1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Question About "Used" Pipe Prices

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by IKEE, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IKEE

IKEE Member

I have come across a very nice collection of pipes. The owner recieved the collection upon a friends death. The owner is not a pipe smoker. He says the pipes are "barely broken in". There are over 100 pipes in the collection. I don't think there is a bad pipe in the bunch.

I am mostly looking for Stanwells but there are Dunhills and other high-end pipes.
    Since the guy really doesn't know what he has, it's going to be tricky setting prices. He's no dummy.

My question is this: Let's say I am looking at a Stanwell that costs $100 new. What would be a fair price for a barely used pipe with bag and box?

I sort of wish the owner had said the pipes were in bad shape. It would be easier to low-ball! From the way it sounds though, the previous owner would buy a pipe, smoke it a time or two and put it up!

This is an awesome opportunity and I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal!

Thanks for your input.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It makes a difference if you are buying the whole collection or not.

3. IKEE

IKEE Member

Yes, I would imagine so! I WISH I could get the whole collection but I am afraid my budget will not allow that. I am more realistically looking at 5-6!

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

A used pipe is a used pipe in my opinion; just make him a fair offer of what you think the pipe is worth to you, he will either accept or decline, then the bartering starts!

HCraven likes this.
  5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Whatever you do, don't mention eBay. :whis:

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Others know alot more about this than I, but in your position I would start at about 1/3 the new price.

7. Thomas Ford Jr

Thomas Ford Jr Member

dito the 1/3 for a start.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Things have changed since I was the pipe restoration dude at a pipeshop, but back then if a $100 new pipe smoked even half a bowl, it was then a "used" pipe and the value was $50. That was the standard.

Nowadays the pipe is worth whatever the seller can get for it and whatever you're willing to pay. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than half new retail but it depends on how badly you want it.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Yep, that's a good starting point for decent pipes. That's kinda how I bid on the Bay. I'll go 1/2 on unsmoked and pristine. 1/4 if there are condition issues (green stem, mold and spiders in bowl, etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.