1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Question about Extra Dot on Kaywoodie Stem...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Ksummers99, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

Good Morning Everyone! Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

I have a question, Coastie3202 cleaned up a pipe for me, a Kaywoodie. (Thanks again John...beautiful job!)

This pipe has a dot in front of the Club emblem on the stem. Does anyone know what that extra dot means? Was this a special series? We can't seem to find any info on that Dot. Coastie3202 is a super researcher and if he couldn't find anything...I'm thinking there is something special here. I'll be listing it out on the PSFAuction and just want to be sure I include all the information we can find on it to list it accurately. Nomenclature: KAYWOODIE STANDARD IMPORTED BRIAR, 33.
    :) Thanks for looking! Kristina :hp2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rymw likes this.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

That's so cool ! I have no idea .. I could guess a bunch but I'll wait and see if someone knows

Ksummers99 likes this.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Bill Fauerbach, the guy that runs Kaywoodie, is a member here...if he doesnt see this, Im sure you could shoot him a PM...

Ksummers99 likes this.
  4. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

Thank you VERY much!! I will shoot him a PM. :)

5. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

Oh, can't PM him if I don't know his forum name....can you help? :oops:

6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

kwguy

Ksummers99 likes this.
  7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

:popc::popc::popc:

Lucky Duck likes this.
  8. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

+1 :popc:

9. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

Hello Everyone! I heard from Mr. Fauerbach about that dot. He ok'd copying this here in the open forum. Since this seems to be a mystery...I think I will keep this pipe in my collection along with this documentation. Seems to be an anomaly. :)

"Kristina,

To be honest, I have no idea what that white dot is. The first one I've ever seen. I do not think it was intentional. My opinion is its a manufacturing error. The cloverleaf logos were being inlaid automatically by the early 1950's, maybe even earlier. The stem was loaded in a vise on a rotary worktable. The first station drilled a small hole, the second punched the cloverleaf logo over the hole and then at last station the logo was pressed in. Perhaps the stem wasn't loaded in the vise correctly, the operator noticed it but not before the hole was drilled to close to the end of the stem. He stopped the machine, unloaded the stem and then reloaded in correctly. Then to make use of the stem, they filled the small hole with white plastic dot. That's a stretch but its the best explanation I have at the moment

I also thought it might have been a way to denote a factory replacement stem, but ruled that out because if that's what it meant, we would have seen many more examples of this.
    kwguy, Yesterday at 4:19 PM "

Rymw, Tsalagi44, Thuber88 and 2 others like this.
  10. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Wow. That makes it ultra rare. Possibly a collector's item? Cool.

Ksummers99 likes this.
  11. Springer

Springer Member

Lucky! Sounds like a keeper!

Ksummers99 likes this.
  12. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Wow Kristina. And to think I had that rare beast sitting on my workbench. Nice, very nice. Congrats.

Ksummers99 likes this.
  13. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I would keep that one if I were you too. Unusual is cool.

Thuber88 and Ksummers99 like this.
  14. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Pretty cool. I'm bummed to see you're keeping it (for selfish reasons) but I would do the same in your shoes!

Ksummers99 likes this.
  15. User3940

User3940 Active Member

And to think Henry was going to throw away those two crudded up pipes.

Ksummers99 likes this.
  16. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

And thank you Sir for taking it from :booty:ugly to beauty with the great cleanup job!

17. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

Once he saw the cobwebs inside the bowl...he didn't have any hope for them! :xd: Just goes to show...can't judge a pipe by the dirt or cobwebs!!!

18. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

For anyone who did not see the "before" buttocks ugly condition......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rymw and Thuber88 like this.
  19. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

WOW
    Just read through the thread here and looked at the pictures and explanation or lack there of about the dot. Now thats what you call cool as all heck. Also the fact that you now have some very sound information from one who would most likely know--well I'd say its a rare pipe for sure. I would hang onto that one along with a copy of your response. Yeah--I know--its just a pipe to some folks---but those distinguishing features make it a REALLY cool and unusual along with rare pipe to say the least.
    Its a keeper for sure---Most of all enjoy and cherish it.

Ksummers99 likes this.
  20. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

Agreed, 100%! There was no way I would be able to sell this one. It will stay with the rest of Dad's collection that I'm keeping. I'm researching all the pipe's I'm keeping and put together a diary with the information so that my future generations will have the whole story, or as much of it as I can gather on each of the ones I'm keeping. I've got plenty of pipes for my rotation and lovin each one! My inner hippie has been a very happy gal! :hp2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.