1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Question: storing your pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by delnotti, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delnotti

delnotti Member

Storing your pipes with the stems down vs. the stems up, what's the difference? Is one way better than the other and why?

2. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

the folks 'cross the pond have been making pipe racks where they hang stem down, here in america, it's the other way 'round. cept for the colonial clay pipes that stand on stem in a rack... myself, I store pipes stem up unless it's a daily smoker, the daily smokers need more help keeping the moisture out of the bowl and shank in my opinion and I hang em stem down so they're not sour when I grab for my everyday beater-pipes...

ultimately though, it's a thing of preference. to each his own, smoke what you like, like what you smoke, Cheers!

AussieTX likes this.
  3. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

And Welcome to the Forum! Life is good

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

After smoking them I do tend to position them with the stem up. I usually place a small piece of paper towel in the bowl to absorb any moisture. And like CMAsailor said, the manner in which the racks are designed dictate how I store or position them at rest.

I have pipes in the boxes they came in as well. And a shoebox of estates I've picked up over the years. I guess it depends on who you ask. Everyone has a preferred method of positioning them for drying. I do know for a fact you need to keep theM out of sunlight as it will discolor your stems to an ugly brownish tint.

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I believe that some types of tobacco can leave more tar in a pipe, and setting one upside down could allow the tar to run into the stem and make it taste sour. This is mostly a guess with some basis on experience. Cleaning a pipe thoroughly should take care of this issue, too.

6. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

My preference is to put a pipe cleaner in the pipe before storing, to "wick," and store it with the stem up. Most everything I smoke burns to a gray ash, but if there is any residual I don't want it working its way to the bit before the next smoke.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  7. Iain

Iain Active Member

I always store 'em stem up, so any moisture will run into the the bowl and evaporate. A good clean straight after smoking should take care of that but I'm lazy and don't always clean 'em straight away.

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Coastal, I do that on pipes I have smoked the daylights out of. I have a big pipe I smoke about 8 bowls in on the day I use it (I need a second one, I loose track of the bowl count so I have to admit it may be more. The bowl is 2" deep so it seems to be more like two bowls in a normal sized pipe)

I have considered using a food dehydrator for it to get dried out in a day... (this is a joke, by the way.)

Coastal Bend likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1

10. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Dang it Raff, you will give our resident Mad Scientist ideas for a new experiment with this idea.
    Please, post responsibly. The pipe you save may be dwaugh's.:rolleyes:

Raffxr7 likes this.
  11. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Just wait till I tell him the Foxfire book series shows how to make a lathe FROM wood... pedal powered and made with hand tools. ThatÅ› about as green as anything can get! IF he does make that, he will be so busy we may not see him for a month!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.