Proper drying time, a re-introduction (thank you psf)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WrightwoodJohn, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

I recently did some further research on proper drying time & technique, most of which was read on psf. And found out I wasn't taking enough time to prepare/dry my tobacco. Most of your responses on the subject ranged from 15 to 20 mins, or letting the freshly opened tin sit out overnight, to drying on top of a lamp....all depending on type of tobacco and personal preferance. The 2 tobaccos I was working with were EMP & Peterson's Gold Blend. Both of these benefitted from extra drying time than I was previously giving them. Surprising with the Gold Blend not only did some of spice & fruit flavors become stonger but the nutty flavors I enjoy with English tabacs were present. Both burned cooler with less re-lights. just a great re-introduction with thanks to your responses on the subject. So newbies take note; do not underestimate the importance of properly drying your tobacco, not too much & not too little, finding the balance is paramount. Can't thank psf enough for my pipe smoking education, and it's just been an interesting & truly enjoyable experiance.

MakDragon and Ted Vig like this.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Glad it's working out for you. It is amazing how much better most, if not all blends smoke with a little drying time.

Ted Vig likes this.
  3. Gary

Gary Member

So, uh, drying with my zippo doesn't count?

4. furious

furious Junque collector

Proper drying time is crucial for having an optimal smoking experience. Sometimes I am too damn impatient and smoke away--much to my regret later on (esp. with FVF and other moist flakes). I have learned that and so much more on this forum!! Great place to exchange ideas, and there is always something new to learn.

Ted Vig, Gary and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Agreed.
    I would have given up (again) if it weren't for the great advice on this forum. The drying time advice, for instance, took the gurgle right out of most of my smokes.

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I mentioned elsewhere in other posts, the first time I tried CH, I couldnt figure out what all the hullabaloo was about (like that word?) But after the opened pouch of CH sat in my car for about a month, I rediscovered how awesome it is!!! In fact I have now bought a few pouches and plan on drying well before smoking.

shadow likes this.
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The thing is that drying tobacco seems so counter-intuitive. One would think that dry = stale and stale tobacco would burn like a torch. Yet we've all tried smoking wet tobacco, to our own peril. Glad this site is helpful and happy to hear your smoking experiences are improving!

shadow likes this.
  8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Factory moisture is OK for the time it takes to get the stuff from the maker to the distributor to the shop....and then to the smoker.
    But then it's time to dry it to the desired level as it's been said by all those great people on here!!!!:byg:

Mark w4mms and MakDragon like this.
  9. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Well said!

shadow and Mark w4mms like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.