Quest for an everyday smoke...

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Sonic82, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic82

Sonic82 Member

Hi everyone! I’m a little new to pipe smoking, but not to smoking in general. I always liked the idea of a pipe, but my prime motivation is to get me off cigarettes. The right tobacco will help me enjoy the experience more. So, far this may be the most important observation I have is.... I don't need to inhale with a pipe to for gratification like a cigarette...which is a very good thing!

I've also found I don't like aromatics.I actually find a good Cigar the most rewarding for that pure tobacco experience, but I don’t want to evoke the image of a Cigar smoker and a Cigars aroma is generally offensive to most people around you. Is there a pipe tobacco available that parallels a Cigar, but still smells nice like a pipe tobacco? Thanks in advance.

2. Scottly

Scottly Member

I'm sure somebody will point you the right direction for a cigar type blend. I will point you towards Carter Hall. Its a great tasting burley, readily available and worked great to get me off my 25+ years of cigarette smoking.

Elwin, Jeebs, cobbsmoker and 3 others like this.
  3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Scottly's correct, CH would make a great every day
    smoke. I would probably recommend Escudo.
    However, it's more expensive, and may break the
    bank as an every day bowl.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Sir Walter Raleigh or Carter Hall. Granger or Velvet are also pretty good, but they are not consistent. Sir Walter or Carter Hall are always consistent, though, and they are usually easy to get at your local grocery store. If not, they can be ordered easily enough. If you don't mind ordering on line, then Peter Stokkebye has a large line of bulk tobaccos (aro and non) that are very good, and are just as affordable as Sir Walter or Carter Hall.

dgerwin11 and Scottly like this.
  5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Although I don't think there will be a pipe experience that exactly parallels a cigar, If you're looking for something with a little more nicotine that still smells like a pipe, then the OTC Burleys may work, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, etc. These are classic all day smokes, well behaved, and don't usually bite. You may like a stronger blend, something like Peterson's Irish Flake, or Samuel Gawith Black XX rope. Neither of these would be an all-day smoke for me, and take a little getting used to preparing and smoking, but that's just my two cents.

BTW, I think there are a lot of us on the same quest you're on, but I don't see mine coming to an end any time soon, seems like every tobacco I try turns me on to two more I didn't know about. Have fun and good luck!

Gary and RTOdhner like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I echo the recommendation for Carter Hall. :th1:

dgerwin11 and RTOdhner like this.
  7. Sonic82

Sonic82 Member

Has any of your acquaintences commented on Carter Hall's aroma...good, bad indifferent?

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It has a pleasant room note, its light and sweet while smoking and does not linger afterwards and I have always received compliments when smoked around other people, it has the old time pipe aroma that my generation can relate too when we were younger. Cherry Blend is another OTC blend with a very familiar room note.

9. Jay

Jay Active Member

try an inexpensive virginia tobacco. Either in flake or rubbed or ribbon cut. Orlik Golden Sliced is a favorite (flake). I have recently cracked a tin of Mac Baren's Virginia #1 which is a ready rubbed and is nice smoke without a lot of added flavor and is easy on the wallet as well. Peter Stokkebye's line of Luxury tobaccos, lux twist, lux Bullseye, and lux Navy Flake are good solid tobaccos as well with a nice nicotine content for the ex cigarette smoker.

10. Gary

Gary Member

Try Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Could be all day smokes, both very affordable, and enjoyable smokes, and both readily available and good for frequent and short smokes as well as enjoyable for longer smokes, AND (lots of ANDs here, eh?), good for blending with something else should you be so inclined.

Ted Vig and Lestrade like this.
  11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+1.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If you don't mind shopping online, I suggest Old Joe Krantz. It would be pretty expensive buying tins in the B&M every week, but if you buy in bulk online and jar it up, it's pretty cheap. Terrific stuff, has a rich burley taste with definite cigar notes, plenty of nicotine, it's affordable, doesn't bite (me), and...well...it's just good! The only thing is it may not have that "nice pipe smell" you're after, depending on what you're looking for. But I like the smell while it's burning.

Ted Vig likes this.
  13. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

As a fellow pipe noob, I can say that the Carter Hall recommendations are spot on.

14. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I can second the Prince Albert and Carter Hall recommendations, but would also like to add Mac Baren Golden Extra to the list. To me, it is similar to Prince Albert, but with a much more round taste or a more well developed taste. Definitely has tones of chocolate and has a nice room note, natural tobacco, but nice. One pound can be had for less than $30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.