Progress So Far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbagump

Looks like they're at about six weeks at the moment. I'll have to take some more pictures (they don't appear to have changed much).

Jeebs

Looks like they're at about six weeks at the moment. I'll have to take some more pictures (they don't appear to have changed much).
yea, they want grow very much,,those are simliar to the sucker leaves, the ones that you pinched off of the main,plant, that grows out if stalk were the main leaves grow. sucker leaves, if not pinched out, will keep main leaves from reaching potential size.

bubbagump

yea, they want grow very much,,those are simliar to the sucker leaves, the ones that you pinched off of the main,plant, that grows out if stalk were the main leaves grow. sucker leaves, if not pinched out, will keep main leaves from reaching potential size.
Oh, no. I was talking about the stuff that I've got hung up. To me...it looks like it's about as dried out as it's going to get.

Those plants out back are still growing though. Hell...the leaves are already as big as some of the ones that I hung up. I may just got ahead and cut those too (that'll give me a second round of leaves).

Last edited:
Thoughts on what to do with this stuff (it's just hanging out still). Re-hydrate and chop it up?
if it's sill in case ie. if it doesn't break into bits when you straighten a leaf out (if it does re-hydrate) fold in half along main rib hold this between finger and thumb in one hand and hold close to with the other hand finger and thumb move down pulling the main rib out, watch it doesn't tear at the small rib joints the small ribs can stay in, then cut the leaf into fine strands with scissors, you can smoke it like this or spray it with something sweet and sticky like Maple syrup and Honey mixed with a little water and press it into a block, just leaving a heavy weight on will do, leave a couple of days and Bob's your Mother's Brother :toast:

bubbagump

if it's sill in case ie. if it doesn't break into bits when you straighten a leaf out (if it does re-hydrate) fold in half along main rib hold this between finger and thumb in one hand and hold close to with the other hand finger and thumb move down pulling the main rib out, watch it doesn't tear at the small rib joints the small ribs can stay in, then cut the leaf into fine strands with scissors, you can smoke it like this or spray it with something sweet and sticky like Maple syrup and Honey mixed with a little water and press it into a block, just leaving a heavy weight on will do, leave a couple of days and Bob's your Mother's Brother :toast:
Thank you. I was hoping you'd share some words of wisdom. :toast: I've got a spray bottle. I was tempted to try doing this with whiskey...instead of water. I like your honey and maple syrup idea though.

bubbagump

:th1:Whiskey's fine, I just added Maple syrup etc as something sticky. I used a little Black Treacle as well
I was looking at pasta cutters online today (some people seem to use them for tobacco cutting). It occurred to me that I have a meat grinder out in the garage (never got around to using it). It has a few different plates, but it looks identical to the pasta cutters that I see online (some are even labeled as "meat/pasta maker").

The one i've got is this style, but it's OLD and solid metal. Do you think this would be worth giving a try?
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Grinde...8&qid=1383077587&sr=1-9&keywords=pasta+cutter

I was looking at pasta cutters online today (some people seem to use them for tobacco cutting). It occurred to me that I have a meat grinder out in the garage (never got around to using it). It has a few different plates, but it looks identical to the pasta cutters that I see online (some are even labeled as "meat/pasta maker").

The one i've got is this style, but it's OLD and solid metal. Do you think this would be worth giving a try?
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Grinder-Mincer-Pasta-Maker/dp/B0002I5QHW/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1383077587&sr=1-9&keywords=pasta cutter
In a word No ! and No ! to the Pasta cutter as well as soon as I started to put biger stalks through it stripped the star wheel drive cog teeth that and the fact you've to do 2 or 3 passes through it's quicker to just do 1 cut with kitchen herb scisors. Though you don't have to shred it you can Block the whole leaf as you're going to cut it into slices to Flake it anyway, it's just I've got lots of time and a Bear to do all the work :toast:

bubbagump

Ok...I went ahead and rehydrated a few of the leaves with apple pie moonshine so that I could yank the ribs. It seemed to work fine.

The tobacco could use some more moisture though, so I wet a paper towel and sealed it inside the container with some tin foil. I'll check on it again tomorrow.

I think I'm going to use the liquor idea again and press it into a cake at some point. I just haven't gotten there yet.

Getting going on the cutting (I used scissors).

Here's what I ended up with today. This was about 1/2 of my leaves.

I think there's enough moisture to go around, once I seal it up.

It has a nice/ light apple cinnamon hint to it. If I like this batch, I'll have to go get another bottle of moonshine to do the rest of the leaves.

That stuff is plenty sticky enough too. If I go the pressing route...I don't know if I'd actually need to add anything else as a binder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.