Question about "canning" tobacco for storage

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DrLogik, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrLogik

DrLogik Member

When you folks can tobacco for storage in Mason jars do you pack it tight, firm or loose? Which seems to be the best method for long-term storage?

Also, are there any rituals you go through when canning? (i.e. sterilize the jars, hand cleanliness, etc)

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Some wash and or sterilize used jars, some use new ones right out of the box.
    Some have boiled them, and added the tobacco hot, so it makes a vacuum seal as the jar cools.
    General consensus seems to be for long term, pack the jars so there is as little air as possible(either loose but full to the top, or packed as tight as you can stick in there), or if you're doing flakes, lay the jars on their sides after you lay the flakes in, stacked up parallel to the jar length.
    Probably washing your hands is a good idea to avoid extra contaminants
    Avoid light, and heat,
    Your Mileage May Vary = YMMV
    Many more will be along later to give you more ideas.

YAPPG likes this.
  3. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

4. bosun

bosun Active Member

I pack as tight as I can, using wide mouth quarts. My ready service tobac goes into pints. A thing I've noticed. This computer (and me of course) is down in the dungeon - a finished basement. I'll open up a pint jar, load a pipe, then re close the jar. Next day open it again and the lid remains in place and has to be pried off, so there has to be a slightly vacuum occurring after closing the jar the previous day. Shouldn't be much temperature differential happening as the dungeon is pretty stable. Thoughts?

5. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I always thought it was just the rubber seal sticking to the glass.

Thuber88 and Old Codger like this.
  6. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I keep mine in my basement wine cellar.....perfect place.

Old Codger likes this.
  7. krusty

krusty Active Member

I primarily use 1/2 pint jars, 2oz ready rubbed and 3oz flake keeps em' far from tightly packed but certainly filled.
    Some ritual I s'pose.
    Jars, lids, rings washed.
    New lids for long term, reuse lids for the ones going straight to the smoking cabinet.
    Pre-weigh the tobacco into piles on the newspaper lined counter.
    Lids are all sitting in a bowl of hot water.
    Take a jar and nuke it on high for 1 minute.
    Load tobacco into jar.
    Place lid onto jar and a fingertight ring.
    Let set until cooled
    Label, cellar, give a raspberry to the revenoors (-:

This routine doesn't heat the tobacco and darn sure creates a seal.
    Hmmm... looking at my "process" it almost seem a bit much but it works well for me.
    Not anal, I just like it that way. Not OC either. Everyone checks 3 times that the door is locked don't they?

8. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I like this method a lot! +1 on this.

Oh, by the way, there's another disorder called C.D.O. - It's like O.C.D. but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!!!

Malcontent and Thuber88 like this.
  9. krusty

krusty Active Member

LOL.... or p'raps LLO!

10. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

Planning to use this method to jar up soon :)

question though, hot water meaning tap hot or stove hot (not yet a soft boil)?

11. krusty

krusty Active Member

I just use hot tap water. Just went and checked, mine is running at 110 degrees.
    All that's happen' with the lids is warming up the gasket material a bit to soften it up some. Helps to achieve a seal.

Disclaimer: Municipal water in the valley is pretty darn good stuff. I drink it, all the fish $%^& has been cleaned out (-:

12. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

aH! aH! aH! aH! aH!

krusty and MikeInMaine like this.
  13. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

I pack tight. I've never compared tight to loose, so I don't have any evidence that one is better than the other.
    Rituals: I typically use monkey bones and chicken feathers at the first full moon. (Sorry, couldn't resist.:puffy:)

14. LostDog13

we have really hard water in Germany, so I may just have to heat up some Culligan water on the stove and catch it before it hits boiling point. Not even sure the PUR filter will be able to keep enough of the minerals out, and my lids would just be solid crystals in a matter of months.

15. krusty

krusty Active Member

Your halfway there!
    When I think of the tap water I've had elsewhere, (Riverside CA was darn near white out of the faucet!), I count my blessings with what we have here in the valley!

16. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Nothing special here. I rinse used jars and lids out with warm tap water, dry them good, and load them up. For brand new unused jars, I don't do anything but load them up.

I have previously heated jars to get a good seal, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. As they sit, they eventually develop a tight seal (ie - the lids pop down). I assume this is because the microorganisms in the tobacco eat up the air in the jar.

I use new lids for stuff that I fully expect to be jarred up for a long time before I open it. But I often reuse lids on stuff that I'm going to be getting into soon. They're cheap enough, so I'll only reuse them two or three times before I toss them. I don't know if the rubber seals can absorb smells and "ghost" or not.....but I treat them as if they do, just as an extra precaution. Example - a lid used for a heavy lat blend like Prirate Kake or Nightcap won't be reused for a light Virginia.

I see no good reason to pack loosely, so I pack fairly tightly.

17. LostDog13

Right now I have 60 8oz jars and 24 4oz jars waiting at the house. Plan to use the 4 oz for a smoking cellar and the 8oz for mid to long term cellar. Bulk will be jarred first, then I'll start jarring up tins until I run out of jars. Will weigh an empty jar for reference and then subtract that to get the tobacco weight before assigning "serial numbers" and putting it all into tobaccocellar.com. Just have to delete all of the info I have in there right now to start fresh.

18. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Personally, I just leave tinned tobacco in the tins until I'm ready to smoke some of it.

19. LostDog13

I want to jar some of them because I intend to open them. Hoping to be able to jar a good many of them so that they are broken up and when I decide to open a jar to smoke, then I won't be adjusting the aging process on all of it at once. I've bought a lot of different blends, so I won't be smoking through a full tin of anything all at once. It's a steep slope, and I'm trying to get a firm grasp on what I like, love, and dislike. So far none in the last category yet, though I've found a couple "meh" along the way.

20. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I now cut bulk flakes to length, so they'll stand up in a pint jar. Then I proceed to put as many as I can in there. Ribbon and shag bulks get packed as tight as possible. I'm very careful to make sure a loose piece of tobacco doesn't get between the rim and the seal. Then, I let the microbes work their magic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.