Proper lighting Technique

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Tumbleweed, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

Can I light the tobacco too much? I tend to really put the fire to it, thinking the hotter I light it the longer it will go before it goes out. I'm sure that's stinkin' thinkin'.
    I notice when I do this on a re-light, the taste is especially harsh.
    So, what's the right way? Thx, Gene

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I favor lighting just enough to get it going, then lightly tamp. I think they call this a charring light. Then I relight. Like most things related to pipe smoking, less is more. You don't want to incinerate the tobacco.

An exception to the less is more rule: The number of pipes in your rotation.

TedVig and BradNTX like this.
  3. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

Im not much for an old timer but i use matches and i pass them front to back till i see and even light this is after my char pack relight and that is about the only lighting i have to do after the first one

BradNTX likes this.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Lighting your bowl evenly is the most important technique to get down. Instead of thinking about hot, think about even. When you do the initial char, circle the flame until you get most of the top going, instead of just a patch or two. Puff gently, then tamp it flat. Repeat, but this time, when you circle the flame, the entire top should light up. If it swells, tamp while puffing gently. If you have to char 2 or 3 times, that OK.

Have a cherry burning that is thin and even aids flavor much more than super hot down the center or a side, with unburnt tobacco.

N3M0 and Mister Moo like this.
  5. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

Thanks guys. I will pay more attention to an even, cherry light. Although I can't see inside the bowl while I am lighting. I have a MM straight stem corn cob. Guess I could pull it out of my mouth and blow gently into the bowl to see how the glow looks.

6. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

Yep. That worked. I got an eyeball on it. :)

BradNTX likes this.
  7. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I use a straight stem to what i do is slightly tilt it up and angle it to my right im a lefty clencher and with that angle you can see all but the very back of the bowl

8. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I use a chromed Zippo lighter, which makes for a nice mirror to check the burn when you cannot see directly into bowl.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  9. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

i often do three or four lights to get a nicely filled pipe to char and burn evenly.. The possibility of getting a different taste caused by over-lighting is great..

BradNTX likes this.
  10. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

As with everything except your pipe collection (tips hat to dgErwin), when it comes to pipes less is more. Just like to add my only little relighting tip; when I tamp I very gently draw on the pipe, seems to help.

TedVig likes this.
  11. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

i tamp with a draw too.. Except when i feel the bowl getting hot, then i tamp without drawing..

12. Splat

Splat Member

IMO you can definitely over-light the bacco in a pipe. I try to keep the flame from just touching the bacco because what I want is the heat to get the bacco going, not the flame. I find it definitely has a positive effect on the overall taste, especially the first few puffs.

13. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

This is exactly what I do. Instead of taking the flame real deep into the bowl, concentrate on getting a nice, thin, char crust if you will across the whole top. Once you have your desired char crust (usually 2 or 3 char lights for me), light it up and keep the crust/cherry disc, if you will, in contact with the toby and you're good to go.

BradNTX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.