I cut down tobacco plants v 2.0 today.

Frankenplants.
    [​IMG]

Hung up.
    [​IMG]

The original batch still hanging out.
    [​IMG]

11. bubbagump

Thoughts on what to do with this stuff (it's just hanging out still). Re-hydrate and chop it up?

12. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

if it's sill in case ie. if it doesn't break into bits when you straighten a leaf out (if it does re-hydrate) fold in half along main rib hold this between finger and thumb in one hand and hold close to with the other hand finger and thumb move down pulling the main rib out, watch it doesn't tear at the small rib joints the small ribs can stay in, then cut the leaf into fine strands with scissors, you can smoke it like this or spray it with something sweet and sticky like Maple syrup and Honey mixed with a little water and press it into a block, just leaving a heavy weight on will do, leave a couple of days and Bob's your Mother's Brother :toast:

13. bubbagump

Thank you. I was hoping you'd share some words of wisdom. :toast: I've got a spray bottle. I was tempted to try doing this with whiskey...instead of water. I like your honey and maple syrup idea though.

Ksummers99 likes this.
  14. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

:th1:Whiskey's fine, I just added Maple syrup etc as something sticky. I used a little Black Treacle as well

dBear and bubbagump like this.
  15. bubbagump

I was looking at pasta cutters online today (some people seem to use them for tobacco cutting). It occurred to me that I have a meat grinder out in the garage (never got around to using it). It has a few different plates, but it looks identical to the pasta cutters that I see online (some are even labeled as "meat/pasta maker").

The one i've got is this style, but it's OLD and solid metal. Do you think this would be worth giving a try?
    http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Grinde...8&qid=1383077587&sr=1-9&keywords=pasta+cutter

16. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

In a word No ! and No ! to the Pasta cutter as well as soon as I started to put biger stalks through it stripped the star wheel drive cog teeth that and the fact you've to do 2 or 3 passes through it's quicker to just do 1 cut with kitchen herb scisors. Though you don't have to shred it you can Block the whole leaf as you're going to cut it into slices to Flake it anyway, it's just I've got lots of time and a Bear to do all the work :toast:

Moose, just5042, Ksummers99 and 2 others like this.
  17. hoss

hoss Member

Cool thread. I've got some seeds of various types stashed away and plan on giving this a whirl maybe next spring as well. Thanks for posting the pics. Fun stuff!

bubbagump and Calidadd like this.
  18. bubbagump

Ok...I went ahead and rehydrated a few of the leaves with apple pie moonshine so that I could yank the ribs. It seemed to work fine.

The tobacco could use some more moisture though, so I wet a paper towel and sealed it inside the container with some tin foil. I'll check on it again tomorrow.

I think I'm going to use the liquor idea again and press it into a cake at some point. I just haven't gotten there yet.

[​IMG]

Getting going on the cutting (I used scissors).
    [​IMG]

Here's what I ended up with today. This was about 1/2 of my leaves.

[​IMG]

I think there's enough moisture to go around, once I seal it up.

It has a nice/ light apple cinnamon hint to it. If I like this batch, I'll have to go get another bottle of moonshine to do the rest of the leaves.

That stuff is plenty sticky enough too. If I go the pressing route...I don't know if I'd actually need to add anything else as a binder.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  19. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

20. GatorWrestler

GatorWrestler Member

What ever came from this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.