Quart Mason jars for cellaring??

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by StubrnDutchman, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I made it half way thru the Let's see your cellar thread and my head is spinning seeing all that goodness. One thing that puzzles me is what you folks do after breaking the seal on the larger jars? If you just keep drawing from the jar, how do you keep it from going stale before the entire jar is finished?

I have several pounds jarred, but mostly in pint wide mouth jars. Once opened I usually transfer the contents to a decorative jar with a much wider mouth.

PipeSimmo likes this.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If you have a big jar full and you smoke out of it a while and it seems to have to much space ... you can either break it down to smaller jars or toss in a Hundifier device untill it's down further . A full big jar looks really sexy !

PipeSimmo likes this.
  3. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

Yes, but a bunch of full pint jars looks pretty sexy too! Besides, a dozen pint jars is more that six quarts because twelve is MORE than six! :D

ruffinogold likes this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

LOL .... I hear that :th1: To me , the big jars are like the old Pinup chicks from back in the day ... curvy and awe inspiring !

5. Goat

Goat Active Member

Currently the largest jars I use for long term storage are the wide mouth 1 pint jars just because when I finally get around to cracking one open I wont have that much to transfer to another jar. But, that does make for a lot of jars so maybe I'll start looking at quart sized.

My smoking cellar consists of tall half pint jars for flakes, wide mouth half pint for rubbed and 4oz jars for samples and also for transferring stuff when the other jars start to get low.

PipeSimmo and StubrnDutchman like this.
  6. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

I have those quart jars and I haven't noticed them drying out because I dip into them. I also put the lid back on the jar as soon as I grab enough tobby.

But like Ruff I think they are F'n curvy and inspiring :thu:

7. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I store in a big jar then, theoretically, when I get to smoking it I'll break it down into smaller jars.

Splat and PipeSimmo like this.
  8. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I like the pint size regular mouth jars simply because they were free. :D to me I rather break open a smaller jar then a bigger one, less tobacco is exposed to outside air after sitting there for so long. That and if one or two jar go bad lot less spoiled tobacco to deal with.

Gunslinger,

StubrnDutchman likes this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I use a combination of quart, pint, and half pint jars. If I'm going to cellar a blend for aging, I fill a quart size mason with 8 ozs of tobacco, seal it and leave it be. I use the smaller jars (pint size) for 4 oz tins, and I find 50 gr or 2 oz tins fit perfectly in half-pint jars. The pint and half-pint jars are used to accommodate blends or tobaccos I smoke regularly.

10. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

How do you deal with the quart size once they have been opened? Leave it or transfer to smaller jars? Doesn't that re initiate an aging process all over again and possibly further change the tobacco or is that part of your objective?

11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

The quart size jars are generally ones I pack tight with blends I've bought in bulk. So for instance if I buy a pound of a certain blend, I'll pack as much as possible into quart jars and I'll usually, depending on the cut of the tobacco (flake, shag, etc) have about 2-3 ounces left over for smaller jars for smoking. When those smaller jars are depleted, I'll buy more of that blend to either smoke or cellar. Like now, I have 5 quart jars packed well with Penzance; and about two ounces for smoking in a half-pint jar. When the smoking tobacco is depleted, I'll either buy more to replace it or break down a larger (quart-size) jar into smaller jars, but no more than two. So if I were to break down a quart jar of Penzance (or whatever) I'd then use a pint size to seal, and two half-pint jars for smoking.

I think I place more emphasis on trying not to open my Va's more so than blends with a heavy percentage of Latakia; as I'm told Latakia tends to lose some of its complexity with age.

12. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I see the method to your madness now. I'm just too lazy to keep switching jars even tho the quart size is more economical to purchase Almost all of my vegetable canning is in quarts.

13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've honestly only purchased two flats of jars; and both were pint, and half-pint. The quart jars are Classico Pasta jars (Atlas/Mason) that I scald the labels off of, sterilize, and re-use as tobacco jars. I buy boxes of snap lids and rings for $2 when they go off season.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  14. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I definitely get that, though I feel that the sizing down happens so rarely I don't find it all that inconvenient. Also a flat of quart jars are only a few bucks more than a flat of half pints but they hold a LOT more tobacco so it's partly economical, too.

15. krusty

krusty Active Member

I have several of the quart jars filled with SL and Kendal's Kentucky from bulk purchases. I don't bother distributing either blends to smaller jars when I open one and to date regardless the length of time taken to finish one off the tobacco is generally the same moisture level as when it was first popped.

16. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

Same results here so far regardless of the tobacco.

Below comment not towards the quoted post.

Let me say if i'm planning on aging I do not open but I believe the OP was asking about it going stale drying out.

Shawn

17. Splat

Splat Member

Same here. Or, when I get the bacco I'll put some in a pint jar first, then the rest in a quart mason since that's the biggest I have now.

18. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I use 16 & 32 oz wide mouth for long term storage. If I get the bug to open one and start smoking it's contents, I'll transfer it to the short, fat little 8 oz wide mouth jars.

19. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

I’m new to the forums here and not sure how much has been covered in ageing. I’m fairly certain it’s been covered in detail. So anyways here is the way I’m doing it.
    First the only thing worth ageing is VA or something that is mostly VA. This will have an aging return at 1 month, 6 month, 1 year and then 5, 10, etc. You should use new rubber to get a good imprint seal. If you open them the ageing stops at that point then starts again, some feel that the gases will be lost and will delay the ageing cycle. I have 16 oz. that I age in and then I have these 5” snap lid jars my wife bought me for my rotation tobacco. Tins are the same way, once opened unless you jar them will start to dry, the plastic top will not age it.
    Aro tobacco is not worth ageing, just storing for use. If the mix has a good bit of VA then it will age and blend otherwise it will actually start slowly losing flavor at about a year. So store it or smoke it up.
    I try to use the buy one to smoke and one to store method. I’d like to hear how you store your tobacco, and aro experiences.
    Craig

20. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I buy by the pound for storage. I keep them in quart jars and usually am able to top off my rotation jars when I cellar a pound. When I run out of tobacco in my rotation jar i either open a tin to try and use that jar or buy another pound or two to cellar and refill my rotation jar.

The one tobacco that I have been really looking to cellar a lot of is Dark Flake Uncented. I smoke that pretty much as my everyday, anytime is the right time smoke and since I smoke it the most, I buy a pound when my smoking jar is empty to refill my smoking jar and lay the rest in the cellar. Anything else in my rotation is smoked on a whim.

I do have a few aros laid down in the cellar, but have yet to crack a quart open yet. Maybe in a year or so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.