1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Question for you Clenchers

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by smokehouse, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

I’m just starting to get into clenching my pipes. What kind of pipe shapes, and styles, and bends do you prefer, or find it easier for clenching? From what I’ve read in a recent thread it takes a little practice but I am curious if you guys have a preferred bend, or shape and style of pipe that you find makes it easier to clench.
    Im sure weight is a variable too, which would have somthing to do with the shape?
    Is there a certain maker you prefer that makes lighter pipes?

2. ichabod

ichabod Member

Well, for me, any bent pipe is easiest, the more the bend the easier it is.

However, I really only clinch my cob (it's bent). If I clinch any other it's only for a second or so, with the cob I keep it in my mouth quite often...It's pretty light, easy to do and I don't care about tooth marks on the stem of that one that's why.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I clench everything, from my smallest Group 5 to my largest oversized magnum pieces. Habit, I guess.

As Ichabod said, the deeper the bend, the easier it is to clench. I smoke mostly meerschaum, which is lighter than a comparably sized briar but the lightest decent-sized briar I own is made by Luigi Viprati. It holds a lot of tobacco but the full bent shape and the taller but still decently wide bowl makes it lie very lightly on my jaw. He does very well with balance.

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

It's all about leverage. The lighter, shorter, and more bent the better.
    The mouthpiece can make a difference too but it's hard to generalize about what works- depending on the individual's teeth, some shapes, sizes and configurations of the button just seem to fit better.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 with leverage ... I clench alot of straight pipes . Some smaller for sure but others where leverage make the diff

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yeah, the leverage bit does make bents the first choice, I suppose, but there is nothing to stop you from clenching a 2 foot long straight marble pipe if your jaw is strong enough. My straights tend to get tiresome when clenched straight through a smoking session, but since I tend to sit still, I'm able to slack clench them...basically just easing your jaw up enough that your teeth/gums/roof of mouth pin the pipe loosely at a downward angle. Technically not clenching, but it works fine. I like having my hands free, wether to keep them warm, pick my nose, or applaude a birdy for going number two on my car windshield, etc. etc.

7. Zfog

Zfog Member

I wish I could clench, it just isn't gonna happen with my teeth. Poor genes.

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

I have always preferred the straight billiard pipe with a bowl size 2-3, the perfect size for clenching; now I enjoy perhaps the lightest pipe I have ever smoked while clenching, the falcon pipe, a superb smoker and light as a feather, made for clenching if ever a pipe was... :th1:

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I guess I hadn't really thought about it much, but I clench most of my pipes, at least some of the time. My preference is for straight pipes or 1/4 bent pipes, and often, like Yinyang, I kinda slack clench them (my preferred position with my old Canadian). Though weight, length, bend and all the rest make a difference, the two things that make it easier for me are 1) I use softee bit protectors on all of my pipes, which also keeps bite marks at bay, and 2) I am gifted with one of the squarest bites my dentist has ever seen. I can even clench my Calabash for short periods.

Herb

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've noticed that I've been clenching more this year than the previous two. I think my MM Country Gentelman w/Walker Forever Stem may be the start, but not sure. It is light, and comfy to clench. I clench about 50-60% of the time while smoking it.

I've been clenching my other pipes as well, but not as much as the CG. My two Neerups are fairly light and clenchy. The Diplomat is easy on the teephus as well. The JanPipes poker is super light weight and I clench it about half the time I'm smoking it. Most of the rest are fairly heavy & are only clenched to use both hands for something for a few seconds.

11. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Well, the bendier the better i suppose. That being said, clenching a straight is no problem if it is light enough and has the right mouthpiece. I recently took delivery of a Savinelli Piazza straight apple that is a dream to clench. light and fits my teeth.

Aside from bend, what makes a good clencher in my mind is a combination of light weight and it fitting my teeth.

A noteworthy mention in the 'not my kinda clencher' category is the standard falcon moutpieces.. they simply do not fit my teeth very well and i have a hard time holding them in place. I solve this with one of those rubber bits. I see a lot of people do not like them, but they are very useful when a stem just does not want to sit comfortably in your teeth.

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

Falcon stems are slippery for sure, softie bits fit the falcon like a glove and because the bit is tapered it makes for the perfect thickness and bite, wouldn't be without them, that's for sure.

13. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Yeah, i ordered 10 or so of the rubber bits just to try them and while i dont really like them on my bents, like you, i would not be without them on the falcons. They make the difference between beaing able to clench and not.

I usually take a scissor to them though and clip off the thicker part of them. LEaving only a 7-8mm thin rubber band.. all i need.

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

Absolutely, I could not clench my falcon like I do without them, they also reduce jaw fatigue if you clench for long periods of time, and they are very comfortable.

15. angrytruckingguy

angrytruckingguy Member

16. Paul

Paul Member

I love the rubber bits, they're awesome. have em on everything though its more of a comfort thing rather than clenching easily when it comes to bent pipes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.