1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Question about Nording's

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by scworrell, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scworrell

scworrell Member

Hi all,

As you can see, I'm new to this forum, and almost just as young in my experience as a pipe smoker, smoking almost nothing besides Captain Black: Gold from my cob pipe. I recently purchased a new Nording (from Duque Cigar Company) as my first briar. You can check it out here.

Since my purchase, I've learned a lot about pipes (in comparison to what I knew before) from this forum, like differences in filter v. dry systems. I can't seem to find anywhere whether the Nording I bought is one or the other. By looking at it I'm assuming it's a dry system, which I would prefer, but what do I know?:whistle:

Does anyone have any experience with Nording's pipes or know which type of system he generally uses? How do they compare with Pete's (another pipe I'm considering buying)? I've read a couple reviews on other sites and people seem to be more than happy with their purchases. I just hope I'm as lucky.

-Rob

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I only own Nordings from the Hunter series. However I'm pretty sure that the Fanatasy series is non-filtered.

3. scworrell

scworrell Member

Thanks Rugby. How do your hunters smoke? Those are some great looking pipes! A little out of my price range for the time being tho...

4. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I've got a Nording Signature Straight Billiard. It came unstained. It smokes very well plus you get to watch it stain itself from the tobacco you smoke. it came white as a baby's butt and is now a medium brown color. The grain and birdseye are popping now. The walls on the bowl are thick but the pipe is light.

Not a bad deal for $50. It's the pipe I smoke at work and in the yard.

5. scworrell

scworrell Member

Not a bad deal at all. I picked mine up for just under $70, and couldn't find it anywhere else for under $85 (or sold out). I'd like to see a picture of your pipe since it started taking color. I took a good long hard look at the unstained signature series, but I wasn't sure how it'd hold up against dirt and all. The last thing I want to do is bring a pipe home that's stained with Iraq :thumbsd:

Thanks for the feedback Sarge. Happy smokin' :cheers:

6. kvv098

kvv098 Member

Looking at the picture I dare to say that your pipe has no filter. The System pipes (petes) have a special drying/cooling chamber in the tenon. Dry System (savinelli) uses balsa filter. Both pipes come with a mouthpiece directing the smoke upward to the mouth roof, as the normal (fishtail) direct the smoke straight into the mouth.
    Personally, I find the upward smoke irritates my more. I prefer the fishtail ones. But everyone is up to it's own taste.

I am just saying, if you are looking for buying a system pipe, try it first. Just suck an air from an empty pipe and see if you like how it feels.

7. scworrell

scworrell Member

:blink: Ok, I guess I was confused as to what to call pipes with no filters, and assumed that all non-filtered pipes were referred to as "system" pipes. A mistake I will not soon make again. Thanks for clarifying!

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Schworrell,

That Nording won't have a filter. Hope you smoke it a lot!

dp

9. scworrell

scworrell Member

Trust me Snake, as long as I have a fresh tin of some reasonable baccy, it will be loved as often as allowed. On that note, I've read some discussions that you should only smoke from any given pipe once a day, to allow it proper time to cool and expel any moisture buildup so that it doesn't sour. Is this accurate? If so, I'm afraid I feel a sudden case of PAD setting in...:phew:

10. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I have a Nording traditional billiard it was also $50, it smokes great, does not have a filter or system, doesn't need them. I don't think he makes any with systems or filters, at least not for sale in US.

11. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I really like Nording pipes. They are well engineered and usually very affordable. I got this one in May for under $80. There's no filter, but this particular pipe has a moisture sump similar to the Peterson System

12. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Scworrell,

I believe that is the case with briar pipes. They should "rest" for about 24 hrs between smokes. If you choose to smoke cobs, clays or meers, they may not need that much time to rest. I know people who smoke the same meer or clay back-to-back. I hope this helps. Phil.

13. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I own a Nording and I find that it is a good smoker for the price. Phil.

14. scworrell

scworrell Member

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I need to go pipe shopping....

15. erickghint

erickghint Member

Did you ever think otherwise? :roflmao:

16. scworrell

scworrell Member

:xd: Well now that you put it that way.... I think I just dove headfirst into the pipe smoking community. Currently looking at some Boswell blends to sample.... I've narrowed it down to (1,2,3,4...)
    Oh, God...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.