1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Question about System pipes.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jayson H Bucy, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Are system pipes like military mount pipes in that you can you disassemble them on the fly? I know I read somewhere that their spigot pipes can be and the systems seem to be a lot like most other companies military mounts.

2. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

I pull mine apart when I'm done smoking them. It is a military mount, so I see no issues.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Most are so you can pull them apart to dump the moisture out while they're still warm.

4. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

Because there's nothing worse than having the reservoir dump back into the bowl!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Good to know, I was always scared I would break the stem or tenon.

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

What would be a good thing to use to coat the inside of the well to prevent moisture from seeping into the wood? I've read that tsung oil is used a lot, but somehow I don't think that is something I want to put in my pipe

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Chap Stick, Natural unflavored.....

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've used Tung oil and Linseed oil with good success in the well.

9. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Does coating the inside of the well significantly improve the pipe's smoking/maintenance? I picked up my first Peterson yesterday and, after giving its first couple break-in smokes, have been puzzling over the best ways to clean the system well and p-lip.

10. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Congrats on the Pete man!

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Why I like to oil the well is that I can then just swab it out with a Q-tip, and get it pretty dry, and the briar isn't absorbing moisture. So after every smoke, you break down the pipe, wipe it out, run a pipecleaner, and you're good to go.

12. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Thanks dude. It was money I kinda meant to save for Boswells, but I've been thinking about a Pete for a while. Walked into a cigar store by me, glanced at the pipe rack, and PAD hit like a bolt of lightning.

Makes sense. The linseed oil doesn't impart any kind of flavor or smell? Also, how often do you wind up re-oiling it, if ever?

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've never re-oiled, no.

Neither tung nor linseed in the well has affected the taste of the pipe in any way. Linseed is okay tasting anyway (the dunhill patent mentions it specifically), but unless you soak the airway and the chamber, you won't notice it at all once it's dried for a day or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.