PS Navy Flakes Vs. SG Navy Flakes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Coffee-Cup, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

Hey Guys

I just tried PS Luxury Navy Flakes and I thought that it was so flavorful and delightful and I was thinking about what is your opinion of SG Navy Flakes tobacco? At this time the SG product seems to be unavailable but may be coming in November but I would like those of you who have used this tobacco to let me know how you would compare it to the PS brand. :dunno:

2. Johnny

Johnny Member

Well, the PS Navy Flake is VA/Perique and the SG Navy Flake has Latakia in it. They would be quite different. I haven't tried the SG but I like the PS a lot. A Samuel Gawith blend that would be somewhat similar is St. James Flake. They don't taste the same but SJF is a VA/Perique blend and is quite enjoyable

3. Johnny

Johnny Member

Also, if you haven't tried PS Luxury Bullseye Flake... give that one a try. It's a great blend

4. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

John! You are right about the PS Luxury Bullseye Flake; I just got two ounces and it is a great smoke. I can see the correctness of the fact that these were definitely two different type of tobaccos. I am still in the fog about what constitutes "Navy Flake"; unless it is the way it was cut or prepared. :dunno:

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Like a lot of things about the pipe and tobacco, "navy" flake is a little vague. I believe most would agree navy flake means a dominant virginia flake tobacco plus a rum topping. There are navy flakes with obvious rum, not so obvious rum, no rum, burley, cavendish and (in aforementioned SG Navy Flake) even latakia.

By the way, SG Navy Flake is a novel and excellent flake tobacco in my book. The latakia is present, but just barely. They say it has rum but if it does it's just barely present, less so than the latakia. It smokes with a full but gentle virginia twang. Lovely stuff. If you take out the latakia and pop the virginia up a notch with a hint of perique there's your Stokkebye Navy Flake - not exactly kissing cousins. They are both full flavored and easy to enjoy, however. SGNF is a great intro to latakia.

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

SG Navy Flake:
    A traditional offering of Virginias, pressed with just the right amount of Latakia and flavored with Rum. (no Perique)

PS Luxury Navy Flake:
    Very mature Old Belt flue-cured Virginia's spiced with Louisiana Perique. (no Latakia, no rum)

McBaren Navy Flake:
    A mild flake blended from the finest Burley tobaccos with added ripe Virginias and Cavendish. (Burley? Cavendish?)

W.O. Larson Navy Flake:
    A superb blend of golden Virginia tobaccos spiced with Louisiana Perique. Pressed in cakes and aged before it's cut into delicate slices. To this medium strength flake is added Rum to enhance the round and natural tobacco taste. (Kinda like PS with Rum....)

McClelland Dark Navy Flake:
    This is unique in that it begins as a very light blend of fine Eastern Belt Lemon leaf and cutter grade Virginia tobaccos which are transformed through pressure, aging and light stoving into beautiful dark pungent cake. (Straight VA.....Hmmmmm)

Kinda hard to "define" Navy Flake, huh? Blending is all over the place, with more ingredients than Mrs. Murphy's Sunday stew! About the only constant is Virginia tobacco...after that, all bets are off.....

7. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

Thanks Mister Moo and T-bear, I can see that "Navy Flake" wanders in a circle with virginia tobacco being somewhere in there. When SG Navy Flake becomes available I will definitely order some; I have been enjoying some flavorful tobaccos and I will be exploring more. :yes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.