Proper tobacco storage question

I've been storing my tobacco in the glass mason jars but I'm finding that the tobacco still gets a little dried out and doesn't taste the same. I've washed all the glass mason jars before putting tobacco in them. right now I am only buying tobacco by the 1.75 Oz tin. And when I fill the mason jars it fills them right to the top so I'm wondering if I need to buy the bigger mason jars or is it okay to leave no room and stuff the smaller mason jars

Is it ok to just leave your tobacco in the tin it comes in? Seems like a tight fitting lid
Sure you can, but how long is it going to stay there? If you're going to smoke it up reasonably quickly then go for it, otherwise the jar is definitely sealing tighter than an open tin, depending, of course, on the condition of the jar rim and the seal on the cap.

If you are not sealing the mason jars with heat, as a canner would, you are not deriving any benefit from the plastic sealing layer in the two-part lid.. It's meant to flow easily under heat, then seal rapidly when heat is withdrawn, with a mild vacuum underneath.

If you want something you can just clean, fill, and shut, you may wish to look into the "Rocco" series bail-top jars. They're meant for canning, but with a simple gasket, instead of a vacuum seal.

Unfortunately, "Rocco" jars are very expensive via mail order. The only affordable way to buy them is in-person -- Wal-Mart and The Container Store typically carry Bormioli "Rocco." (Although Wal-Mart's selection can be pretty terrible)

davidbeinct

Patron
I've had no issue at all with drying and I don't heat seal my jars...sounds to me like you just got a bad lot of lids...I do find that using the man hands to tighten the jar lid down is necessary to ensure a good seal however
Totally agree. Sorry @tbone but those two part lids seal up quite well with just good old elbow grease. You’re not vacuum packing the tobacco true, but they really take some effort to get off later. I’ve opened multiple blends from a couple years jarred to over a decade and no issues. OP, how tight are you getting the tops?

Totally agree. Sorry @tbone but those two part lids seal up quite well with just good old elbow grease. You’re not vacuum packing the tobacco true, but they really take some effort to get off later. I’ve opened multiple blends from a couple years jarred to over a decade and no issues. OP, how tight are you getting the tops?
Lol, there are times where it is all I can do to get the actual lid to come off after I remove the screw down portion, even gives a little miniature rush of air as though it was heat sealed, I dipped into my jar of Orlik DSK just the other day and it had been sitting for around a year...took more effort opening than it ever did sealing lol

davidbeinct

Patron
Lol, there are times where it is all I can do to get the actual lid to come off after I remove the screw down portion, even gives a little miniature rush of air as though it was heat sealed, I dipped into my jar of Orlik DSK just the other day and it had been sitting for around a year...took more effort opening than it ever did sealing lol
Yes, this mirrors my experience.